PDA

View Full Version : Men gain more from marriage

pctek
20-01-2010, 02:17 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/3245860/Men-gain-more-from-marriage

Historically, marriage was the surest route to financial security for women. Nowadays it's men who are increasingly getting the biggest economic boost from tying the knot, according to a new analysis of census data.

The changes, summarized in a Pew Research Center report being released, reflect the proliferation of working wives over the past 40 years - a period in which American women outpaced men in both education and earnings growth. A larger share of today's men, compared with their 1970 counterparts, are married to women whose education and income exceed their own, and a larger share of women are married to men with less education and income.

"From an economic perspective, these trends have contributed to a gender role reversal in the gains from marriage," wrote the report's authors, Richard Fry and D'Vera Cohn.

So. Men provided the money and women did all the work.
Now women provide the money and do all the work?

Can see a few bachelor women trends emerging........

Battleneter2
20-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Yea but at the end of the day women still Nag like hell and your lucky we put up with you!

Metla
20-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Perhaps, If marrige is about money.

But if thats all it is , the greedy huas should go earn it themselves rather then be a parasite.

Cato
20-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Yea but at the end of the day women still Nag like hell and your lucky we put up with you!

+1.

Cato
20-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Perhaps, If marrige is about money.

But if thats all it is , the greedy huas should go earn it themselves rather then be a parasite.

+1.

FoxyMX
20-01-2010, 02:56 PM
So. Men provided the money and women did all the work.
Now women provide the money and do all the work?

They will probably just pay for someone else to do all the work.

hueybot3000
20-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Marriage doesnt really mean anything anyway, its just as easy to get out of a marriage as it is to get into one. Seeing as its no longer a life commitment it holds no meaning

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Good thing I've never bothered then

FoxyMX
20-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Marriage doesnt really mean anything anyway, its just as easy to get out of a marriage as it is to get into one. Seeing as its no longer a life commitment it holds no meaning

Sadly, marriage isn't the lifelong commitment that it used to be years ago, but don't run away with the idea that living with someone is an easier option. Splitting up after three years means that each partner can make a claim on the other's assets just as they can if they were married.

Gobe1
20-01-2010, 03:09 PM
They should be tied to the kitchen

kenj
20-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Bollocks... Spoken like a true idiot :) SWMBO and I have been 42 years wed this year. Wouldn't have swapped it for the world. Means a heck of a lot to us both. Please do not rubbish something of which you obviously have no knowledge!!

Ken

Sue
20-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Congratulations Ken & Mrs Ken, wishing you both many more years together.
I'm also married, to my best and dearest friend.
Takes two, both giving 75%, to make it work but it's well worth it.

Metla
20-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Marriage is standing before your family ,friends, community and your partner (and sometimes God) and stating this is what matters to me, and in order to maintain it, This is what I pledge. This is how I will live my life because I have something deserving of that effort.

If you never get that then its your loss, and its not the same commitment as two people who just decide they will stay together as a couple.

Just because some people are shallow or selfish doesn't make its meaningless.

hueybot3000
20-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I wasnt meaning to offend, its just hard from a 20y/os point of view to take marriage seriously, when every marriage around them seems to split. (and this isnt coming from a broken home point of view, my own parents happily married for 20 years)

I'm all for settling with a woman and that lasting a lifetime, that is both a good effort by those involved and something that can be enjoyed for as long as they live.

I just don't believe it makes any difference whether the two are married or not. Marriage is a commitment, but its the same commitment that any long relationship asks of the two involved.

But you're right kenj, I know nothing at this point, maybe I'll think differently in 10 years

hueybot3000
20-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Marriage is standing before your family ,friends, community and your partner (and sometimes God) and stating this is what matters to me, and in order to maintain it, This is what I pledge. This is how I will live my life because I have something deserving of that effort.

You are wise beyond your years. I guess I kinda agree with that

plod
20-01-2010, 04:39 PM

If you never get that then its your loss, and its not the same commitment as two people who just decide they will stay together as a couple.

Just because some people are shallow or selfish doesn't make its meaningless.
will have to disagree a little, have been with my partner now for 20 years now, two kids. The thought of marriage comes up every few years. We aren't against, just haven't got around to it. I'm committed no less in my relationship then a couple that is married.

Metla
20-01-2010, 04:51 PM
will have to disagree a little, have been with my partner now for 20 years now, two kids. The thought of marriage comes up every few years. We aren't against, just haven't got around to it. I'm committed no less in my relationship then a couple that is married.

I can respect that.

gary67
20-01-2010, 07:49 PM
We married because SWMBO asked me to marry her. I possibly wouldn't have otherwise although there are huge benefits, I was a crap bachelor.

John H
20-01-2010, 08:55 PM
My wife first took me out to dinner (and paid) on my 19th birthday. We have been together ever since and I am now 64 ("Will you still love me, will you still need me, when I'm 64?")

We will have been married 44 years this year. I can recommend it.

As far as pctek's quote is concerned, there have been times when I have supported the family financially, and there have been times when my wife has been the main breadwinner. But on the whole, the relationship has been of mutual benefit.

I know one swallow doesn't make a summer, but on the basis of my experience, I think marriage can be very good for both men and women. Then of course, I must say that there is only one couple amongst our contemporaries who have lasted the distance. But almost all of them have got married again, even the ghastly ones. So they must see some good in it.

Strommer
21-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Marriage. A wife. This pic says it all:

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/a_good_wife.jpg

:D

Battleneter2
21-01-2010, 07:07 AM
There is 3 rings in marriage, engagement ring, wedding ring and suffer ring.

pctek
21-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Remember people, that's what it was - a quote. Not my own opinion.

Now at present neither of us earn a major amount.
I do most of the housework but that's because I like to cook - he does the cutting, fetching and splitting of firewood, and he does actually clean the oven.

Marriage is more than just who earns what. And it takes work, and compromise.

We have been married a fair while now, not as long as some others as he was having a number of practice attempts with others first and got off to a late start. :wub

mikebartnz
21-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Ken & Mrs Ken, wishing you both many more years together.
I'm also married, to my best and dearest friend.
Takes two, both giving 75%, to make it work but it's well worth it.
That then makes it 150% does it.

Cicero
22-01-2010, 04:53 PM
That then makes it 150% does it.

Apart from their abilty to do the washing up,remember girls have trouble with numbers.

R2x1
22-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Nearly all marriages are a lifetime commitment; it's just that some are measured in doggie years, some in mayfly years, and others are too busy having fun to notice the time.