PDA

View Full Version : CPU Ratio Change

bot
16-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Hi All,

When I turn on my computer, I get the following message at startup: Warning! CPU has been changed, or CPU Ratio changed fail. Please re-enter CPU settings in the CMOS setup and remember to save before quit! The ratio is and always has been 133x21.0. Another strange thing is that if I highlight the Load high performance defaults, the description is After Enable This Item Failed, Please Clear CMOS. I have cleared the CMOS and nothing's happened. My motherboard model is a MSI MS-6787 if that's any help.

trinsic
16-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Try loading safe defaults.

Sweep
16-01-2010, 09:04 AM
If the board is over three or four years old it is likely you will want a new CMOS battery.

bot
16-01-2010, 09:53 AM
OK it doesn't have a safe defaults option. I'm sure the battery's not flat because it keeps the time but I will replace it anyway.

KarameaDave
16-01-2010, 10:03 AM
So when you say you cleared the CMOS, did you have the power unplugged
then removed the battery and set the clear CMOS jumper?
just checking because if the power is connected it will not reset.
Also is your BIOS up to date?

Burnzee
16-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Hi Helensun

Have you made any hardware changes recently?

BURNZEE

bot
16-01-2010, 04:03 PM
I tried to flash the bios. The BIOS updater said "File size does not match!" but I still said yes. Then it went onto the update screen. About half and hour later, there weren't any write ok marks so I turned it off. I then found out that the bios version was the same as the one I was trying to update. I unplugged the power, and removed the battery for a minute then stuck it back in.

Burnzee
16-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi Helensun

Seems like there is some stuff up in your Bios. Access your Bios Setup, PRESS F1, (pun intended!!), :punk :lol:, (or whatever it takes on your computer), after boot. Restore the Bios Defaults, (:groan: the option must be there somewhere!! :groan:). Don't forget to save the changes!! Exit and reboot.

If you can't find the Bios Defaults, let us know the make and model of your computer. The Press F1 Crew might be able to provide further help.

BURNZEE

Sweep
16-01-2010, 06:11 PM
When in the BIOS look down the bottom instead of the menu at the top.

Is there an option to press F5 for default settings?

bot
17-01-2010, 08:56 AM
It's award bios so i assume the key is F5. The motherboard is a MSI 6787(AKA P4MAM-L) and the bios version is 2.1. Here is a link to the website:
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=553&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=4

Burnzee
17-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Helensun

Using your link, I've managed to locate THIS (http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_2). Scroll down until you find "BIOS flash failed during BIOS update". Follow these steps and hopefully your problems will be over!!

BURNZEE

bot
17-01-2010, 01:30 PM
OK I will give that a try.

Agent_24
19-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Have you checked\replaced the battery yet?

If you are getting "File size does not match!" errors in BIOS upgrade you may likely have the completely wrong BIOS. If you force a flash you could screw your board up.

Have you made sure that you have downloaded the correct BIOS for your board?

MSI sometimes use the same number eg: MS-6787 for different boards, you need to check with the name matches as well.

So when you say you cleared the CMOS, did you have the power unplugged
then removed the battery and set the clear CMOS jumper?
just checking because if the power is connected it will not reset.
Also is your BIOS up to date?

An out of date BIOS won't randomly start having a problem for no reason. A buggy BIOS either has a problem or it doesn't. If the problem wasn't there before and it is now, something has changed, and it won't be the BIOS.

Either the battery is dead or the hardware is faulty.

bot
19-01-2010, 08:20 PM
The problem is that my version of the bios is more recent than the version on the website so I can't flash the BIOS. I don't think the battery is flat because it keeps the time and all the settings. I am considering the possiblity that the hardware is faulty.

KarameaDave
19-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Time to upgrade?

Sweep
19-01-2010, 08:24 PM
The problem is that my version of the bios is more recent than the version on the website so I can't flash the BIOS. I don't think the battery is flat because it keeps the time and all the settings. I am considering the possiblity that the hardware is faulty.

Did you do the F5 to load default?

bot
19-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I will try f5

bot
19-01-2010, 08:35 PM
OK you cant load f5 on the main pages. What page should I load it in?

Agent_24
19-01-2010, 09:46 PM
If F5 doesn't work there should be a menu item called "Load fail-safe defaults". Try that?

bot
20-01-2010, 12:15 PM
there is only load optimized defaults (i tried that and doesn't work) and load high performance defaults

Sweep
20-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Sorry for the long post in advance. I have downloaded the user manual. :eek:

I take it you have opened the case and checked the motherboard model as mentioned in all the blurb below?

Have you changed the battery?

You say that the bios you have at the moment is 2.1 but the latest I could find is 1.2.

You say the you took the battery out to clear the CMOS but you really need to find a jumper called JBAT1 and change the jumper to clear the CMOS. I presume you did not do that.

Have you changed the battery yet?

Blurb
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Note:
The BIOS and DEVICE DRIVERS contained here are exclusively for Micro-Star products only. Micro-Star assumes no responsibility for any damages resulting from improper use or lack of technical expertise.

WARNING!!!!!
DON'T FLASH FROM A FLOPPY DISK!!!!
DON'T FLASH WHEN YOUR SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE!!!!
DON'T FLASH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

Award BIOS Flash Procedure
(Special Thanks to Forum Moderator Bas for his valuable contribution)
1. Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH DISABLED and ENABLE it, some boards have this function.
For Example:
K7N420 Pro (MS-6373) – BIOS setup/Integrated Peripherals/BIOS Protect/Disabled

2. Know Your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like “W6373MS v2.1 122101” This means the board is MS-6373 with BIOS version 2.1
Hint: Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press “PAUSE” or disable the “Quick Boot” in the BIOS setup.

3. Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here
http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_478.php (http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_478.php)
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php (http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php)

4. Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:\test

5. Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.
How to make boot floppy in case your don’t have it ready:
For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.
For WinMe, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.
For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.
For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

7. When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: <enter>
cd\test <enter>
C:\test> awdfl783m BIOS file
(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user’s decision)

8. Reboot your system when prompted

P.S. If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/note.htm

AMI BIOS Flash Procedure

(Special Thanks to Forum Moderator Bas for his valuable contribution)
1. Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH DISABLED and ENABLE it, some boards have this function.
For Example:
K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) –BIOS setup/chipset setup/BIOS protection/disabled

2. Know Your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like “A6380MS v1.7 122101” This means the board is MS-6380 with BIOS version 1.7
Hint: Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press “PAUSE” or disable the “Quick Boot” in the BIOS setup.

3. Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here
http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_478.php (http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_478.php)
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php (http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php)

4. Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:\test

5. Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.
How to make boot floppy in case your don’t have it ready:
For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.
For WinMe, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--> add/remove program-->make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat & config.sys file if there's any.
For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.
For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

7. When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: <enter>
cd\test <enter>
C:\test> amifl827 BIOS file
(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user’s decision)

8. Reboot your system when prompted

P.S. If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/note.htm

Flashing the BIOS for Non-FAT file system (Thanks to Forum Moderator Assaf for his valuable contribution)
1.Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH DISABLED and ENABLE it, some boards have this function.For Example:
K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) -BIOS setup/chipset setup/BIOS protection/disabled

2.Know Your model number
b. Boot up your system & take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like "A6380MS v1.7 122101" This means the board is MS-6380 with BIOS version 1.7

3.Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here
<http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/socket_478.php>
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here <http://www.msi.com.tw/support/bios/more.php>

4.Extract the file you have downloaded to a floppy (not the win ME/98 startup floppy) by double clocking the file in windows mode and supplying the path a:\

5.Boot the computer using a windows ME or windows 98 startup disk. It must be one of these! A plain boot disk will not be good enogh.
If you do not have Windows ME or 98 to create the floppy you can make one on a friend's computer.

6.When boot is done there will be a message on the screen showing :"Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive" followed by a single letter.
This letter is the leter assigned to the RAMDRIVE. This RAMDRIVE is a virtual drive in the system memory and can be accessed and controlled like any other drive with DOS commands such as:
MD - Make Directory
Copy - copy a file
Deleate - Deleate a file

There is one important difference which is that being in the system memory this drive is wiped once the computer is restarted or shut down.

7.Replace the startupfloppy with the one containing the flash utility and bios ROM files previously extracted in windows.

8.Copy the 2 files to the RAMDRIVE by using the DOS command copy.
Here is an example, in this example the flash utility is AWFL814B.EXE ,the ROM file isw6373nms.220 and the RAMDRIVE letter assignment is D

copy awfl814b.exe d:\
copy w6337nms.220 d:\

9.Change the current working directory to the RAMDRIVE root directory, with the example case of the RAMDRIVE being drive D this is done by simply done with the command d:

10.Execute the flash utility with the ROM file as a command line argument, with this example:
awfl814b w6373nms.220

If you wish to save the current bios you must specify the full path a:\filename. Specifying only a file name will save the bios to the RAMDRIVE which will be wiped after restarting the computer and the file will not be saved.

a:\bios.old is an example of the correct way to save the bios.

11.Reboot your system when prompted

12. If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps!

bot
20-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I have reset the bios and i know this because the time was reset and the year was reset as well. I did reset the jumper, removed and replaced the battery and unplugged the power. However, the motherboard support page is for board version 1.2 and i have the board version 2.0. I can't find a page for board version 2.0. I didn't flash from a floppy, instead flashing from a flash drive.

Sweep
20-01-2010, 08:56 PM
My guess at this time is that you actually have a msi p4mam-v (ms6787-060)

This because it came out with bios Ver 2 and the current bios is Ver 2.6

The other clue was you said the file size did not match when you flashed.

I will see if I can track down a link for that.

Looks like it probably is this one:-
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=577

See if you can find what should be printed on the motherboard like p4mam-v

DO NOT FLASH WITH THE WRONG FILE otherwise you may end up with a doorstop.

If in doubt get back to us.

bot
21-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I will give the flash a shot. On the motherboard it only says ms-6787 but I will check again.

Agent_24
21-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I think Sweep is right, you have a different one (And probably the p4mam-v he just linked to) As I said, the MS-XXXX code can refer to several similar boards, so you need the actual model name

If you can't see a model name written on the board itself, check the POST screen messages or use a program like Everest to read the info from the BIOS.

(Also why it didn't let you upgrade to version 1.2 because it was for the wrong board)