PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 Forums - Slow Flash Script?

ryanjames.powell
16-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Often when I navigate to a page on PressF1, I get a message (after some delay) saying,

"A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?".

If I click Yes to this, all is well again and the page comes up. I am guessing it has something to do with one of the ads on the page? Does anyone else get this? I have never seen it happen on any site apart from PressF1, and it happens quite regularly.

Here's a screenshot:
Attached file: PressF1_Flash_Problem.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/PressF1_Flash_Problem.jpg) (237 KB)

Jen
16-01-2010, 10:40 PM
It has been mentioned before. I would block the offending advert and send an email to the site webmaster - the link is at the bottom of the page. Let us know if you get a reply.

wainuitech
16-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Its a regular occurrence on some browsers, esp IE.

Someone going to say use Firefox, and use ad blocking BUT this is meant to be a Computer Help Forum - and its disgusting you have to revert to measures to block this kind of thing -- its the only site I go on that has the problem with flash / Ads.

The average person wont know how to block these damn ads. They have driven away MANY people.

Jen -- I think I will do what you suggest as well -- maybe the powers to be, if they get enough complaints may actually do something -- But I wont go holding my breath.

B.M.
17-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Your dead right Wainui.

The other day when I was hit by that Security Tool Virus/Trojan I had to use my laptop, (which hasn’t got any add blocking software on it) to seek help on here.

Boy, did I get a shock when I saw this site in all its radiant beauty. :dogeye:

I can’t understand how anyone puts up with the proliferation of Adds. :confused:

I guess it’s obvious who the poor relation is, but I doubt they’re doing themselves any favours. ;)

ryanjames.powell
17-01-2010, 08:46 AM
OK, thanks for your advice. I have sent an email to the webmaster. The ads don't bother me that much, it's really just the waiting for flash to "time out" so that I can abort the script that's annoying. I'm not sure which ad it is either, although there seem to be very few different ones. I'll have a look what ads are on the page next time it happens.

gary67
17-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi there

I don’t know if you have by any chance looked at the Press F1 site recently without any add blocking software but if you haven’t I suggest you do. For a computer help forum it is a disgrace

1. the pages load extremely slowly,

2. flash causes no end of browser hang-ups for people,

3. the adds really obscure the layout

I know for a fact that these problems and more have driven plenty of people away, for a computer help forum it’s a joke that you need help to just be able to navigate the site properly. Come on its time this mess was sorted out once and for all.

I look forward to your reply

Gary

I have just sent this message to the webmaster lest see if we can get everybody to do something similar please.

nedkelly
17-01-2010, 09:07 AM
I never run any ad blocking software on any of my browsers and pressf1 loads quite quick for an adsl 1 connection

Scouse
17-01-2010, 09:29 AM
I posted about this some weeks ago. I am just about at the stage of giving the whole site a miss after regularly waiting for the screen to complete and then getting that damn message. It is the only site I visit that does this to me. Why should I have to identify and block a specific advert?

gary67
17-01-2010, 09:37 AM
You shouldn't have to that's why we are encouraging people to contact the webmaster as well

Pancake
17-01-2010, 10:41 AM
This will tell you the reason for it....

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15512.html

Slim
17-01-2010, 04:32 PM
It has been mentioned before. I would block the offending advert and send an email to the site webmaster - the link is at the bottom of the page. Let us know if you get a reply.

How can you identify a ad or script if you have clicked the yes button to remove it.

wainuitech
17-01-2010, 05:00 PM
I suspect its This particular ad (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Guess.jpg) - It seems every single time its running, the page gets that flash error message if you try to navigate to another page, any other ad running it doesn't do it.

ryanjames.powell
18-01-2010, 04:01 PM
SUCCESS!
Has anyone noticed that the ads have been changed from flash ads to text ads? Here's why. I got this reply from the webmaster today:

Hi Ryan

Thanks for your email. We’ve checked the site to see if we can locate the script problem. The most likely source for the script problem you’ve experienced would be the Google Ads that appear at the top, the side and the bottom of the forum. Your screenshot shows that the side skyscraper is the likely culprit. One of the other users on the thread you created also thinks it is the Ironkey ad along the side.

We’ve changed the ads to text ads to see if that resolves the problem. If it doesn’t please let us know.

Regards

Edward Porter
DDI: +64-9-926 9110
Email: edward.porter@ffxbusinessgroup.co.nz

Sweep
18-01-2010, 04:08 PM
The site still is loading like a snail on tranquilisers anyway.

wainuitech
18-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Tried IE again just now , yesterday it was :sleep flash error etc, now it loads in about 2 seconds -- Thats fine by me :thumbs:

Edited: just emptied the cache just in case it was "helping" 3-4 seconds from clicking the bookmark to fully open - no errors.

Sweep
18-01-2010, 05:10 PM
It has improved since I posted. Must have been a temporary glitch.

gary67
18-01-2010, 05:25 PM
I received this email today

Hi Gary

Thanks for your feedback. We’re keen to hear about any issues you have with the forum and how we can improve it. We’ve had some feedback today from users who were having problems with slow loading pages and script not loading, so we’ve made some adjustments to the Google Ads on the forum to see if they alleviate the problem.

As for design changes to the forum – that is on our list of priorities to fix when we make changes to the PC World site. We will try to address all your concerns then.

If you have any further suggestions, please drop us a line.

Regards

Edward Porter

feersumendjinn
18-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Much better!

Jen
18-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Glad your emails got some prompt action. :)

Trev
18-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Yes I got a reply too.
:)