PDA

View Full Version : Computer shuts down with out warning.

jonathan
21-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi there.
Sometimes when I'm on the computer, (it last happened when I was just surfing the web) the computer acts as if someone has just turned it off at the wall. The screen goes blank and the power light on the front of the computer starts blinking, and holding down the power button to turn off doesn't work. Usually when this happens I have to turn it off at the wall and wait a few minutes. I don't think it overheats, as it doesn't feel that hot, but then again what do I know. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!:banana

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 09:50 AM
If the LED on the case is flashing, it sounds like its going into sleep mode? It happens on this, (the power LED flashes after 30 mins - sleep mode), but pressing a key or a mouse button, should bring it back. What version of windows is on it?

jonathan
21-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Pressing buttons does nothing, turning the screen off then back on, nothing. My version of windows is xp.

wratterus
21-01-2010, 01:30 PM
It probably is overheating - fire up speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php)when the PC is running and let us know what the temps are.

If that is the case, you can try cleaning the dust out of the heat sink and fan yourself, or if you're not the kind of person that likes opening up their PCs take it to a tech. :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Is it up to date with the service packs and updates?

wainuitech
21-01-2010, 02:06 PM
If its Overheating it can also be the PSU that's overheating, not the actual CPU.

A few weeks back I had a customers PC that was doing silly things, in the end I tracked it down to the power Supply, the PC was running at its usual temp, but the PSU was hot as hell esp with its sides on, with no side,it took longer to heat up.

When it got hot, sometimes items wouldn't work as it should Eg: power switches.

The Hitcher
21-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Is it a Compaq/HP laptop by any chance?

jonathan
22-01-2010, 09:28 AM
yes, it is a compaq, but not a laptop. I ran SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) and looked at the sensors, they said core #0 was 64 degrees, and the HDD was 33 degrees.
We took the computer to someone a few months ago and he said there was TONNES of dust in there, but that was only a few months ago.

8ftmetalhaed
22-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Alot of dust can get into a PC even in a few weeks. Clean it out if you know how, and see if that makes a difference.
If you're sketchy, tutorials will be somewhere on the net. Try youtube.

Agent_24
22-01-2010, 02:32 PM
If your CPU is at 64 degrees that could be your problem. Check that the CPU cooler is correctly attached and not loose

jonathan
22-01-2010, 04:26 PM
actually, that 60 something degrees rarely happens, it is usually 30-40 degrees, nd I'm not that comfortable cleaning out the dust. I'll see if I can get a friend who knows a bit more about computers to do it. Thanks guys.:thumbs:

Agent_24
22-01-2010, 04:43 PM
30 or 40 would be normal, 64 is too high I think, it might be set to switch off if it hits 70

jonathan
23-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Ok, thanks guys!