PDA

View Full Version : Cases to courier external HDs

FAB
12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
HI all

Each two months I send off external hard drives around the country for our remote managers to back up their laptops. Yes they save their stuff locally.

There are four HDs and after each person has done their backup, they send it on to the next person on the list.

The system works well but the boxes the drives came in are getting a real battering.

Has anyone here purchased a strong box for sending stuff like this around the country?

I'm thinking aluminium, but open to suggestions.

Cheers

PinoyKiw
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
HI all
Each two months I send off external hard drives around the country for our remote managers to back up their laptops. Yes they save their stuff locally.
There are four HDs and after each person has done their backup, they send it on to the next person on the list.
The system works well but the boxes the drives came in are getting a real battering.
Has anyone here purchased a strong box for sending stuff like this around the country?
I'm thinking aluminium, but open to suggestions.

We use one of those toughened plastic containers, cannot think of of the name right now, Pelican?, for moving photographic gear in the plane cargo holds. Ok, not quite the same as external drives via courier but considering the way some cargo handling staff throw stuff about, we have not had any issue's. Photographic supply outlets would be a good starting point.

Unless you want to get a metal case custom made.

You could also get a custom made canvas bag with zip and lock made for the container(s) to go in with a clear address pocket on the front so each person in the chain just slots the next address label into the holder.

FAB
12-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks PK - great idea re photographic place. There's one not far away, will check it out.

I'm not keen on getting something custom if only for the cost - don't want to end up spending double what the drives cost.

Digby
12-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Good idea about backing up !
Hard drives are so cheap now, they are the best and easiest backup media imho

Nomad
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Pelican cases, you can cut sponge holes and put your HDDs there .... They do that with their thousands dollar lenses :D

http://www.pelican.com/oem/customize/protection_systems/custom_foam.php

FAB
12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I found some (now off-stock) Imation 1TB drives with an actual hardware backup button with customisable settings, so just made up a simple batch file so that when the user pushes the button, it cranks up Cobian and just does a simple copy of their profile to the external disk. Basic but it works.

Nomad
12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Pelican cannot be crushed over by a Hummer :D
You can throw them down a river bank .. the egg may crack but camera gear is still ok :p

FAB
12-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Those Pelicans are perfect, thanks guys.
Price on the high side for us at $115 each but will see what the people who sign the cheques say.

Thanks again

gary67
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
We use the Pelican type boxes to take camera's caving as we need to keep them dry and safe from breakage