PDA

View Full Version : Can We At Least Sell You Some Nice Google Stock Options?

SurferJoe46
15-01-2010, 01:46 PM
In an indirect response to Google's refusal to continue government-ordered censorship, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu maintained that "China's Internet is open" open, that is, in the sense of being closed to certain information.

(cont'd) ........"The Chinese government administers the Internet according to law," she said, "and we have explicit stipulations over what content can be spread on the Internet. All companies willing to accept those restrictions are welcome to do business in China", she said, leaving the converse unspoken.

Oh, and those sophisticated hacking attacks against Google and other U.S. companies that seem to lead back to China?

"China's law prohibits cyber crimes including hacker attacks," said Jiang.

Putting the fundamental divide into even sharper relief was Wang Chen, information director for the State Council: "Effective guidance of public opinion on the Internet is an important way of protecting the security of online information. ... China's Internet is entering an important stage of development, confronting both rare opportunities and severe challenges. Internet media must always make nurturing positive, progressive mainstream opinion an important duty."

Obviously, Google and China are working from different mission statements.

Can you define: "effective guidance of public opinion" for me - one more time?

Greg
15-01-2010, 03:04 PM
LOLOL :D

ubergeek85
15-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Communism.

johcar
15-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Brainwashing.

But the Chinese are well-known for calling a spade a "short-handled digging implement"

R2x1
15-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Not any more, it is now a "Hickory-handled coal conveyor, manually powered".