PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Tsunami

hamstar
16-01-2010, 09:06 PM
WTF? Any news peeople?

Sweep
16-01-2010, 09:10 PM
If you're watching TV3 it's a film called Aftershock.

hamstar
16-01-2010, 09:15 PM
:O

Oh *** wat a tard...

My flatmate just turned on the tv and called out to me holy **** tsunami hit wellington!

Sweep
16-01-2010, 09:24 PM
When "War of the Worlds" was first broadcast apparently people thought it was real too so you're not the first. :)

KarameaDave
16-01-2010, 09:24 PM
:lol: You beat me Sweep, I was going to mention that!

psycik
16-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I think the first tiem this aftershock thing ran, the tv3 news mentioned it that there was a program on and those that didn't know about it and channel surfed would see what looked pretty real.

Good to see if still caught some people the 2nd time round.

wainuitech
16-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Gulg gulp bubble pop glug gurgle :lol:

Its been a bit on the wet side here today.

Nomad
17-01-2010, 11:05 AM
:lol: We are in anarchy. No government.

I give you the benefit of the doubt, it did look genuine - the TV3 news and that guy with the glasses - the presenter - looked a bit like Alistair Campbell. :D

ROFL. :)

paulw
17-01-2010, 02:27 PM
WTF? Any news peeople?

You had better not turn to CH2 next week Jan 27 when Day of the Triffids is on then..

johcar
17-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, paulw - just scheduled it on the TiVo via Genie! Part one of two... The second one must be the following week - can't see it yet because TiVo EPG only goes out 14 days...

I'm sure it won't be as good as the original movie though...

Brucem
17-01-2010, 03:29 PM
For those interested in disasters, read "Magnitude Eight Plus" by Rodney Grapes, published by Victoria University Press in 2000. This is subtitled "NZ's Biggest Earthquake" and deals with the 23 January 1855 earthquake centred on Wellington & Wairarapa. Such an event today would almost certainly be extremely destructive and would probably give rise to a tsumani.

Strommer
17-01-2010, 03:38 PM
WTF? Any news peeople?

We watched a few minutes of that program last night and SWMBO said she thought some people would find it upsetting as they would think it was true. My reply: "Anyone can see it is not the real tv news. No one would be fooled unless they are stoned or something." :banana Good going Hamstar. :clap

robbyp
17-01-2010, 04:13 PM
For those interested in disasters, read "Magnitude Eight Plus" by Rodney Grapes, published by Victoria University Press in 2000. This is subtitled "NZ's Biggest Earthquake" and deals with the 23 January 1855 earthquake centred on Wellington & Wairarapa. Such an event today would almost certainly be extremely destructive and would probably give rise to a tsumani.

Thats why I am surprised house values in Wellington, especially in those low lying areas in Wellington around the airport, are so high, perhaps the highest in NZ. Wasn't all that area underwater before the 1855 earthquake anyway. Basically after a really big earthquake in Wellington, a lot of Wellington possibily wouldn't be rebuilt (at least not for many years), and the government would probably move up to Auckland. Parliment is base isolated , but I don't think that system would cope with a really huge earthquake.

mikebartnz
17-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Thats why I am surprised house values in Wellington, especially in those low lying areas in Wellington around the airport, are so high, perhaps the highest in NZ. Wasn't all that area underwater before the 1855 earthquake anyway. Basically after a really big earthquake in Wellington, a lot of Wellington possibily wouldn't be rebuilt (at least not for many years), and the government would probably move up to Auckland. Parliment is base isolated , but I don't think that system would cope with a really huge earthquake.
They would move parliament up to Auckland which would then have one of it's long dormant volcanoes erupt.;)

johcar
17-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I think we all just want one really localised BIG earthquake in Wellington - something to swallow up the Beehive (when Parliament is sitting, of course!), but leave the surrounding area untouched.

A man can dream, can't he? :)

paulw
17-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, paulw - just scheduled it on the TiVo via Genie! Part one of two... The second one must be the following week - can't see it yet because TiVo EPG only goes out 14 days...

I'm sure it won't be as good as the original movie though...

I saw it last week on a HD download. Not too bad actually. The events have been brought up to date. Nice to see something that was shown on BBC HD last week in December being shown here so early. Bad thing is that TVNZ in the usual way it does things is showing it in SD..

paulw
17-01-2010, 06:17 PM
They would move parliament up to Auckland which would then have one of it's long dormant volcanoes erupt.;)

Auckland's old volcanoes will not erupt again. There will be new ones next time

R2x1
17-01-2010, 06:25 PM
They don't make volcanoes like they used to. Take Taupo for example, that had a pretty good kick to it.

bob_doe_nz
17-01-2010, 06:58 PM
They don't make volcanoes like they used to. Take Taupo for example, that had a pretty good kick to it.

Of course it did. It stopped a war.

feersumendjinn
17-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Which war was that?
Last eruption was some 1800 years ago :)
http://www.geonet.org.nz/volcano/activity/taupo/about.html
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0401-07=

Nomad
17-01-2010, 11:02 PM

I don't think Miramar around the airport is the peak. Seatoun is quite pricey as well as that bay around the airport, known for the beach location - Lyall Bay. Nah ... house prices are not as high as Auckland.

Highest me think is maybe Roseneath, Oriental Parade, Thorndon, Mt Victoria et al ....

Lambton Quay was former in water too :p

Heaps more jobs if the capital relocates to Auckland with all the govt depts......

bob_doe_nz
17-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Which war was that?

Not sure where I heard it. Supposedly in a BC era or near it. The ash cloud blocked the sun when two warring factions were fighting. They took it as a sign to stop and make up.

hamstar
19-03-2010, 11:22 PM
183AD it was... there weren't supposed to be people in NZ then.

Unless you believe whats written at celticnz.co.nz but thats just a load of baloney... or is it...

Anyways if you want a real spectacular show then I hear yosemites going to be pretty good. Biggest caldera on earth it think and its something like 250,000 years overdue.

When it finally goes it will probably take the whole of north america with it. Fun times. Cleanse all those god damned christians from the earth, but it will prob dust up the atmosphere which will be no fun for anyone.

Humankind is a plauge on this earth anyways, the sooner it/we is/are wiped out the better. :P

Have a nice day :)

kenj
20-03-2010, 06:52 AM
I think it is Yellowstone National Park you are thinking of?

Ken

hamstar
20-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Sorry, yes Yellowstone.

R2x1
20-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Didn't their local OSH put up posters prohibiting eruptions in National Parks?

Hosed off a lot of teenagers planning to break out..