PDA

View Full Version : Don't Feed Your Dog Raisins or Grapes.



Trev
14-01-2010, 09:02 AM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
:)

CYaBro
14-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Yea got told this just a couple of weeks ago by a vet.
Chocolate is a no no for dogs too.

Terry Porritt
14-01-2010, 11:29 AM
......or large frequent amounts of liver...or to cats, causes vitamin A poisoning.

KenESmith
14-01-2010, 11:50 AM
When feeding your dog leftovers - don't include anything with onions either.
Pork either cooked or raw is also bad news- it builds up fat in their blood and leads to pancreatitis.

pctek
14-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Or aspirin to cats or lilies to cats or a whole heap of things to cats. They have hopeless livers apparently......... Makes it hard for vets to find suitable painkillers apparently.

Renmoo
14-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Or Panadol

R2x1
14-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Panadol should not eat raisins or grapes? Damn, I always treated Panadol as a vegetarian pill.
Should The Grapes Of Wrath have been titled slightly differently?

globe
14-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Our dog loves grapes and has heaps. She is fine.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Or aspirin to cats or lilies to cats or a whole heap of things to cats. They have hopeless livers apparently......... Makes it hard for vets to find suitable painkillers apparently.



Yet nother reason why dogs > cats


BTW my brother in laws dog recently stretched up to the back door lever handle and opened it, went through the house and ate all the xmas chocolates he could find. The bugger eats and chews anything and is very fit and healthy. 8 month old black lab.

johcar
15-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Yet nother reason why dogs > cats


BTW my brother in laws dog recently stretched up to the back door lever handle and opened it, went through the house and ate all the xmas chocolates he could find. The bugger eats and chews anything and is very fit and healthy. 8 month old black lab.

That explains it - Labs are well-known four-legged vacuum cleaners. Will eat anything at all, even given less than half a chance. :)

Clever too - opening the door... :clap

Jester
15-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Gawd if I heeded all that advice of what dogs should not eat I'd be in a constant state of worry and at the vets every 5 minutes.

We too have a black lab (here's a question ... why do people call them "Black" Labs? We get people come up to us in the street, asking if he's a Black Lab ... yes , well he's a lab and he's black, it seems that somehow you have to include the colour when referring to him .. I never hear, "oh look at that black poodle" lol ok rant over)

Anyhow, where was I?

Oh yeah, our baby, called Mosh, eats everything he can. A vacuum cleaner is an apt description!

Terry Porritt
15-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Gawd if I heeded all that advice of what dogs should not eat I'd be in a constant state of worry and at the vets every 5 minutes.

We too have a black lab (here's a question ... why do people call them "Black" Labs? We get people come up to us in the street, asking if he's a Black Lab ... yes , well he's a lab and he's black, it seems that somehow you have to include the colour when referring to him .. I never hear, "oh look at that black poodle" lol ok rant over)

Anyhow, where was I?

Oh yeah, our baby, called Mosh, eats everything he can. A vacuum cleaner is an apt description!

We have a black lab X too with white paws, tail tip and chest, so she has a dash of Border Collie I expect.

They are called 'black' because labs come in 3 colours, black, golden, chocolate, just so you don't get confused, especially if you happen to be colour blind I ??? :confused: :

"Labrador Retrievers are registered in three colors: black (a solid black color), yellow (anything from light cream to "fox-red"), and chocolate (medium to dark brown)."

"Labradors have a well-known reputation for appetite, and some individuals may be highly indiscriminate, eating digestible and non-food objects alike. They are persuasive and persistent in requesting food. For this reason, the Labrador owner must carefully control his/her dog's food intake to avoid obesity and its associated health problems (see below)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever

qazwsxokmijn
15-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Think dogs react differently to 'poisonous' foods such as choclates. Theobromine is the culprit chemical in chocolates that dogs react to, some I'm guessing have little or no reaction to low quantities.

Still, I'm not taking my chances and have never fed my dog (a black Lab X) any appreciable amount of chocolate.

R2x1
17-01-2010, 08:30 AM
As far as I can recall the most poisonous food for dogs is cabbage and pumpkin for a German Sheppard.
At each burst of noxious fumes the dog sprang to her feet and tried desperately to put a bit of extra distance between the sniffing end and the venting end. Wife decreed the curtains should be burnt, shortly thereafter the carpet hit the bin and the lounge suite had a remarkably narrow escape. The dog became an outside only pet for 4 days until the eruptions eased off. As a security dog's diet it might be handy, a junkyard dog could easily keep 3 downwind properties prowler-free.

gary67
17-01-2010, 09:11 AM
We have a black lab X too with white paws, tail tip and chest, so she has a dash of Border Collie I expect.

They are called 'black' because labs come in 3 colours, black, golden, chocolate, just so you don't get confused, especially if you happen to be colour blind I ??? :confused: :

"Labrador Retrievers are registered in three colors: black (a solid black color), yellow (anything from light cream to "fox-red"), and chocolate (medium to dark brown)."

"Labradors have a well-known reputation for appetite, and some individuals may be highly indiscriminate, eating digestible and non-food objects alike. They are persuasive and persistent in requesting food. For this reason, the Labrador owner must carefully control his/her dog's food intake to avoid obesity and its associated health problems (see below)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labrador_Retriever

And then you can get curly coat labs as well friends near me had one when I was a kid in the UK, the Dad used to tell people who asked that they permed it every Friday :clap

Jen
17-01-2010, 09:13 AM
My Mum's cousin had a Labrador seeing-eye dog. It had to be sent back for remedial training after repeated self-service at the bulk food bins at the supermarket. :rolleyes:

Another time a neighbour had left a large pot of fatty water (used to cook pork) outside to cool down and the dog drank that. It had to be rushed to the vet for emergency treatment. As these dogs cost over $10,000 to train, you can't risk their health.

I should add, it was a black Lab too. :p

zqwerty
17-01-2010, 10:00 AM
'tried desperately to put a bit of extra distance between the sniffing end and the venting end'

lol, lol, lol, don't ever stop R2x1