PDA

View Full Version : 2gb of RAM too much?

h0b0_321
15-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I recently got a 2GB RAM card but my motherboard can only handle 2GB in total I'm afraid it could burn my motherboard up, so is it better too just get 2 1GB RAM cards or keep the 2Gb?
(I use XP, my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots and the other RAM card in there is 512MB)
My main question in this situation is will the 2GB RAM card burn up my motherboard?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Probably be better if you got 2x1 GB sticks, if there's 2 slots

ronyville
15-01-2010, 09:57 PM
My main question in this situation is will the 2GB RAM card burn up my motherboard?

Nope, it should work fine.

Agent_24
15-01-2010, 10:23 PM
The only way you can burn anything is with incorrect type of memory or faulty memory (or if you put it in backwards!). So please make sure first that the new memory you just got is the correct type!

If the memory size is too much for the board to handle, the PC will usually just not start and beep at you, and you'd have to take it out and put smaller modules in (and by smaller I mean smaller capacity in mega\gigabytes, not physical size)

Take out the 512MB stick and put the 2GB stick in instead. If the computer doesn't work, then you'll probably have to get 2x 1GB sticks.

Even if one stick does work, it may not be the best solution. If your board supports dual-channel, you need two matching sticks. If you run just one stick, it will run in single-channel and won't be as fast. But without knowing what board you have, we can't say much about that.

pctek
16-01-2010, 08:28 AM

If you add more than it can use, it either won't boot or it just won't see it.
It's not going to blow up or anything drastic.

Why not just use the 2GB module and remove the 512mb one?