PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Zone Alarm Files - trying to start at bootup

straka01
21-01-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm helping out an old friend with her PC.
She's had Zone Alarm loaded on her XP PC at some time and somethings gone wrong with it.

Every time it boots up an error message pops up saying it can't load some zone alarm files.

Now I've tried uninstalling it - it won't uninstall - just keeps coming up with the message about the missing files.
I've tried re-installing it - same thing happens.
I've tried to start the PC in safe mode - but it just seems to stall on the screen where it's detailing all the drivers. I've never had that happen before. I've left it up to 10mins - doesn't load up even then.
I thought I could search the registry for zone alarm and vsmon.exe registry keys and delete them one by one - but it won't let me do this either.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get past this problem and either eliminate the program or reinstate it to good health?
Are there any good eliminator programs that may help?
Is there any tricks to load into safemode - I may have more success getting rid of it from there?
Perhaps there's a way of stopping it in msconfig?
Any help appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Try revo uninstaller

pctek
21-01-2010, 05:55 PM
ZA have their own uninstaller - like the Symantec removal tool.
Download it and run it.

straka01
21-01-2010, 06:21 PM
I've downloaded and loaded Revo Uninstaller - the program doesn't show up in the uninstall window - but what a lovely little program. I can't see (quickly) how I can uninstall the fragments of Zone Alarm using this program - maybe I've missed something though!
With regard to the ZA removal tool - can you give me a link to the download oage as I can't seem to find it?
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Here (http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/support/cpes_clean.exe) <- direct link. From here (http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=70034) Run it as admin if youre using Vista. Did you search for zonealarm removal tool at all?

Trev
21-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Go into the system 32 folder in Windows and you should see a Zone Alarm folder, delete it.
:)

straka01
21-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm working on it - will keep you posted. Thanks

pctek
21-01-2010, 08:10 PM
If not, then the manual removal method works if a bit painful to do. I've done it before.....

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 08:12 PM
So have I :lol: Its a PITA to do. Theres a post in here somewhere, where I posted what needs to be done. To remove everything