PDA

View Full Version : To VOIP or not to VOIP

WalOne
14-01-2010, 12:10 PM
That is the question :groan:

I'm tempted to join up with Xnet VFX. On the face of it, I'll save heaps on my phone bill, get much much more in the way of supporting goodies. And find a use for my Orcon Gigaset SX763 WLAN DSL other than sitting on my desk looking sexy.

Can anyone offer me any comments on the quality of service and product for VOIP in general, and Xnet in particular? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Nomad
14-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't know about quality, someone else may answer that.
I am also not sure if VOIP voicecalls would cost you data too.

Money wise.
VFX is a FS upstream and downstream I think. Compared to FS/FS to a standard ADSL connection, you are paying approx $20 more. If you compare to a std phoneline, that is approx $40, the net result is $20 less. VFX is naked adsl.

To me its saving $20 using VOIP than a std phone.
We have a std phone and use those phonecards to call overseas at 4c a minute.
Best is cable internet with Telstra and pay juts internet and no voip and no phone line :D

If you don't need FS/FS, then the gap lessens.

Oh, you may also need to spend money on VOIP hardware, this may include the router and VOIP phone handsets. Your cheap Telecom / The Warehouse phone won't work but there may be converters available but not cheap IMO.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2010, 06:57 AM
Close, but lets go over a few things first:

- Xnet Fusion is Naked DSL, and it's bundled with a VFX Line.

- You *want* FS / FS because if you're on a single uncompressed VoIP call it's going to use around 85kbps. On a 128kbps upload it means that if you literally fart near the router, you'll end up getting packet loss and a poor sounding call, let alone trying to browse the web while you're talking on the phone ;)

- ATA Adapters are available for ~$55 from csdesign on TradeMe (The Grandstream HandyTone HT-486) so you can use a cordless phone or an el-cheapo Warehouse / DSE phone. I've ordered from the guy, he's good, reliable, includes some setup instructions he's written himself that you may find useful (Even if they're not entirely accurate in some points).

- Also, your router should be good, look underneath and try and find the "reset" dimple. It'll allow you to login and set your own trunk from a provider in the WebGUI, which is locked down by default.

Now comes the shameless plug: Don't use Xnet :(
I personally can't stand them, their quality sucked when I was last with them a year ago. They had issues left, right and center, their helpdesk / support was non-existent, codec support was poor to say the least, and their web portal left something to be desired.
2talk (https://www.2talk.co.nz/signup/referral.html?code=carecom) on the other hand are priced competitively, their "bundled minutes" is awesome, not to mention you can buy a $10 addon for 100 Cellphone Minutes in NZ, their line management portal is great, full featured and easy to use, and their quality is actually good, they're reliable! :)

My 2c, hope this helps :)

prefect
15-01-2010, 08:08 AM
their helpdesk / support was non-existent, codec support was poor to say the least, :)

What is codec support how would it affect me?

paulw
15-01-2010, 08:16 AM
I would agree with Chill on 2Talk. Have had a second line from them for the past 12 months and @ $15/month it's good value..

Erayd
15-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Having recently abandoned VFX in favour of 2talk (after months of rather poor service - VFX used to be great, but it certainly isn't any more) I'd also have to agree with Chill.

WalOne
15-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys, the kind of constructive feedback I was looking for. Re VFX, caveat emptor: I'll steer clear of them and follow up on your recommendations.

Chilling_Silence
15-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Codec support means ways of compressing the call so that it uses less bandwidth. You might like to use something such as iLBC which has the best quality out of the compressed codecs, and it's also free. VFX don't support it.

...Just one example ;)

Nomad
15-01-2010, 02:16 PM
To me voip is a $20 phoneline kinda thing.
Telstra cable - not the slowest one, allows you go pay not once cent to voip or phoneline. Woosh is similar but people say not the best connection.

There may be other ISP that does voip - look at call rates and std fees and if data for calling is counted in your usual internet cap.

R2x1
15-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I have no idea what I am doing wrong with VFX, but the helpdesk was great both times I used it, the service went through a slow patch a month or so ago, but since xmas has been excellent again. Never had any issues with the phone side of things, it is far better than I had from the previous regular phone service.
Maybe all the leeches have left so things are great, or perhaps I am just lucky?
Possibly because the incoming line (And the outgoing too ;) ) pass through the laundry the signal gets cleaned up nicely?
I will forgo suggesting it could be because there is minimal M$ crud.