PDA

View Full Version : 3G built into laptops

GordonBennet
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi folks

I'm puzzled when I see laptops advertised as having 3G built in. Does this mean they'd work with Vodafone or Telecom without needing any other hardware? I always thought the hardware was linked to the plan, so how would it work?

It would be nice, for instance, not to have to surrender a USB port for the XT mobile modem. But I'm suspicious that this might be a "feature" that's actually useless in NZ.

Nomad
11-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah they have a mobile data unit inside the netbook. Go to the Voda website and they have a white color Dell machine like that ..... I think you should be able to install a simcad in it .. and you can do internet and email via the cellphone towers..........

Yes, you do need a plan. The netbook is just the hardware. You can either sign up for a plan or go prepay casual .....

Depends on the data unit, it can be Telecom or Vodafone.....

Nomad
11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/3620

https://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/internet/3g-mobile-broadband.jsp#container3

Netbook is a new class of laptop that's smaller and designed for more portability and Internet use. 3G mobile broadband hardware and software are built into the Netbook.

Std laptops too.
Laptop with built-in 3G mobile broadband. In most leading laptop brands. Using data connectivity built into the latest laptops.

I think it is not that bad, for some who are low usage, they may get mobile BB instead of home BB and yo can use it anywhere you like, on travels around the country as well. NZ std BB is $$ therefore mobile BB would too. I would think that if price is reasonable for the casual user many more may prefer it. These days many would be v happy with a $700 laptop, does MS Office, plays the odd card game or chess and does internet and webmail. Can view DVD and JPEGs after the picture is taken... and then email off to friends / family..

FAB
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I feel that mobile data costs are way too high here - okay we shouldn't compare to overseas, but it's so hard not to.
We are looking at a 4gig plan with Telecom on netbooks with built-in 3G, but it's like $80 per month...or $10 less on a 2-year contract.
In my books, ouch.

angry
13-01-2010, 12:47 AM
I feel that mobile data costs are way too high here - okay we shouldn't compare to overseas, but it's so hard not to.
We are looking at a 4gig plan with Telecom on netbooks with built-in 3G, but it's like $80 per month...or $10 less on a 2-year contract.
In my books, ouch.

the vodaphone 3 6 deal is better than the TeleCon deal but still ouch, I use it because it goes where i do im not a big downlaoder so it ok.

Telecon charges are just off the planet.

all mobile service charges back here are legalised extortion.

will be. untill the commerce commission gets serious with telecon.

FAB
13-01-2010, 08:00 AM
the vodaphone 3 6 deal is better than the TeleCon deal but still ouch, I use it because it goes where i do im not a big downlaoder so it ok.

Telecon charges are just off the planet.

all mobile service charges back here are legalised extortion.

will be. untill the commerce commission gets serious with telecon.

I'd love to battle Telecom against Voda but we are bound (by a sponsorship agreement) to the big T so whatever plan they have, we run with. Bummer.

PinoyKiw
13-01-2010, 08:10 AM
In my books, ouch.

Compare Vodafone and Telecom with Telstra Australia, I have no choice but to use Telstra/BiogPond (in Australia) as they are the only provider with any signal in many parts of the country where I am. 400mb/month is 49AUD and 25c per mb over while there is a 1GB plan for 59 and drop back to dial up speed for exceeding the cap.

Vodafone by comparsion off memory was a fraction of that with 1 and 5GB plans but no coverage where I need it.

Nomad
13-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Compare Vodafone and Telecom with Telstra Australia, I have no choice but to use Telstra/BiogPond (in Australia) as they are the only provider with any signal in many parts of the country where I am. 400mb/month is 49AUD and 25c per mb over while there is a 1GB plan for 59 and drop back to dial up speed for exceeding the cap.

Vodafone by comparsion off memory was a fraction of that with 1 and 5GB plans but no coverage where I need it.

NZ they don't have drop back to dialup speeds right? They just bill you mega loads ...

angry
13-01-2010, 10:27 PM
NZ they don't have drop back to dialup speeds right? They just bill you mega loads ...

YEP, Their position is that it is the users task to observ their caps.

but they do have a free sms alert system, and a cap nagger on board you can self set.

They of couse have no interest in service or customer good will, which is why yet there are no dial up speed follow on deals here.

:annoyed:

Roger Hunt
13-01-2010, 10:47 PM
I use Vodafone 3g broadband with a merlin express card (XU870) and I pay $79. month for 3 gigs and for another $10 gets my cap again if I want to use more. Speed is not as good as cable.
If you can except that it is ok, not good just ok.
Their help desk is not bad if you call during work hours but useless after hours though.

Nomad
13-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Voda has have a $10 deal, Telecom doesn't they calculate per MB from the word go :p

At the mo, I am with 3GB cap on my adsl, provided you you are not into video much and have self control they are not bad. I don't need internet when I am away home. Email 2x a week is all I need. :D But for those out there, they are not too bad and it's pretty much covered - cellular reception = internet coverage instead of internet cafe prices. If no 3G it would drop to 2G wouldn't it ...

angry
13-01-2010, 11:54 PM
If no 3G it would drop to 2G wouldn't it ...

yep.
+
Telecon have released another scam deal lately that is a little better than their per MB rought.

Every one should have learnt by now that they can't be trusted as far as they can be thrown.:)