PDA

View Full Version : MS NZ toughening up????

Bryan
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
After installing W7 and removing Vista on my PC, I gave Vista to my grandson. After a time it needed to be activated which I knew would happen. Well.....

I contacted MS NZ today to get a new Product Key. Ended up transfered to Manilla where, to cut it short, I had to scan and email the old Vista Product Key and the front of the DVD, to prove I had it, so that they can TRY and obtain a new Product Key for me.

I thought it was a little easier than this to get a new key!

nedkelly
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Another reason I like Apple and Linux. No serial keys to install desktop Operating systems

SolMiester
12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
After installing W7 and removing Vista on my PC, I gave Vista to my grandson. After a time it needed to be activated which I knew would happen. Well.....

I contacted MS NZ today to get a new Product Key. Ended up transfered to Manilla where, to cut it short, I had to scan and email the old Vista Product Key and the front of the DVD, to prove I had it, so that they can TRY and obtain a new Product Key for me.

I thought it was a little easier than this to get a new key!

Not sure on getting new product keys, however if the product has been activated within 6 mths on a now decommissioned pc, when it fails, you just call and get the activation code via telephone!

CYaBro
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Not sure on getting new product keys, however if the product has been activated within 6 mths on a now decommissioned pc, when it fails, you just call and get the activation code via telephone!

Yea, how did you get Vista originally? Was it pre-installed on your computer when you bought or did you purchase it in a retail box?
If it came with your computer when you bought it then there will be a sticker on the case somewhere that will have the product key on it.
If you bought it seperately then the product key will be on the back of the plastic tray, that flips out of the box, that holds the disc.

Bryan
12-01-2010, 03:00 PM
It is a purchased copy and yes I know where the Product Key is but, when I try to use that key on Grandson's PC I get a "Product key is used by another computer (my old one).

Not enough time has elapsed to allow Microsoft to delete it from their servers therefore a new Product key is needed.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Could have clicked the phone option, and gone through the automated service (the 0800 number). And just followed what it said. Thats what I've done twice (within a mth), with the version of vista I've got (when I was going backwards and forwards, installing that and Win7). I didnt need a new key, just a new code to reactivate Vista (since it was less than the 3 mths or whatever it is. And because it said it was in use, when I went to activate it), before it drops off whatever server

xyz823
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Could have clicked the phone option, and gone through the automated service (the 0800 number). And just followed what it said. Thats what I've done twice (within a mth), with the version of vista ( I've got (when I was going backwards and forwards, installing that and Win7). I didnt need a new key, just a new code to reactivate Vista (since it was less than the 3 mths or whatever it is. And because it said it was in use, when I went to activate it), before it drops off whatever server

Yep I've done the same thing with Office. Online activation didn't work as it said it was already on 3 PCs even though it had been removed from 2. Activated it via phone and it was fine.

Bryan
12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I started out using the phone to the NZ 0800 number but it must have been too hard for the gentleman as he transfered me to their Manilla help desk.

Speedy Gonzales
12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Its automated. A human doesnt answer it. When I rang it twice it was an automated service. You type the 48 digit code (or something) it gives you in windows. It gives you the code to activate vista. Takes about 5 mins. Then its done

Coaster
13-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Did you buy the full version of Win7 or an upgrade?

pctek
13-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I started out using the phone to the NZ 0800 number but it must have been too hard for the gentleman as he transfered me to their Manilla help desk.

Most NZ 0800s are really in foreign countries.

Bryan
13-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Problem resolved, just thought it funny, that's all.

Matter is resolved. The man in Manilla had the server reset to accept the original Product Key in grandson's PC. All well and good and thanks all for the thoughts and comments.