PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebytes stoppage

effie c
21-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Malwarebytes to complete a scan- and it, sic., "has found 3 problems"- but suddenly stops scanning and states that Microsoft is working on fixing it-- but I cannot even delete these three problems without going to the end of the scan and then be able to delete them.

Fat lot of good that is-- it is some weeks since I first encountered this- when using XP Pro--now I am in Windows 7 Pro - legaly installed but still getting the same report.Can anyone help please?

I have uninstalled the program and re installed - no change.

All other scans go the distance

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Did it say WHAT the 3 problems were? Do a full scan in safe mode

effie c
21-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi speedy,
No just that 3 had been located- I normally do a succesful scan anyway with Malwarebytes-is "safe mode" essential?

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Well if it stops normally, you cant do it any other way. Or find mbam.exe or go to the malwarebytes folder then rename it, then run it. Then see if it finishes

effie c
21-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Speedy
as I was typing this I ran a successful scan non deep scan- and found nothing-- which suggests the baddies are deep seated

Wheb you say Malwarebytes folder---al I have is the set up exe in "downloads" is there a separate folder I am missing?

effie c

zqwerty
21-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Possibly this may help:

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 07:58 PM
You open my computer / computer. Depending on the version of windows youre using. Then go to program files then the folder

effie c
21-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi sqwerty,

O K ta -- I am downloading that now - will it find the same baddies though?

effie c

zqwerty
21-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't know but it is the latest version and is recommended. Each time it is downloaded it has a different name so malware cannot counter it in simple ways for a start.

Worth a try, just have a look at what, if anything, it wants to delete at the end of the scan and be conservative in what you allow. Hope you have a back up of current state of your system in case of problems, ie Acronis or something similar should be adequate to get back to where you are now if vital files are removed.

pctek
21-01-2010, 09:11 PM
O K ta -- I am downloading that now - will it find the same baddies though?

effie c

Run Malware Bytes as well not this thing instead.
And yes, Safe Mode for sure.
And I'd do a hijackthis as well and post for speedy.

effie c
21-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi PCTek,
Well I unistalled and did a fresh download of Malware bytes scanned- found the 3 baddies -----and STOPPED !
Tomorow I wil take up the cudgel again- but at the moment Malwarebytes has failed miserably- and I have used it for quite some time---:eek:

My elderly brain is refusing to take this all in- so after about 15 hours sleep :crying -----might help
thanks for now
effie c

Pancake
22-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Maybe I can assist.....

Download Combofix.

Please visit this webpage for download links, and instructions for running combofix:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

* Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

You can get help on disabling your protection programs here : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

Caution.....
Never use this program to remove files.Only use it with help from an experienced user.Wrongful use can damage your computer.

effie c
22-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Pancake et al.,

Eureka PCTEK and Speedy and others were right-- against my opinion--:lol: HA !! what a joke my opinion must be

I did a scan in safe mode as suggested- found the 3 baddies and was able to remove--them one, a trojan hacker and two others--what a performance

Tell me why you insist I do such in "safe mode" please- as I have previously stated I always done it in "normal" windows, and found and deleted the baddies found-- why the difference now ?

Should I from now on always do all such scans in safe mode?
Anyway thanks a bunch :blush:

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2010, 11:29 AM
If youre infected with something, it maybe running on startup. Which is why you boot into safe mode (thats why its called safe mode). It doesnt load anything (whatever is in startup, in normal windows), only whats needed to boot into it.

And you've got more chance of removing whatever it is in safe mode. Because whatever it is, it wont be stopping the program / malwarebytes / whatever from updating (if you boot into safe mode / safe mode / networking). Because its not running in the background

effie c
22-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Speedy

Thank you-- I have listened,learned, applied, your skill, and will do that

again thanks

effie c

effie c
22-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi all , again :banana

I have just had a reply from Microsoft regarding these stoppages that caused me anguish this week
below is the reply I have just sent to a mate who asked me if i had installed I/E latest--and I had, so this is probably worth taking an interest in for similar problems

Hi,
Yes I have ---- and there in lies my problem--Microsoft has just conceded that an unknown add-on for Internet Explorer is causing these stoppages that I have had with Malwarebytes etc.
It asks that we disable ad-ons one by one, to see which is causing the trouble- so far I have disabled ad-on,--- tool bars > ask > etc and now await another stoppage to see which is which
Just had another one ( stoppage same as the Malware query ) before I saw the Microsoft reply- so don't know which one it will be from now on--quite an admission

effie c

Speedy Gonzales
22-01-2010, 07:56 PM
If thats askbar, uninstall it, its ad/spyware

effie c
23-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi speedy,

Thanks- that makes things much easier-- yes "ask" bar was there and I stopped it along with all the other add-ons as suggested by Microsoft

I have not had that "Internet Ex has stopped" since, but to be fair I have not had much use in the last 8 hours :sleep

Well here is hoping this IS the answer

Again thank you all

effie c