PDA

View Full Version : Copying and Pasting - Instant Restart

CCF
13-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Hey there guys

Just wanna ask for some tips and pointers. Been having this problems for some years now, dont know if its a window XP bug/limitation or some config that I have missed.

The problem is that every time when I copy and paste huge sized folders, typically folders which can add up to 6-16GB, where in each folder there could be a couple of hundreds or thousands of files (eg Oracle Setups). My computer will instantly restart when Paste is clicked. "Copying" is no problem, is just when I "Paste". The moment I hit Paste, the computer will restart. Or this occurs when I share these massive folders, as each file's permission must be changed, the computer will randomly restart during this permission modification.

In the early years I thought it was my hard drive or motherboard, however after upgrading to a complete new system (some months ago, new hdd, mb, psu, ram), Im still suffering the same problem. This happens in WIN7 as well.

So what I want to know is that if any one else has experienced this sort of sudden restart when copying massive amount of files or folder that are massive in size.

My current setup is, XP Pro with SP3 (tried with Win7 before, same thing) with 2GB DDR2 Hynix (have tested with memtest when purchased, ran fine). Background apps, Avast, Zonalarm and typical ATi control panel. I have tried disabling Avast and Zonealarm during the transfer, same thing, instant restart. However pastes fine in Safe Mode.

I have formatted my computer many time over the years, all experience the same thing when dealing with massive folder

As for the pageFile size, it is only enable on my OS drive (2GB-4GB), but disabled on the physical drives that Im transferring files with.

The files that I've been copying to test this random restart are extracted Oracle 11g setup files, combined total of a rough 8GB, with thousands of individual files.

And yes I have tried to move them in the form of Zip and such, and yes it does work. No restart if I move them in Zip form, nor if I manually move the files manually in chuck sizes.

So yeah any suggestions? Am at I lost here :(

Thank you guys/girls in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Whats the hdd formatted in? FAT32 or NTFS?? (The one youre copying to)? So, it just restarts (there's no BSOD)?? I would look in event viewer. Whats that say (it'll show the date and time it happens)

CCF
13-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply. All hdds are in NTFS, sometimes there is BSOD, note I said "sometimes". In the case with these Oracle setup files, no BSOD, just a instantly restart... .

As for the Event viewer, I have checked it before, though nothing useful was mentioned for the sudden restart. I will do it again and post back the error message. Though if you dont mind I may not be able to post back the message until bit later on, reinstalling Oracle via VMware you see... >< each installation takes a rough 30-40mins :(

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2010, 09:48 AM
When the BSOD comes up again, tell us what it says (the stop error) and the file if it shows one

CCF
13-01-2010, 09:51 AM
As for the pageFile size, it is only enable on my OS drive (2GB-4GB), but disabled on the physical drives that Im transferring files with.

This may be a bit misleading, the 2GB-4GB is not the size of my OS drive, but the pageFile Size set on my OS drive. My OS drive is 45GB.

CCF
13-01-2010, 09:54 AM
When the BSOD comes up again, tell us what it says (the stop error) and the file if it shows one

Yep that'll be no problem, now I just need to find large enough folders that will cause BSOD during its pasting. Though from memory, the BSOD occurs more frequently when sharing these large folders.

Will keep you updated.

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2010, 10:05 AM
This may be a bit misleading, the 2GB-4GB is not the size of my OS drive, but the pageFile Size set on my OS drive. My OS drive is 45GB.

Is this 2-4 GB the system managed size or did you set it?? I would leave it on system managed if it isnt now

Coaster
13-01-2010, 10:08 AM
What happens with Drag and Drop, with the Ctrl key pressed?

Speedy Gonzales
13-01-2010, 10:15 AM
What have you installed thats installed a shell extension?? Its quite possible something in the shell extension in my computer is causing the crashes (it maybe screwed/faulty/corrupt)