PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from Win 7 RC to Win 7 final

Chikara
10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi all

I'm currently running the Win 7 RC (64bit version). Starting to think about upgrading to the final version now, before the nags and timeouts start in a few months time.
I think I will get the Home Premium (still 64bit), as I don't really need the extra features of Pro or Ultimate.

Questions:
- I know I can't just upgrade, I need to do a clean install. That's fine. Apart from having all my data backed up, are there any other hints/tips I should be aware of? Does the 'Windows Easy Transfer' do a good job - anyone used it?
I don't mind having to download drivers or whatever again, my internet connection is pretty good and has unlimited data :)

- Is the 64bit version sold as a different package? If I just buy 'Home Premium', will it let me choose to install 32 or 64 bit?

- My OS is on C drive and all my data is on a separate physical drive E (which is backed up separately, too). I changed the default location for user data, documents, etc to E drive. Will that cause any problems? EG when I have the new installation complete, can I 'point' the default location back to the old folders that remain on E drive again? Or will it try and overwrite them?

Thanks!

gary67
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM
You need to buy 64bit Home pre as both are not on the disc and definitely do a clean install of everything then just load your data in afterwards

PENTIUM
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
If you buy Upgrade windows 7 Home Premium you get both DVD's. This version also will allow you to do a clean install. You can do a clean install to a hard-drive that has stuff on it. The install will put this material in a folder called windows old.

PENTIUM
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
It might be different in Singapore, but this is the situation in New Zealand.