PDA

View Full Version : "This copy of Windows is not genuine" ???

Active
15-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Turned on computer yesterday to see my desktop background is gone with a black screen in its place. Ok, I thought, minor glitch in Windows, and changed it. Today there is a message in lower right corner 'Windows Vista Build 6002 This copy of Windows is not genuine'. I assembled this system about 20 months ago, installed Vista Home Premium from a brand new OEM disk purchased from Ascent, and have never had a problem with activation etc before. It's never been installed on another machine or anything so I don't understand why this message has suddenly appeared or what I should do to resolve it. Any ideas? Running fully updated version of SP2.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Ring / send an email to Ascent

Sweep
15-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Have you had any recent hardware changes and if so then what?

wainuitech
15-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Some malware is known to trigger that message - what do you have in the way of security software, Eg: antivirus, antispyware ??

Active
15-01-2010, 09:31 PM
First off, thanks a lot everyone for your thoughts/suggestion :clap

Last hardware change about 9 months ago for a graphics card with a faulty fan (thanks for the forward replacement Ascent! - outstanding after sales service, meant I had no downtime at all) been meaning to give them a plug for that for awhile.

After reading recommendations on PressF1 I switched from Avast to MS Security Essentials about 2-4 weeks ago. I did a full scan with this program earlier this week. Am currently doing a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Thinking back I remember seeing an MS prompt in the last week or two saying something like 'Windows is not activated/registered, click here to activate now'. I clicked and within moments it reported that activation had been successful - similar to what I remember seeing after a fresh install - last one maybe 8 months ago.

I thought in this situation I would be able to activate/register/whatever over the internet, is that the case? Or does it look more like a malware problem? The only software I've installed recently is Dropbox. Cheers.

wainuitech
15-01-2010, 09:35 PM
If it still throws its toys out, re-enter the code you have and reactivate it, if it refuses, follow the prompts through for phone activation, and you eventually get to speak to a real person, tell them what appeared, and they should manually reactivate it. (you may need/ be asked to quote the COA )

Active
15-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Under system it shows 'Windows is activated', but on the desktop it says copy not genuine. I can unequivocally state that it is a genuine, legal version and I have no pirated software whatsoever on my system.
Sorry if I wasn't clear about the activation status earlier on.

wainuitech
15-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Did the antivirus and malware scan complete ??

Also try Spybot S&D if you dont already have it.

Active
15-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Still performing MBAM and MSSE scans, 0 objects infected so far. I used to use Spybot but stopped a couple of years ago. I have SuperAntispyware but must admit I haven't done a scan for several months. Would you recommend running Spybot over SuperAntispyware?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Hmm on one site a guy had the same prob. He updated / installed SATA drivers and got the same message. Did you do something similar? He had to reinstall the original drivers to fix it. Is this a Nvidia / Nforce 4 based system?

Active
15-01-2010, 10:11 PM
No haven't installed any drivers for at least a couple of months. Partner may have but I highly doubt it. Most recent Windows updates have been Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and definition update for MSSE.
Specs of my system:
Intel e8200 Wolfdale
Gigabyte EP35-DS3P
Corsair 2GB DDR2-800
Asus 8400GS
Seagate 500GB 7200.11 (SATA)
Asus DVD-RW (SATA)
Coolermaster case + PSU

Thanks again for your ongoing help.

Agent_24
15-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Your problems are most likely due to WGA (Windows Genuine disAdvantage), which is a steaming pile of ****.

It detects fully legal systems as pirated for no good reason, and usually fails to detect pirated systems and passes them off as legal (I know because I've done it before)

It's just another one of those "Piss off the legitimate consumers to their wit's end and only slightly annoy the pirates who have figured out how to bypass it and fail at actually stopping piracy" style of copy protection that should never have been invented. (And can, depending on your point of view, actually encourage piracy)

You may have not given your product key to anyone, but there are some malware\viruses that steal them and send them back to the authors. I was nearly hit by such a virus myself in the past.

Active
15-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Great now I'm getting blue screens!:waughh: had been running SuperAntispyware for about 10 minutes after downloading all the updates -it had found 3 adware tracking cookies, nothing to major when it crashed - something about memory management. After restarting I noticed the message in the desktop corner had gone, I'm not convinced that the problem is fully resolved however. Restarted scanning, will see what turns up. I'm going to be away for a week, but will post when I get back to follow up on it. :punk

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Tell us what the BDOS says. And if you can get back into windows, untick automatically restart

Active
15-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Agent 24, yeah I also thought perhaps it might have something to do with WGA. Those phishing viruses sound like a worry, are you able to explain how you nearly got hit by one?

Active
15-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Yep back on Windows now - seems ok. I'm not a hundred percent sure how to get the BSOD log, will have a hunt around...

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Press the windows key + pause. Then advanced / bottom option. Untick auto restart. So, you can see what the BSOD is saying

Agent_24
15-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi Agent 24, yeah I also thought perhaps it might have something to do with WGA. Those phishing viruses sound like a worry, are you able to explain how you nearly got hit by one?

I was running Norton Antivirus at the time. No, seriously, that's why.

Luckily their firewall wasn't as useless as their antivirus, it popped up telling me some weird program was trying to access the internet. I blocked it and then did some research. After finding an antivirus that actually knew what the virus was, I then discovered it was designed to steal product keys of whatever it could get its hands on, including the Windows key.

Sounds like your BSOD and activation issues are probably caused by the same thing. And that's probably a virus or faulty hardware causing data corruption. If you can tell us what the BSOD says it might help figure out what is doing it.

I'd be running memtest for a start, just in case. losing your data is a lot worse than having to fix some weird activation issue..

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:56 PM
On the MS forum one guy said it maybe a syncing issue. Wait for 24 hrs, and see if it disappears (if its only just appeared)

Active
15-01-2010, 10:57 PM
If Windows is starting normally will unticking auto restart still allow me to see the last BSOD? Sorry if I don't quite follow...
Will run memtest as well, got it on a CD somewhere.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:59 PM
If Windows is starting normally will unticking auto restart still allow me to see the last BSOD? Sorry if I don't quite follow...

It'll tell you what the stop error is (show it on screen), (and maybe the name of the file thats causing it), the next time it crashes

Active
15-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Understood. So there's no way to view past ones? I had a look in the event logs but couldn't make much sense of it.
btw, MBAM scan was clean SuperAntispyware returned just the 3 tracking cookies, which I've since deleted.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 11:16 PM
You can go to event viewer . Start/run type eventvwr. It maybe under system, or application, on the left. You would have to go thru the entries here (it maybe one of the entries that have a ! or X beside them)

mraxa
17-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I m getting the same problem !!! :S

gary67
17-01-2010, 01:16 PM
I m getting the same problem !!! :S

Possibly the cracked software you mentioned in the other thread

feersumendjinn
17-01-2010, 01:19 PM
:thumbs:.

wainuitech
17-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Lets have a look and see if we can see whats actually wrong - download This here (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) - run it, when finished, select copy, and paste back the complete report.

Edited: this is for the Windows not genuine problem.

wainuitech
17-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Add to above : Edited 2. Just replicated the not genuine problem and fixed it as well, so the fix may work for you, but need to look at that report first.

13yroldcomputerguru
18-01-2010, 12:24 PM
unfortunatly your getting viruses because ms security essential is just some cheap software from microsoft. i've tested it on a extremly infected system which is still infected now and it picked up nothing no trojan worms anything, avast did when i poped my hardrive in my dads pc as a secondry drive

+1 for avast!

Agent_24
18-01-2010, 12:43 PM
And if you had installed Avast! instead it probably wouldn't have detected anything either, it probably had rootkits installed etc.

Most AntiVirus fails to detect and clean everything if you install it on an already infected computer, where the virus has already put measures in place to help it stay hidden.

However, when you put the drive into another computer and scan it "offline" then the viruses can't hide as they aren't active and are easily detected.

For a Microsoft product, Security Essentials isn't actually that bad, apparently.

DeSade
18-01-2010, 12:51 PM
MS Security Essentials is great, its the best free anti to come out in a long time.
IMO.

wainuitech
18-01-2010, 12:56 PM
The problem may not be a virus - that's why I asked for the report in the previous post - if its what I suspect then there is an option that may repair/fix the problem BUT it could be one of two things, and both fixes are different.

BTW MSSE is better than Avast - I have done several tests on various drives with Avast and MSSE, each time MSSE did better. What Aget24 wrote is fully correct - viruses/malware can and do block AV programs from detecting if the infection is already there.

mzee
19-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials is very good, in my opinion!

Re: activation, I once got so pissed off that I installed a pirated Vista and had no more hassles.I justified it by the fact that after spending many $'s on a genuine copy of Windows, I was entitled to a bit of service!

Active
25-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Back from my week away and have just run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool as you advised WainuiTech. It reported back that status is 'Genuine'. (I'm not keen to post it because it displays IDs and product keys etc, was there anything else in particular I should be noting?)

bk T
25-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials is very good, in my opinion!

Re: activation, I once got so pissed off that I installed a pirated Vista and had no more hassles.I justified it by the fact that after spending many $'s on a genuine copy of Windows, I was entitled to a bit of service!

+1

wainuitech
25-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Back from my week away and have just run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool as you advised WainuiTech. It reported back that status is 'Genuine'. (I'm not keen to post it because it displays IDs and product keys etc, was there anything else in particular I should be noting?) One reason its coming up with the message is the License store may be corrupted - Vista cant read it to confirm its legal, so it says its not, which is the default.

Right I have played about with this - there is a WARNING -- IF this doesn't work it well make the system not boot as it is now, it wont go past asking to be activated, and windows wont load. I made two PC's in the workshop invalid to get the message - this fixed them.

One out of the four times I was playing about it did fail.

I managed to reverse it by making a restore point first, then booting into safe mode and running restore, that fixed it. Had that have not worked I would have had to use a third party CD or the Vista DVD to allow restore to run - this was on a PC that I had changed the Vista Drive to another PC, so that could have been the problem.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK:

First make a restore point.

Next --- Click Start, type in cmd right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'

The following commands, hit enter after each command.

Type: net stop slsvc (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)

Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar

Type: cd %windir%\system32

Type net start slsvc

Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient) NOTE: this is where it failed

Reboot Twice

You may be required to re-enter the Product Key and/or Re-Activate. Use the Activate by Phone method.

IF it fails, you will have to boot from your Vista DVD, load it to the point of installing, but select bottom left hand corner - repair my computer, follow through and run system restore from there.

Edited: in this line --->> %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing

The only gap is at the start cd % and % \ Twice I had to enter it in a second time as it didn't work, said invalid path, the rest is all continus, no gaps, the web site here may be putting in gaps -- IGNORE them, esp in the word roaming.

wainuitech
25-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Just looking at above, the bold print may make it a little hard - there are gaps in the commands, eg: where it says cd %w---- This stands for Change Directory, then %W--- is windows.

I've attached the commands as a text document here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Vista_Not_Genuine.txt) - may be easier to read.

Just remember IF you run this make a restore point and have a Vista DVD handy so you can reverse it if needed.

Active
25-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Wainui, I think I won't try that at this stage, but will keep it in mind if those issues continue. My system seems better now, although Firefox 3.6 has caused a few problems of its own.
Many thanks for all your help.:clap