PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router for Gaming

Thebananamonkey
18-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi All,

I know that wired is the ONLY way to go for the best gaming experience, but I don't really have that luxury in my new place.

So I'm looking for a replacement for my current 11G router. Someone suggested ethernet over power as an option. Another option is to get an 11N router. Any experience with this?

Basically, I'm looking to bring my ping down to as low as possible without running a massive ethernet cable throughout the house.

Budget probably up to about $200...

Thanks,
Banana

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I've found in my personal experience that Ethernet over Power ended costing more, and the Jitter was greater than compared with a Wireless solution over the same distance, in both the two different occasions I've tried it.

I'd avoid N-Wireless for now, personally I'd recommend you go for something like the Linksys WRT54GL, pop the Tomato Firmware on it, increase the power output to 81mw (I think is the "ideal" for those routers), then get yourself a larger antenna, like a 9db Omni. The whole setup shouldn't really set you back more than ~$180, depending on the cost of replacing both the antenna.

I've actually setup some very good gaming rigs over wireless, my wife *only* games over Wireless, my sibblings back living with my parents also have great, reliable experiences even though they're over 50m from the main router (Across a carpark, past a tin shed, through a couple of walls). Trouble is it's all too easy to do a bad setup, that's why wireless over gaming got it's "name".

What's the distance, and how many walls? Can you draw a rough diagram of the router location vs your location, in something such as mspaint?

Hope this helps

Chill.

fred_fish
18-01-2010, 01:06 PM
increase the power output to 81mw (I think is the "ideal" for those routers).

Plus you can enjoy popcorn, popped right on your desk! :D

Thebananamonkey
18-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Distance, point to point is probably about 15m, but I'm notoriously bad at guessing these things...

It's going through the floor/ceiling and one wall if you draw a direct line between the two.

That router costs the same as a lot of N routers... and while I trust you (honest!), wouldn't it be a better idea to modify one of them for better bandwidth? Also... are there any dangers involved in modding these? I'm aiming at having children eventually. :)

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2010, 01:36 PM
None whatsoever, the antenna easily screws on / off.

N-wireless is nice, but you won't get the same range with a G-Wireless client and an N-Wireless router as you will with a G-Client and a G-Router + Bigger antenna... heck you could even debate that N-Client + N-Router would give you the same range as the G-Wireless setup ;)

Thebananamonkey
18-01-2010, 02:59 PM
What about latency with one of these things? Is it much/any worse than a wired solution?

Bandwidth probably doesn't matter so much as we're not likely to be streaming too many HD movies or anything when I think about it. Also saves me buying an N adapter for my computer.

Are these the antennae you're talking about?
http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=381010

trinsic
18-01-2010, 03:37 PM
As long as you don't use the Wireless Zero Config provided by Windows you should be good to go (use the manufacturer supplied program). The problem with it is it has a tendency to look for networks way too often causing spikes in latency, which you don't want while gaming.

Chilling_Silence
18-01-2010, 06:18 PM
AFAIK that antenna won't work, wrong connector. Try:
http://gowifi.co.nz/Antennas/2.4-GHz/Omni/2.4-GHz-7dBi-RP-TNC-Rubber-Duck-antenna/flypage_gowifi.tpl.html

The WRT54GL has two, so grab two of them.
WRT54GL is $115 + GST: http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NETLKS4618
Total cost: $179 + GST

Latency, we find adds around 1-2ms on average.

With some decent power output, you'll get a pretty darn decent speed :) The WRT54GL comes with a 3dbi antenna I believe?