PDA

View Full Version : Copy a drive using Norton Ghost V 9

curly
15-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Oddball failures are occurring with my present HDD, like it makes significantly more internal type noise than usual. It also seems warmer than I remember it, even after 10 minutes or so. I have also had some Kernel-Data-Inpage- Error's.

OK, I have Norton Ghost version 9 and I noticed the option "Copy one drive to another". Great, as I understand it, Ghost would copy my entire HDD to another, so in the event of a failure of my present HDD, I could just swap drives and carry on. Well that's the way I read it anyway.

Did it, removed the origional HDD, and installed the new HDD. Trouble is that though the new drive is seen, I get the message NTLDR is missing.

Does this mean the operating system, Win XP Pro, was not copied across ?

Sweep
15-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Probably the copy was not made bootable.

Does Ghost 9 have a clone mode? If so use that.

pctek
15-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Use this instead:
Disk Copy 2.3

Does it properly unlike that Ghost

pkm
16-01-2010, 04:43 PM
It sounds like it missed the hidden system files in the root directory? I normally use ghost to partition > IMAGE instead.

Terry Porritt
16-01-2010, 06:18 PM
I've just carried out some partition to partition copy comparison tests using Easeus Disk Copy2.3, Norton Ghost 2002 originally from Norton Systems Works 2002 package, and Symantec Ghost 11.5 from H...n's Boot CD. (it is not supposed to be named on PF1, but ire is the missing bit.

I used my back up Athlon XP2600+ computer with a 160GB IDE HDD, partitioned C:\ 41 GB, with 10706MB data; and D:\ 108GB with 80.4GB data. File system NTFS.

The destination IDE HDD was 80GB in a plugin caddy.

Edit: I copied C partition in each case.

Results:
Easeus Disk Copy 2.3
Copied size 41.04GB
Copy speed 1.15GB/min
Time 35 mins 36 secs

Norton Ghost 2002
Copied size 10706 MB
Copy speed 1.07GB/min
Time 9mins 16 secs

Symantec Ghost 11.5
Copied size 10706MB
Copy speed 740 MB/min
Time 14 mins 28 secs

Comments: It appears Easeus Disk Copy, as well as copying sectors with data, also copies empty sectors which would explain why it copies the whole partition and takes much longer.

Whereas the two Ghost versions seem to be more intelligent and only copy the data to the same sized destination (41GB) partition, thus greatly reducing copy time.

Norton Ghost 2002 is much faster than Symantec Ghost 11.5 even though the GUIs look identicle.

I found the Easesus GUI somewhat ambiguous with it having 'Select source partition' and 'Select destination drive' both on the same page.
I had to go to the Help to figure out what to do. (that might be an age problem :) )

The Ghost GUIs are self evident with no ambiguities.

Conclusion: Ghost 2002 is for me the prefered backup and copy/cloning program.
I've had no problems with it copying IDE to IDE, IDE to SATA, SATA to SATA, SAT to IDE, with FAT32 or NTFS, and have used it since 2002 with WIN 98 and XP.