PDA

View Full Version : Sims 2 Disk Cracked

Newteach
10-01-2010, 08:03 PM
My kids have the Sims 2 disk but it now has small cracks radiating out from the center spindle. I want to copy it and keep the original disk for 'just in case'. I have a feeling you cannot do a straight copy on standard copy software, would I be right ? How do I go about backing up an actual disk I own.

NT.:angry

wainuitech
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
If there are small cracks then sooner or later ( prob Sooner) it will explode in the drive. Depending on how big they are,depends on when it will go bang.

One way is to copy the CD to another normally, BUT you have to find the slowest speed Optical drive you can, and copy at the slowest speed, higher the speed, the more likely it will blow.

Once copied - dont use it, as when it fails it can take out the drive as well.

8ftmetalhaed
10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
The likely result is that the disc will let you copy it, but will not let you run the game with the burnt disc.
As above, do it with the lowest speed you can. (Try this program here...http://www.cdspeed2000.com/)

The easiest way to do it would be copy the contents of the CD to your computer, then you can burn it as you see fit.
If the game will not then run with the burnt disc, there are programs that allow you to run the game without the CD. I'm not going to link you to any, since it might be against the forums TOS/rules, but google is your friend, and you DID buy a copy of the game so you're not exactly pirating the bloody thing.

xyz823
10-01-2010, 08:20 PM
You could try making an image of the disc using imgburn (ISO) and then mount it with a program such as virtual clone drive when you want to use it. (Both programs are in my signature)

pctek
11-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I would install the game. Overwrite the main exe with a no-cd. Zip the entire game folder and copy that zip onto DVD (or DVDs).
It will unzip and work just fine next time you need to install it.

Agent_24
11-01-2010, 01:23 PM
According to GameCopyWorld the Sims 2 has SafeDisc v3 protection. That's most likely to be right but you can use programs like (Mod Note: Link removed - Use ClonyXXL) to check and confirm.

They say a working copy is possible with Alcohol 120% and a good burner.

Personally that's what I'd use.

But remember, like Wainuitech said, copy it at a slow speed (Alcohol 120% has speed options) to avoid the disc shattering in your drive

Bryan
11-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Why not return it to the retailer and get a replacement?

CYaBro
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Why not return it to the retailer and get a replacement?

They will just say "Buy another copy."

wainuitech
11-01-2010, 02:48 PM
They will just say "Buy another copy."
Or say its general wear and tear - so yeah they will want you to part with your $$

fred_fish
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Aha! But according to most EULA's (I don't know about the Sims tho') you are not buying the 'thing' in your hand, you are paying a licence fee to use the software, a defective or worn out method of delivery for said software should be up to the provider to remedy. :P

Chilling_Silence
11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
+1 for Agent_24s thoughts, he's right on the money!!

Agent_24
11-01-2010, 05:22 PM
The other alternative is to download an ISO image etc of the same disc from bittorrent etc and use that as your backup.

So long as you already have the bought copy and a real serial key I wouldn't call it illegal.