PDA

View Full Version : Increase in spam and slow PressF1

Nomad
10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Hey, after the news year I think, getting lots more spam. I have mailwasher. I used to get a few per day, the ISP's spam filter blocks most but it is the account that I use for internet stuff, the personal email account don't get any.

Like, 25 a day, not checked email for a few days and I get 100 into my system not incl the ones in my spam filter. The spam filter has been emptied just a day or two ago.

Also, I found PressF1 really slow, after NYR, maybe least half the pages just don't load. The indicator get to 90% then it stops. Anyone is similar boat?

And something weird with my router, I know my ADSL modem works but the wifi func does not, it quits and resume couple times a day. I couldn't get the net going yesterday only to find (XP - under network and you see the gateway icon above your wireless and wired connections) it says disabled. I didn't disabled I think .... :xmouth: and this morning again no net, and it was again disabled.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 12:14 PM
PressF1 has been slow inc today. It does load, but takes its sweet time about it! Sounds like your ethernet or maybe the driver is playing up

Nomad
10-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Ah .. nah not drivers. Its the ADSL router and I am connecting via RJ45.
Had enough of wireless.

Never happened before.

While it was disabled. It has no problems going into the router setup by typing the IP address......

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Have you updated the firmware for the router? Whats the brand/model of the router?

PinoyKiw
10-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Over the Xmas and New Year my spam rate tripled, from a several per hour to several every few minutes, all promoting the same usal crap,fake watches and a flood of the usual money scams and FBI warnings that I am being monitored for dealings with the bank of nigeria being the main.

Though Mailwasher screens it all so I don't care how much spam they send, none of it gets through.

Last couple of days though it has gone the other way, almost no spam at all though last night and again this morning there has been a mini flood of german language spam.

Also today a flood of virus link emails claiming to be from my ISP urging me to follow a link to upgrade my email client because of upgrades to there mail server.

As for Press F1, has been loading ok here, no problems.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Router is up to date I think. Well I think it is updated. Done it before. I tried to get new one recently and install via the setup (typing in the IP#), it won't install.

It's a crap Linksys WAG54G Version 2.0.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Over the Xmas and New Year my spam rate tripled, from a several per hour to several every few minutes, all promoting the same usal crap,fake watches and a flood of the usual money scams and FBI warnings that I am being monitored for dealings with the bank of nigeria being the main.

Though Mailwasher screens it all so I don't care how much spam they send, none of it gets through.

Last couple of days though it has gone the other way, almost no spam at all though last night and again this morning there has been a mini flood of german language spam.

Also today a flood of virus link emails claiming to be from my ISP urging me to follow a link to upgrade my email client because of upgrades to there mail server.

As for Press F1, has been loading ok here, no problems.

You have the business matters, I have the naughty ones :rolleyes:
Thing is trying to blacklist with mailwasher but appears they are all from unique addresses .....

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
What? So you logged into the router and then went to firmware upgrade, and then tried to load it, it didnt work?

Nomad
10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
What? So you logged into the router and then went to firmware upgrade, and then tried to load it, it didnt work?

Yep. Didn't work. A red sign came up.
I think I did update the firmware a yr or more ago if not mistaken, maybe that is why ...

wainuitech
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
PF1 slowed down badly, sometimes its Ok others its slow as a wet week, or wont load at all, doesn't matter what browser, really intermittent. Other sites load fine or as expected.

Where you mention the wireless disabled in XP , thats on the PC, nothing to do with the router - I have seen that a few times on customers PC's - the fix was to remove the wireless drivers completely as well as delete from device manager, reboot and let it reinstall again.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
PF1 slowed down badly, sometimes its Ok others its slow as a wet week, or wont load at all, doesn't matter what browser, really intermittent. Other sites load fine or as expected.

Where you mention the wireless disabled in XP , thats on the PC, nothing to do with the router - I have seen that a few times on customers PC's - the fix was to remove the wireless drivers completely as well as delete from device manager, reboot and let it reinstall again.

Not the wireless. The gateway is physically connected to the PC. The wireless card is disabled I don't use it.

I just found that when the PC starts, the gateway icon under networks, is disabled, I have to right click and hit enable.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I was saying that this modem I had, adsl works, wireless is crap so now I don't use wireless its hard wired.... so having issues why this gateway icon says disabled each time I start up the PC.......

wainuitech
10-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Have you tried another router to make sure it is actually the router, and not the Ethernet connection just saying its disconnected.
While it was disabled. It has no problems going into the router setup by typing the IP address...... Think about it -- If its disabled it shouldn't be connecting -- so how is it getting the command ???? That makes no sense.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Only have one router.
If I had another one I would biff this, the wireless never works longer than 1 or 2hr at best. Hence I don't use wireless.

I dunno. I tried it again just now. For an experiment. I manually disable the "Internet Gateway" by right click. I type 192.168.1.1 and I login, it succeeds.... webpages don't thou ...

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Put something underneath for the DNS server ips

Nomad
10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Put something underneath for the DNS server ips

That's a bit too technical for me. English please :)

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
I manually disable the "Internet Gateway" by right click. I type 192.168.1.1 and I login, it succeeds.... webpages don't thou ...

Well what do you mean by this?? Internet gateway under the LAN properties I take it? Put it on use the following ip address, give it an IP and put the routers ip in for the gateway. Then your ISP's DNS server ip's underneath. Then it should get on the net

Nomad
10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Under XP.
Start -> Connect to -> Show all connections.

Windows opens up.

It list your wireless and wired connections, firewire.
Above it, it says "Internet Gateway" which is the router.

Do you mean I go to my wired network and go to properties? Then go to TCP/IP properties? This is my wired connection , not my gateway - as per the icon.

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Under XP.
Start -> Connect to -> Show all connections.

Do you mean I go to my wired network and go to properties? Then go to TCP/IP properties? This is my wired connection , not my gateway - as per the icon.

You got it thats what you should be filling in, (under the Ipv4 entry) not whats under the gateway entry.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Is this:
Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server?

Xnet only provide primary and secondary DNS numbers ...

And, "obtain an ip address automatically"?

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Is this:
Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server?

Xnet only provide primary and secondary DNS numbers ...

And, "obtain an ip address automatically"?

Thats it, put 58.28.4.2 for primary, 58.28.6.2 for secondary. Or 8.8.8.8 for primary, 8.8.4.4 for secondary (this is googles).

Put the top option on use the following ip (give it an ip within the routers valid ip range), then put in 192.168.1.1 for the gateway (if this is the routers ip address to login into it). It should add the subnet mask. Then see what happens

Nomad
10-01-2010, 11:06 PM
How do I know the ip within my routers range?

Speedy Gonzales
10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Thats a good question. Login to the router they maybe there somewhere. Try 192.168.1.2?

Nomad
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Cheers post back tomm ... :)