PDA

View Full Version : Removing old plaster board

nofam
22-01-2010, 08:42 AM
Does anyone have any tips for doing this? I started stripping a room last night and it's bloody hard work; the old plaster board is quite thick and full of fibres, which means you can't really rip it out in chunks.

I'm quite happy to plug away at it of course, but any help would be gratefully received.

:thumbs:

Metla
22-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Wonderful stuff that fibrous plaster.Especially on ceilings where the weight of it takes over and it drops on you in big heavy sheets. Don't get it wet whatever you do.

You need to cut it up into smaller squares, A small serrated saw works well, Something like a nail saw you would use for sliding between the frame of a door and the stud so you could cut teh nails to remove the door frame.

About $12 from a hardware store.

tweak'e
22-01-2010, 09:00 AM
just be careful the later fibrous plaster board is structural and you will need to replace it with the same. its used instead of the diagonal bracing strips. they usually only use a couple sheets of it in a wall.

otherwise if its the early stuff then just go hard, sledge hammer or crowbar is your friend. you can cut it but have to watch cables and pipes.

Metla
22-01-2010, 09:06 AM
If your worried about whats behind to then cut a small hole in it, Insert the hook end of your crow bar and start yanking the sheet towards you, when you get a reasonable sized piece off away from the way cut it to a size you can handle.

You should isolate the plumbing and electricity before starting demolition.

Driftwood
22-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I've spent most of my life in the building trade so have been involved with this from time to time. Not so much these days though.
Usually a garden spade is the quickest method but you make lots of dust & finish up with a hairy mess on the floor to clean up.
One bloke I worked for hosed the walls down & left them overnight. Next morning the sheets came away practically whole. There was very little dust but they were very heavy to handle.

Laura
22-01-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm no expert, but it sounds as though you should wear some kind of nose/mouth cover for this if there's dust involved?
Even if it's not asbestos, your lungs need all the protection you can give them for your old age.

nofam
22-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm no expert, but it sounds as though you should wear some kind of nose/mouth cover for this if there's dust involved?
Even if it's not asbestos, your lungs need all the protection you can give them for your old age.

I had that same thought when I started Laura - will get some masks and gloves today. :thumbs:

SurferJoe46
22-01-2010, 11:26 AM
just be careful the later fibrous plaster board is structural and you will need to replace it with the same. its used instead of the diagonal bracing strips. they usually only use a couple sheets of it in a wall.

You gotta be flipping crazy! They use sheetrock for STRUCTURAL SHEER PANELS! :groan:

That's the most absurd and stupidest idea I've ever heard! There IS no sheer strength in sheetrock - that's why it's mandatory to use cripples or at least 1/2" OSB inside it.

If they built the Easter Island statues the way youse guys build houses, there'd be no statues to worry about. :horrified

Youse guys DO get earthquakes - right?

R2x1
22-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Yep, we get a few earthquakes, but (a little like free advice), a high percentage are no great shakes. ;)

plod
22-01-2010, 03:48 PM
You gotta be flipping crazy! They use sheetrock for STRUCTURAL SHEER PANELS! :groan:

That's the most absurd and stupidest idea I've ever heard! There IS no sheer strength in sheetrock - that's why it's mandatory to use cripples or at least 1/2" OSB inside it.

If they built the Easter Island statues the way youse guys build houses, there'd be no statues to worry about. :horrified

Youse guys DO get earthquakes - right?
you may think its crazy but true, from memory the sheets are coloured red. Apparently you could fly a plane into it and it would remain standing. I think I've heard that one before:eek:

Jester
22-01-2010, 06:09 PM
http://gib.co.nz/gib-braceline-gib-noiseline/

Braceline plasterboard. Probably sell it to the seppos too...