PDA

View Full Version : HDD plastic part at connector breaks off.

Nomad
15-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi, I have a SATA HDD. Around the data connector (not the power), there is a PCB thing that you connect to the SATA cable. The plastic around it has broken off and is stuck inside another SATA cable.

The HDD does work but the cable is kinda lose.

I probably won't do anything, but for those inclined, what is available?

Cheers.

wratterus
15-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Glue.

pctek
15-01-2010, 06:49 PM
You have to be careful with glue, some of it isn't suitable for the heat it generates and its too easy to shoirt it.

Electrical tape is better.

Just use the sata cable that has the plastic bit in it, reattach and tape it.

Paul.Cov
15-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah, you're kinda in a similar situation to me. Some time ago I managed to damage two pins on the HDD side of an IDE connection, to the point where continued unplugging and plugging of the cable is gonna rip out the weakened pins and leave me with a totally poked drive.

Best bet is to get the cable plugged in, and from that point on, if you need to unplug, unplug from the MoBo end, and keep the drive and the cable effectively 'married' forever. At it's worst it might cost you another cable so that you never have to disturb this one.

Agent_24
15-01-2010, 10:10 PM
The best course of action would be to replace the power\data plug assembly, provided of course you have the correct soldering tools and appropriate skill..

Failing that, tape or glue is probably good enough if you're worried about the cable falling out, though it probably won't unless you start moving your PC around too much