PDA

View Full Version : Why Motorcyclists Should pay higher ACC.

Trev
12-01-2010, 06:48 AM
While on holiday on a 2 lane road with streams of traffic going both ways this guy on a Harley passes everyone riding on the white line in the middle of the road. Temporary NZs I call them. Traffic was doing 90 to 100 kph.
:)

Sam I Am
12-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Nothing wrong with it. Perfectly safe if done properly and legal to boot if you are not speeding.

Gobe1
12-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Good luck to them, but running at 90 - 100....I hate that

Metla
12-01-2010, 08:14 AM
How did you know he was on holiday?

johcar
12-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Maybe the Harley rider was also wearing jandals and a tshirt, with a surf board tied to the seat???

Trev
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
How did you know he was on holiday?
I don't, which I didn't say he/she was, but was most probibly.

CYaBro
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
I also saw some motorcyclists do some stupid things over the xmas break.
When they ride in groups they seem to think that they have to stick together.
So if the one at front passes a car legally and then the traffic comes to a corner, with double yellow lines, the other bikers just pass anyway. Can't wait until the next legal place to pass!
Just pure luck that there was no traffic coming around the corner in the opposite direction.

Sam I Am
12-01-2010, 08:44 AM

Read your first sentence :thanks

John H
12-01-2010, 09:06 AM

On this occasion, Metla and his sycophant are both correct. Your sentence means that the motorcyclist was on holiday, not you, whatever meaning you intended. :)

Trev
12-01-2010, 09:11 AM
On this occasion, Metla and his sycophant are both correct. Your sentence means that the motorcyclist was on holiday, not you, whatever meaning you intended. :)
More Roddy_Boys eh.

Metla
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
So if the one at front passes a car legally and then the traffic comes to a corner, with double yellow lines, the other bikers just pass anyway. Can't wait until the next legal place to pass!
Just pure luck that there was no traffic coming around the corner in the opposite direction.

Ignore the form of transport, its the behavior that needs to be addressed, They (the persons) should be taken off the road, and not allowed back on until they can demonstrate more intelligence and regard for others. Or just not allowed back on the road at all, The reason people get killed on the road is because it takes next to no effort to get on the road, and no matter how dangerous you are on the road you still get to do just as you please, You can kill numerous people and still have the right to be on our roads....

For some reason it seems the average intelligence plummets with each additional bike added to a group.

PinoyKiw
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM

Had that happen in the Buller Gorge late one afternoon last year, was about 8 or 10 of them, if anyone knows the Buller Gorge Road, it is narrow and winding, the first one screamed past me using all of the road on the curves and the rest just followed suit through the left hand bend I was entering.

Five minutes later, I pass all of them parked on the side of the road admiring the view.......

Five minutes later and they all scream past me again. Luck must have been smiling on them as none of them came back the other way inbedded in a truck grill.

And with no cellphone coverage in the area, could have been a long wait for help to be alerted and arrive.

John H
12-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Was that the occasion when the cop car did a u turn and took out two of them?

PinoyKiw
12-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Was that the occasion when the cop car did a u turn and took out two of them?

No, that was a different incident.

PinoyKiw
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Ignore the form of transport, its the behavior that needs to be addressed, They (the persons) should be taken off the road, and not allowed back on until they can demonstrate more intelligence and regard for others.

Personally, I couldn't agree more. Motorbike riders have there share of critic's and of course, in the case of a accident, they can come off much worse costing the rest of us a lot of money via ACC etc.

But then you have the morons with there big bore exhausts and loud stereo's doing donuts and wheel spinning over new seal and racing each other through traffic and they are so thick skinned they cannot see what harm or annoyance they are.

Lets not forget the scooter riders who scream up your left hand side just as you are making a left hand turn though the one that did that to me last year came off very much second best as i was turning with a trailer on a left hand arrow when he was intending to go straight. He walked away from that but got stuck into me until the police arrived and *calmed* him down.

Or the greenie cyclists that weave between cars, get abusive at other drivers, run red lights and generally think they also own the road.

Over all, it is a small portion of each group on the road that give's every other road user in that group a bad name.

Some of them shouldn't even be in charge of a pram let alone a bike or a car or a truck. Doesn't help that NZ has some rather weak enforcement of those caught being stupid compared to other locations.

johcar
12-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Personally, I couldn't agree more. Motorbike riders have there share of critic's and of course, in the case of a accident, they can come off much worse costing the rest of us a lot of money via ACC etc.

But then you have the morons with there big bore exhausts and loud stereo's doing donuts and wheel spinning over new seal and racing each other through traffic and they are so thick skinned they cannot see what harm or annoyance they are.

Lets not forget the scooter riders who scream up your left hand side just as you are making a left hand turn though the one that did that to me last year came off very much second best as i was turning with a trailer on a left hand arrow when he was intending to go straight. He walked away from that but got stuck into me until the police arrived and *calmed* him down.

Or the greenie cyclists that weave between cars, get abusive at other drivers, run red lights and generally think they also own the road.

Over all, it is a small portion of each group on the road that give's every other road user in that group a bad name.

Some of them shouldn't even be in charge of a pram let alone a bike or a car or a truck. Doesn't help that NZ has some rather weak enforcement of those caught being stupid compared to other locations.

x2

ubergeek85
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
While on holiday on a 2 lane road with streams of traffic going both ways this guy on a Harley passes everyone riding on the white line in the middle of the road. Temporary NZs I call them. Traffic was doing 90 to 100 kph.

Yeah, because if one person does it, they all must do it.

Sam I Am
12-01-2010, 03:23 PM

And my Father said I would never get anywhere in life.

johcar
12-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Hey! I may be fat, but I'm not a sicko (although I guess that's a relative term....)

John H
12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, Metla has two people claiming to be his sycophants. I was referring to the one that claims to be the Metla fan club. But if the shoe fits...

prefect
12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Wow, Metla has two people claiming to be his sycophants. I was referring to the one that claims to be the Metla fan club. But if the shoe fits...

Whattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

beama
12-01-2010, 06:12 PM

and there are no stupid things done by car drivers, they are all all angels you drink tui 's dont you

beama
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM

and there are no stupid things done by car drivers, they are all all angels you drink tui 's dont you heres a web site for you vent your feelings about acc and motorcyclists http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forum.php

prefect
12-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Darwins law of natural selection will eventually delete motorcyclists who continually do idiotic passing manoeuvres.

Sam I Am
12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
and there are no stupid things done by car drivers, they are all all angels you drink tui 's dont you heres a web site for you vent your feelings about acc and motorcyclists http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forum.php

Double dare him...

ad_267
12-01-2010, 09:16 PM
I say all the rugby players should pay higher ACC, I'm sure they cost a lot too.

johcar
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I say all the rugby players should pay higher ACC, I'm sure they cost a lot too.

x2

A hell of a lot more than motorcyclists and cyclists put together!!

angry
13-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Ignore the form of transport, its the behavior that needs to be addressed, They (the persons) should be taken off the road, and not allowed back on until they can demonstrate more intelligence and regard for others. Or just not allowed back on the road at all, The reason people get killed on the road is because it takes next to no effort to get on the road, and no matter how dangerous you are on the road you still get to do just as you please, You can kill numerous people and still have the right to be on our roads....

For some reason it seems the average intelligence plummets with each additional bike added to a group.

all correct.

With groups of cyclist though the average intellegence seems to plummet 4 times as fast as groups of motorcyclists.

all cyclist over 15 should have licences class 7 perhaps, to be treated like all the other licence clasess, in all respects.

All cycles used by over 15 year old's should be registered so they can pay their long overdue share of acc, and ALSO fitness inspected.

This would keep a few of them alive a little longer. also would make them more controlable/accountable.

last cyclist that ended up under my truck here didnt have any functioning brakes, but he did live, just no front teeth now.

In the last 5 years the behaviour of cyclist on our urban roads has become ABOMNIABLE and SUICIDAL.

beama
13-01-2010, 05:11 AM
come over to the dark side
ACC Public Equality Group (http://apeg.webs.com/)

angry
13-01-2010, 11:11 PM
come over to the dark side
ACC Public Equality Group (http://apeg.webs.com/)

sorry, scrap acc today, all the hairy legged helens only go there to eat their lunch, collect exorbitant salaries, and cook up reasons to deny entitlments, to single white men with no dependants.

in 99 ther was an ability to walk from acc, most employers and contractors took the oppourtunity so fast ,that the pyramid nearly fell over.

The hairy legged one bought the election, and IMMEDIATLY sought to protect all of her hairy legged girl friend's overpaid positions, by removing the ability to use a different primary provider of work place cover.

The hairy legged, have been unnacountably gliding on ever since.

Paul.Cov
14-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Darwins law of natural selection will eventually delete motorcyclists who continually do idiotic passing manoeuvres.

Given he was on a Harley, he was probably associated with a gang.

Yeah, I'm kinda alright with the loopy motorcyclists, coz it ends up being the roads that get rid of our gang members instead of the prisons and justice system having to do it at great expense. The whole of NZ wins when a gang member wipes out on the raod.

Same when the gangs are in combat with each other - let them do it! Let them whittle down their own numbers battling each other, and spare the cops the bother and the danger. The only Police oversight that should happen during gang battles is a cop sniper making sure nobody from the group walks away afterwards... gang control for just a few bucks!

johcar
14-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Not these days Paul. If he was riding a Harley he is probably a white male, aged between 40 and 55 in a high income bracket.

Metla
14-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Given he was on a Harley, he was probably associated with a gang.

Yeah, I'm kinda alright with the loopy motorcyclists, coz it ends up being the roads that get rid of our gang members instead of the prisons and justice system having to do it at great expense. The whole of NZ wins when a gang member wipes out on the raod.

Are you retarded, taking the piss or really that ignorant?

There are only a handful of gang members in NZ that ride bikes, There are thousands of Harleys on the road, They are the biggest selling large capacity bike in NZ, and due to their expense the majority of people that buy them are older professionals, the second largest group of purchasers are just your regular blue collared motorcycle riding Harley enthusist, gangs don't even rate a mention.

Your comments are as stupid as claiming gang members drive Holdens, So someone dieing in a Holden is an excellent move for gang control.

johcar
14-01-2010, 09:10 AM
That said, there are gang members who ride Harleys.

The Harleys are either outright stolen, made up from parts from stolen bikes or purchased using the profits from selling P to schoolkids.

Metla
14-01-2010, 09:15 AM
No one I have ever known who rides as part of a bike club touches stolen parts or bikes, On the contrary the bike thief is the lowest of the low.

That maybe considered hypercritical based on perceptions as to what else they accept but thievery has immediate consequences and a long term stigma.

johcar
14-01-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm not talking about proper clubs (such a Ulysses), I'm talking about the patch wearers who like to think that laws don't apply to them.

Cato
14-01-2010, 09:40 AM
That said, there are gang members who ride Harleys.

The Harleys are either outright stolen, made up from parts from stolen bikes or purchased using the profits from selling P to schoolkids.

The same can be said for just about everything.

Paul.Cov
14-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Well, the bikers that I see flouting the laws and endangering themselves and the wider public are typically big rough looking buggers with a patch on their backs.

And they don't choose Suzuki or Kawasaki for their ride.
And their Harley is likely to be obtained either directly or indirectly via crime... or at least, that's what the media and the police like us to believe.

As for me - I can't even keep control of a 50cc scooter! Darn thing produced more bounce than a trampoline.

Cato
14-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm not talking about proper clubs (such a Ulysses), I'm talking about the patch wearers who like to think that laws don't apply to them.

ACC is a no fault system, no matter what you do you are always covered, so it doesn't really matter.

Metla
14-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Funny enough I was also referring to patched motorcycle clubs, otherwise known as gangs.

In many such circles thieving is not condoned, and is dealt with, Its considered to be unworthy. And labeling someone as a bike thief will start some major ****.

beama
14-01-2010, 09:33 PM
ACC is a no fault system, no matter what you do you are always covered, so it doesn't really matter.

not any more, that's why motorcyclists are paying more oh and now the ski field operators as well, then there's abuse victims rights under acc. I think we/motorcyclists hit the nail on the head with the phase "whos next"

Its funny that an organization can be said to be in debt but still have billions in investment accountants. Oh and the reason they are in debt is because the changed their accounting system from a model that spreads the cost of rehabilitation over the period of time it takes recover to one that lumps all that cost into one finical year.

Motorcyclist are the thin edge of the wedge at the widest part of that wedge you'll find privatisation

I say go back to the Woodhouse principals

Strommer
15-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Are you retarded, taking the piss or really that ignorant?

There are only a handful of gang members in NZ that ride bikes, There are thousands of Harleys on the road, They are the biggest selling large capacity bike in NZ, and due to their expense the majority of people that buy them are older professionals, the second largest group of purchasers are just your regular blue collared motorcycle riding Harley enthusist, gangs don't even rate a mention.

Your comments are as stupid as claiming gang members drive Holdens, So someone dieing in a Holden is an excellent move for gang control.

As usual, Metla has it correct.

Paul.Cov uses this form of faulty logic:
All gang members are criminals.
Gang members ride Harleys.
Therefore all Harley riders are gang members and criminals.

Actually I can understand how Paul arrives at such conclusions since the news media often distort events to put motorcyclists in a negative image. An example of this was the Bikoi (ACC protest ride of 5,000+ motorcyclists to Parliament) where the TV news singled out the roughest looking bikers. They even showed a tough looking biker on a Harley giving the finger while riding on the motorway (the cameraman was in a helicopter)... although I thought it was super cool to have a hovering helicopter filming us I can understand a rider being annoyed by the distraction while he was trying to avoid a crash with all the bikes around him. My experience - and that of my Ulysses Club friends - was a totally positive experience. Sure, there were a *few* tough looking characters but their behaviour was the same as everyone else: civil and friendly. At least the news media did report that there were no accidents or incidents with the police.

All of us are prejudiced in some way, at some times. Personally I thought motorcycle gang members did in fact steal bikes. The police may disagree with Metla, I don't know, but for now I will accept what our esteemed wAnganui PF1er says.

Trev
15-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Is that image really you Steve L ? It looks similar to George Martin.

Sweep
15-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Perhaps Metla just means you don't ( as part of a gang ) steal off other members of the same gang. All others are fair game though.

There's honour among theives.

Metla
15-01-2010, 09:02 AM
No, I said what I meant, Like it or not many of these people have no interest or need in stealing other peoples gear. Stealing gives very little gain for a lot of trouble, They aren't (all) that stupid.

Though I guess it depends if they look to get their support from the local bikers or the local criminal element. Bike riders won't tolerate bike thieves anymore then horse people would tolerate horse thieves.

And I'm certainly not applying it across the board, My reference was to the people I knew back in the day, and other groups that were nominated as bike thieves were shunned, Though who knows what propaganda was being spread.

That said, Their is no honour among thieves, That's an ignorant myth. Go hang out with some for a week and get the real story.

And it was many years ago, Before P, and faces and people have changed.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Is that image really you Steve L ? It looks similar to George Martin.

see my sig

Trev
15-01-2010, 12:43 PM
see my sig
Good old Clint. Still looks abit like George Martin though.