PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Hardrive.

Mister
14-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Hello.

So I just installed a new 1TB hard drive, on top of my old 500gb one. It was going fine for about a week, but now, it makes this Creaking/clicking sound sometimes. I've googled this and found a lot of different sound samples, but mine sounds different from all of them.

I'm pretty positive it is the 1TB one, because I can put a bit of pressure onto the drive and the sound goes much quieter.

The sound is hard to explain. It sounds like, clicking or creaking, kind of mixed together, tapping metal, aswell, but in a very low tone. It also sounds like scraping. But as I said, it's kind of hard to explain the sound.

I've already made backups of the data that was on it, just in case, I just can't decide if this is the so called Clicking sound.

http://www.datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/seagate

The sounds on that page sound similar, but the ones that sound similar have beeping sounds in them. And my does not.

I can easily return or replace the product from ascent, I was just wondering if I should.

Thanks

Sweep
14-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I suggest you download Seatools and run the diagnostics.

Mister
14-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Ooohh...

Everything passed.. But during the test the sound was happening a lot more.

Sweep
14-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Well I guess if you are not happy you could send it back anyway.

Are you sure it's not the way it's fitted?

And did you do the full test?

Mister
14-01-2010, 10:35 PM
It was mounted in the case. I've tried different places, they all make the same sound.

Sweep
14-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Well the only other thing to check would be the SMART status of the drive assuming you have it turned on.

gary67
15-01-2010, 05:40 AM
email seagate and ask them maybe since it's passing all the tests

wainuitech
15-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Sometimes all the tests in the world show a drive is good, yet it still fails. Send it back and get a replacement. From that link you posted,
Under special conditions this coating starts to flake and tiny bits of this substance stick to the head read/write elements. Reading becomes more and more unstable, the drive starts losing tracks and at some point typical symptoms or bad heads appear - clicking, knocking, sweeping sounds: , , making the data inaccessible.

All drives make some sound when working, some worse than others - contact Ascent and advise them of whats happening, any good shop will exchange the drive since its new.

pctek
15-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Hello.
it makes this Creaking/clicking sound sometimes.

I can easily return or replace the product from ascent, I was just wondering if I should.

Hell yes. Right now. Never mind what the test said, it doesn't always pick up everything.

Mister
15-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Alright. Thanks.

Sent a request to ascent. :thanks