PDA

View Full Version : Recieved call: NZ/AU travel scam.

Nomad
19-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Heard that scam before on FairGo. Someone with a strong indian accent calls up saying $119 per person (?) travel and accom to AU or NZ or something like that .....

I just said I'm not interested, we don't do much travelling. If he pushed, I would of said, I don't have a passport and I am a unemployed poor student :clap

These days I tend to have 2 mobile phones after we went with 2 Degrees. I leave all the admin stuff on the Voda handset and only tell a few people of my new #. I also these days tend to give shops and job people my Voda number and don't mention landline at all, given other people use the landline and that a mobile phone can reach me at more places.

If I had my own place, I am not sure if I would get a landline, Woosh seems good for net and email, I use 3GB a month only and content on 256k connection, or the Telstraclear cable looks appealing that does not require a landline. So I am not even paying for VOIP connection.

Currently the landline is convenient and even if we add all the tolls up (mostly international) we don't spend $30 a month on average. Probably more like $10-15 on tolls a year - averaged per month. If a occasion comes up then we might .. some do calls and we use 4c/min calling cards. The landline is useful to have, mostly to receive calls. Some are not literate enough to use VOIP under Naked ADSL and cos we are on a 256k connection it is maybe the same or even less with the phone compared to Naked ADSL (which is FS/FS).

hueybot3000
19-01-2010, 05:40 PM
And the point is?

Cato
19-01-2010, 05:58 PM
And the point is?

PF1 has become a blog... Haven't you noticed? :p

paulw
19-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I had one of those calls last week. Told the guy not interested..

bevy121
21-01-2010, 05:20 PM
I've had them ring a few times over the last months now - they don't even seem to get the message when you are downright rude to them! LOL

there's another thread here (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106335) about the subject, and more importantly a whole heap of people who have already been ripped off by them in other countries here (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k1890895-Astar_travel_genuine_or_a_fraud-Orlando_Florida.html)