PDA

View Full Version : win xp and win steadystate

Tony
18-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I have been experimenting with Windows Steadystate under Windows XP. All has been OK until...

I disabled the disk protection (to see what would happen), and it required a restart. On restart, it got as far as showing the XP progress bar screen, briefly, then re-booted. It now does that all the time. I get the "windows did not start normally" screen, but whichever option I choose - safe mode, last known, etc., I get the same result - it gets so far and then reboots.

The PC is dual booted with Win7 32 bit RTM, and at one point I chose to boot win7. It did a huge disk check and recovered mega files etc, so it looks like the disabling of steadystate rooted the XP file system. Win 7 runs OK (I'm using it for this post).

Fortunately this box is just used for experiments, so it is no huge loss, just a PITA, but I would be interested if other members have had any similar experience.

The other thing which may be relevant is that I have an add-in card that gives me a couple of extra IDE ports, the driver for which loads early in the boot sequence, and I wonder whether that has confused xp/steadystate.

All opinions gratefully received.

Tony
20-01-2010, 07:59 AM
bumpity bump bump.

Speedy Gonzales
20-01-2010, 08:03 AM
By the looks of it noone uses it

Tony
20-01-2010, 09:43 AM
By the looks of it noone uses itAnd maybe now we know why...