PDA

View Full Version : Back-UP Clone Programme.

B.M.
13-01-2010, 06:49 AM
Can anybody recommend a HDD Clone tool that will run at a scheduled time?

I use SyncBack for a number of folders (My Documents – Photos – Music – Downloads etc) but have come to the conclusion that in the event of a complete HDD failure it would be a hell of a job reinstalling all the applications, even though I have the original disks.

Therefore, I’d like to be able to back-up my “C” drive to another HDD, say daily at 6pm. I’d imagine the programme would be able to differentiate as to what’s been changed from the previous back-up and not have to rewrite a whole 80gig.

I have an older version of Nortons Ghost, but if I remember rightly it couldn’t handle disk sizes above about 3 gig.

Anyway, as always, all input appreciated. :thanks

SolMiester
13-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Macruim Reflect

CCF
13-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Acronis True Image Home is pretty good. Although a $50+ USD price tag, I found it to be very reliable and solid, though cant comment on their new 2010 version. Been using their 2008 version for the past 2 years, recovered my OS and apps many time using it, found it to work beautifully and does what it say.

B.M.
13-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks guy's,

I've been Googling as well and wonder if anybody knows anything about this programme?

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

12steps
13-01-2010, 08:56 AM
You could try XXCLONE. Very handy bit of software (and free!)

www.xxclone.com

Coaster
13-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks guy's,

I've been Googling as well and wonder if anybody knows anything about this programme?

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Never tried that program, but runtime do make great software, I've used GetDataBack for years.

I use Acronis for backup and imaging.

bk T
13-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Acronis True Image Home is pretty good. Although a $50+ USD price tag, I found it to be very reliable and solid, though cant comment on their new 2010 version. Been using their 2008 version for the past 2 years, recovered my OS and apps many time using it, found it to work beautifully and does what it say.

Previous ver was good but I think it has problem with Win 7? The new 2010 ver works with Win 7 but somehow, I just can't get the scheduler to work according to my 'wish' - also, the restore procedures are not as 'clear' as the previous versions, quite confusing.

B.M.
13-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok, after due consideration I’ve gone with Macruim Reflect.

Thank you Solmiester. :thumbs:

It installed no problem and I see we have a file on the Back-Up “D” drive. I also have a 5K .XML file in a folder called “Reflect” in “My Documents” on “C” drive. What is this little file?

Also, if I was to replace my “C” drive (because it failed) what do I do to start the recovery?

Thought it might be handy to know. :D

SolMiester
13-01-2010, 03:00 PM
BM, you need to create an image of the C: drive to removeable storage like a USB external then create a recovery CD that you can boot from.

PPp
13-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Drive Image XML saved my butt, but is probably useful as an occasional backup to cover your setup, programs etc, rather than data. You need to have a windows PE disc with XML on it to restore the images to your hard drive, plus separate storage, ie USB drive. See tutorials on You-Tube.

Roger Hunt
13-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Test you recovery boot disc after you have made it with Macruim Reflect as mine refused to boot up.

B.M.
14-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys, all done, Boot CD made and it does boot and seems ready to go.

All that's requires is I find a spare HDD, format it and see how the restoration goes. :D

B.M.
15-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Ahhhh, first Hic-Up. :groan:

When I checked to see if it had done its first Scheduled Back-Up last night I find the following message. “Backup Aborted!- Time Out Waiting for Response.” And in the Logfile I find “No Spare Space on Destination”.

Ok, with the initial successful Back-Up we backed up 48Gig onto a 60gig Drive which after compaction turned up as 41gig. This then left 19Gig free on the Back-up Disk. However this 19Gig appears to be insufficient for a second Back-Up which raises the question does this programme make all the Back-Up’s accumulative or is 19 Gig insufficient for it to operate in?

I had hoped there was a Back-Up Programme that just amended the Back-Up file with any alterations that had been made during the day.

Anybody throw any light on what is going on here? :thanks

linw
15-01-2010, 08:43 AM
To get incremental imaging you need the paid for version. See here
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

B.M.
15-01-2010, 12:19 PM
To get incremental imaging you need the paid for version. See here
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

That explains that, thanks linw. :thanks

I guess I'll have to reappraise the situation. :)

McRuff
15-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I guess I'll have to reappraise the situation. :)

I would recommend either getting a bigger disk for your back ups or modify your backup strategy.

If you back up your data regularly you only need to do the occasional image backup of the C drive as programs are pretty easy to re install or update. I do a image about once a month unless I have installed something large like a service pack.

I have also kept the size of my C: Drive down to a reasonable size by putting my data/games/media on other partitions

I do recommend keeping at least 2 copies of your drive image as I have stuffed up before and over written my C drive image with a new image before realizing I had a issue which then required a Windows reinstall.