PDA

View Full Version : Weather Wrongness

pctek
21-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Where do they get their info from?
The forecast today was for rain and thunder.

I picked peas under the blue skies and hot sun. Checked the thermometer at 2pm (in the shade) and it was 33 degrees.

Even I felt hot today and I get picked on for being a wimpy Jaffa here.

It has just this minute started to rain a bit. No thunder. No black clouds, just grey.

Oh and the high for Invy was supposed to be 21. I know we are a wee bit far from there and have better weather than them but that's a rather enormous local variance.

kenj
21-01-2010, 05:57 PM
You must admit, rain and thunder is pretty close to blue skies and sunshine... well, for the weather guys anyway ;)

Ken

R2x1
21-01-2010, 06:01 PM
You have a forecast, and it is the official statement obtained and delivered by experts at great expense. Stop nit-picking and accept the fact that errors are not the forecasters fault. It is just the weather that is wrong, and patently failed to meet the official guidelines and specifications issued. The weather you had was void, and will have to be replaced tomorrow.
This has happened before.

Metla
21-01-2010, 06:03 PM
I find the retrospective forecasts to be far more reliable and just as useful.

Cato
21-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Too hot for my tastes, I don't like it.

When is the forecast ever right? ;P

kenj
21-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I tell my grandaughter, that many years ago, there was a rope hanging down from the sky which was used to change the weather. One pull for rain and two pulls for sunshine. All worked verywell for years until a farmer decided to plant a crop that needed lots of rain at different times than all the other farmers, right in the middle of the crops that needed lots of sunshine.

Well, the battle for control ensued, and from then on, one minute it was pouring and the next minute it was raining!! Lots of shouting and fighting going on.

Then, the rope broke in the middle of a particularly savage fight for supremacy.

That is why the weather has been changeable since that day.

Ken :thumbs:;)

mikebartnz
21-01-2010, 06:18 PM
If I remember correctly you are in Gore which could have a vastly different temp from Invercargill because of the sea breezes there. I remember working for Toby Smith's shearing gang in Herriot and it got pretty damn hot there.

CliveM
21-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Where do they get their info from?
The forecast today was for rain and thunder.

It is the same people who run the Global Warming scam

pctek
21-01-2010, 06:25 PM
You have a forecast, and it is the official statement obtained and delivered by experts at great expense. Stop nit-picking and accept the fact that errors are not the forecasters fault. It is just the weather that is wrong, and patently failed to meet the official guidelines and specifications issued. The weather you had was void, and will have to be replaced tomorrow.
This has happened before.

:lol::lol:

Best explanation I've had.

And mikebartnz - I don't live in Gore either.
I usually look at the Gore forecast, not Invercargill but Gore was way out too. And usually is.

Sweep
21-01-2010, 06:30 PM
:lol::lol:

Best explanation I've had.

And mikebartnz - I don't live in Gore either.
I usually look at the Gore forecast, not Invercargill but Gore was way out too. And usually is.

What I want to know is why you were picking peas in a raspberry field?

pctek
21-01-2010, 06:34 PM
What I want to know is why you were picking peas in a raspberry field?

Other plants occasionally struggle through the ever increasing spread of raspberry plants.............

lakewoodlady
22-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Other plants occasionally struggle through the ever increasing spread of raspberry plants.............

Struggle on brave, brave little plants, but you will be picked eventually!

LL :lol:

SurferJoe46
22-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Here: Torrential rain of biblical proportions, tornadoes, sleet, we even had snow last night until the rain washed it all away.

Oh - and thunder that is ear splitting - I forgot the thunder!!!!!!

We are at 4,200 feet above sea level and had 75 MPH winds (120 KPH) for the past few days although not all the time. It regularly slows down to 50 MPH (80 KPH) for most of the day.

Temps from below freezing to about 45F / 7.2C during the 24 hour periods right now.

Brucem
22-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Green Sunglasses?

Cicero
22-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Here: Torrential rain of biblical proportions, tornadoes, sleet, we even had snow last night until the rain washed it all away.

Oh - and thunder that is ear splitting - I forgot the thunder!!!!!!

We are at 4,200 feet above sea level and had 75 MPH winds (120 KPH) for the past few days although not all the time. It regularly slows down to 50 MPH (80 KPH) for most of the day.

Temps from below freezing to about 45F / 7.2C during the 24 hour periods right now.

I tend to suspect global warming!

roddy_boy
22-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I tell my grandaughter, that many years ago, there was a rope hanging down from the sky which was used to change the weather. One pull for rain and two pulls for sunshine. All worked verywell for years until a farmer decided to plant a crop that needed lots of rain at different times than all the other farmers, right in the middle of the crops that needed lots of sunshine.

Well, the battle for control ensued, and from then on, one minute it was pouring and the next minute it was raining!! Lots of shouting and fighting going on.

Then, the rope broke in the middle of a particularly savage fight for supremacy.

That is why the weather has been changeable since that day.

Ken :thumbs:;)

Wow. I have never in my entire life read something that lame.

pctek
22-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Temps from below freezing to about 7.2C during the 24 hour periods right now.

Is that all? Sounds like Wyndham in winter.

Cicero
22-01-2010, 02:26 PM

Remember there is no charge for these experiences you are getting!

So be grateful.

kenj
22-01-2010, 04:34 PM

You are obviously at least 9 years old so as to doubt my word. Probably not much more than that!

She is 8 and thinks it is a great story.

Get a life roddy :punk

Ken

plod
22-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Is that all? Sounds like Wyndham in winter.
sounds like wellingtons summer

R2x1
22-01-2010, 08:35 PM
The forecast was correct for the weather and the location although the date may have been out by a decade or three.

Cicero
22-01-2010, 11:30 PM
The forecast was correct for the weather and the location although the date may have been out by a decade or three.

A slight inconvenient discrepancy just the same.

kenj
23-01-2010, 05:51 AM
How about Hawkes Bay weather yesterday? Haven't seen a storm like that for many years.

A couple of months ago, we had the overflows in the concealed spouting modified so as to lessen the chances of water running back into the soffit. The water was just pouring out of them onto the ground yesterday at the peak of the rain. The lady over the road had water come in to her house and had an emergency call to the carpet cleaning guys to have it sucked up and dried.

Any of you other Napier guys have a problem?

Ken :eek:

johcar
23-01-2010, 09:59 AM
The biggest issue with weather forecasters is that they're not always wrong....

R2x1
23-01-2010, 12:48 PM
That is a pretty rare event, they have a deal of pride in their record and the ensuing Booker prizes.

Cicero
23-01-2010, 12:54 PM
The biggest issue with weather forecasters is that they're not always wrong....

The same of course could be said of me,if you asked what the weather was going to be.

R2x1
23-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Ah, but your results are only based on luck. Met Service are highly trained (and expensive) professionals who, thanks to the multi mega $ systems they use, can squirt out errors almost instantly.

Cicero
23-01-2010, 01:48 PM
If the result is the same,what is diff?

Both wrong most of time.

R2x1
23-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, you could put your prices up - - -

Cicero
23-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Good thinking.!

prefect
23-01-2010, 04:06 PM
There is a helicopter instructor called Mr Shiny Shoes Clement at Dairy Flat airfield who is so incensed with the forecast being wrong has started a campaign against Met.
He reckons the predictions are so wrong as to be a flight safety issue or a money issue from cancelling flying when the day turns out to be ok.