PDA

View Full Version : Use command line options on an application

Lizard
12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I have an application that I want to use the command line option /start, so that it will begin automatically after the program initialises. If I open the properties for the application's shortcut, I can add the command line option after the target, and then when I run the program from that shortcut, it begins automatically.

However, if the program is invoked via Autoplay, this shortcut isn't used. This is my problem - I want the application to begin automatically after initialised when invoked by the Autoplay feature. Is there a way to have the application use this command line option without going through the shortcut?

Sweep
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Change the autorun.inf to include the switches.

See here;_

http://autorun.moonvalley.com/autoruninf.htm

beama
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
or point the autorun at the shortcut

Lizard
12-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but my understanding is that autorun files are on the disc. What I'm trying to do is have a particular program (or, if necessary, the shortcut to the program) launch with the command line option /start whenever a certain type of disc (e.g. DVD) is inserted. I don't see anywhere in Autoplay where I can choose to launch a shortcut.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
If /start isnt a valid command, for the app / whatever, it wont work. Altho if autorun.inf has an exe in it, it should load. What exactly do you want the dvd to load? If its a movie, install a program so it can load it and make it the default program

Sweep
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
In the link I posted you can edit the autorun.inf file if you download the editor.

Lizard
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
What I'm trying to do is have DVD Decrypter load and run automatically when a DVD is inserted. I can set DVD Decrypter as the program to load every time a DVD is inserted through Autoplay, but it just invokes the program, not the shortcut, hence it won't run the command line option /start, which is a valid command - (it works if I run the shortcut).

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Check this out (http://forum.videohelp.com/topic279499.html). Did you create a batch file? Looks like you have to. WHERE are you putting /start? In the app shortcut or the command line app?

Lizard
12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm putting /start in the properties page of the shortcut to DVD Decrypter, at the end of the target line, which points to the actual .exe file. If I run that shortcut, then DVD Decrypter opens and begins decrypting automatically.

The problem is, I want that to happen when I insert the DVD, without having to click on the shortcut. I can create a batch file no problem, but I don't think there's anyway to have that batch file run every time I insert a DVD. But I'm happy to be corrected.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Did you read the link? I think you have to have more than /start

Lizard
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I read the link. Let me try explaining it again.

I have a shortcut to DVD Decrypter. If I edit the properties of that shortcut, and place /start at the end of the target (which is pointed at the actual application), then running that shortcut will open DVD Decrypter, and it starts decrypting automatically.

That's fine if I am happy to click the shortcut everytime I put in a DVD, but what I'm trying to do is use the Autoplay function of Windows, which lets you choose a program to run whenever a DVD is inserted, so that when I put a DVD in, DVD Decrypter runs and starts decrypting straight away.

I can choose DVD Decrypter as the default program for DVDs, but it just runs the application, not the shortcut, so it bypasses the /start modifier I added to the shortcut.

The problem is either modifying the application to always use the /start modifier (as opposed to specifying it in the shortcut), or getting Autoplay to point to a shortcut.

decibel
14-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Re-name the DVD Decrypter program to something like RealDVD-decrypt.exe

Then create a fake app called DVD decrypter with the start switch and point it to the renamed file.

You may have to write a VB script.