PDA

View Full Version : Police: Teach tourists road rules

Trev
11-01-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10619467
What do you think. I don't know how practical this is but I think they should sit some form of basic test before they can drive in NZ. The rental companies should at least give them a NZ Roadcode.
:)

johcar
11-01-2010, 09:33 AM
There are a hell of a lot more local drivers (imports and born-here locals) who should be focussed on first.

Money much better spent.

Most tourists are a bit nervous about driving in a foreign country and are usually tentative drivers anyway, but locals, holding "Weetbix packet" licences cause far more deaths than tourists ever will.

PinoyKiw
11-01-2010, 09:52 AM
I beleive but it may have changed that the major rental car companies do supply a copy of the road code to international drivers in addition to giving them a run down on some of the local laws that may be different from where they come from, eg: in NZ, left gives way to right.

But 5 or 10 minutes of instruction doesn't do a lot especially if English is not there first language.

Though the standards of some of our own drivers leave a lot wanting as well.

But what the Highway Patrol see on the open road must be only the tip of the iceberg. Have personally seen campervans well in excess of the speed limit many times, passing on the approach to bends, ignoring rules for entry to one way bridges, on the west coast when they still had that road rail bridge south of Greymouth, a campervan overtook waiting traffic to meet the train midway and then refused to back up though they eventally did, other campervans that do half the speed limit while they admire the view around the Kaikoura coast and so on.

Of course, lets not tar every tourist with the same brush, just as many do have some clue's as to good driving.

prefect
11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
If they screw up and hurt people they shouldn't be allowed to leave the country until they have done some jail time. Just like in their countries if we have an accident.

johcar
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, driving offenses, even really serious ones involving injury or death, don't seem to attract a lot of jail time in NZ.

prefect
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Too true but overseas we get incarcerated so if you are from say Indonesia you get locked up like they lock up us until we bribe our way out.

tweak'e
11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
they need to be given at least the basic rules.
we get a lot of campers that will not drive over the white lines on a turning bay and end up stopped in the middle of the road at a 45 degree.
i know of one tourist who got something like $30,000 worth of fines and simply left the country. it will never be paid.
they buy cheap cars, no WOF, no rego, don't give a toss about any rules, go anywhere and sh*t on anything they like. then they go home scott free.

end of the day, simply lack of traffic enforcement and lack of real penalties is the real problem. go kill a person and its "just an accident".

of course tourism is big business so they just turn a blind eye.

PinoyKiw
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
they need to be given at least the basic rules.
we get a lot of campers that will not drive over the white lines on a turning bay and end up stopped in the middle of the road at a 45 degree.
i know of one tourist who got something like $30,000 worth of fines and simply left the country. it will never be paid.
they buy cheap cars, no WOF, no rego, don't give a toss about any rules, go anywhere and sh*t on anything they like. then they go home scott free.

end of the day, simply lack of traffic enforcement and lack of real penalties is the real problem. go kill a person and its "just an accident".

of course tourism is big business so they just turn a blind eye.

There is the odd case of where a tourist driver has ended up in court and they have had to pay up straight away or risk not leaving the country till they paid. Few and far between though.

In the case of rental cars and campervans, isn't there a clause in the rental agreements where they can retain a copy of your credit card so any charges relating to tickets etc to that rego number/car can be passed on/collected from your credit card.

More and more though are going the back packer route and buying cheap cars and skipping through afterwards. No chance of recovering off them unless they return to NZ.

Cicero
11-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Too true but overseas we get incarcerated so if you are from say Indonesia you get locked up like they lock up us until we bribe our way out.

My mate in Thailand says he is very careful as he doesn't fancy living on concrete floors and eating fish heads for breakfast..

tweak'e
11-01-2010, 07:03 PM
mind you i should add......locals don't drive any better in the first place. the tourists might end up knowing the rules better than most kiwis ! LOL

johcar
11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
mind you i should add......locals don't drive any better in the first place. the tourists might end up knowing the rules better than most kiwis ! LOL

See post # 2 above. :)

tweak'e
11-01-2010, 07:27 PM
See post # 2 above. :)

thats what i get for skimming.
totally agree with ya on that !

Roscoe
11-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Can't understand what the fuss is all about. Driving on the opposite side of the road is not all that difficult. You can usually tell which side of the road to drive on by the position of the steering wheel.

I don't believe that these people drive on the right side of the road in NZ just because they did so at home. Moving to the other side is easy. What is more difficult - in my experience - is remembering which way to look for oncoming traffic at an intersection. A NZ driver looks to the right - by habit - and I can only assume that a European driver would look to the left by habit. I would suggest that that is more of a problem - and some of our different rules.

R2x1
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
All road users should have to be examined regularly and undergo a practical test. Especially cyclists.

Thomas01
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
All road users should have to be examined regularly and undergo a practical test. Especially cyclists.

Sometimes what seems logical is really only nonsense when looked at in its practical sense.
The poms did a survey recently to check on cyclists wearing helmets.
The survey showed more lives etc would be saved by making car and bus passengers wear helmets and even pedestrians than would be saved by making cyclist wear them.
Do you really think we should make pedestrians wear helmets?

I think its time we let cyclists off the hook here.
Mind you, I would not venture out myself without wearing a helmet - on the bike I mean.
Tom

prefect
12-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I like most farm boys was self taught starting with tractors and learning on paddock cars.
Got my licence on my 15th birthday.
I went through a give it death stage the neighbors down the Mot valley would dob me to Dad who would confiscate my keys.
Driving instructors are for rich peoples kids.

mikebartnz
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
If they screw up and hurt people they shouldn't be allowed to leave the country until they have done some jail time. Just like in their countries if we have an accident.
That's just great so we get the pleasure as tax payers of paying for their forced holiday at around $80,000 a year.:rolleyes:

angry
13-01-2010, 04:45 AM

Now that is intelligent.

:thumbs: