PDA

View Full Version : Get the plumber or not?

Morgenmuffel
09-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Firstly i am a crap home handyman

Anyway we have sold our hellhole and are escaping it for good in a fortnight, but there are 2 really small leaks that need fixing, they have been there for ages (come and go) and were there when we sold the house, I feel like i should get them fixed, but i have spoken to a few people who said that if they were there when the house sold, i shouldn't worry about them.

What do you reckon? i feel it should be done, but money is tight and spending a couple of hundred on a plumber seems excessive.

And a guesstimate on what they would cost would help
Leak one is where the pipe goes into the dunny cistern
Leak two is where the dishwasher hose screws onto the tap

Cheers

prefect
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Turn of the toby or tap out at the gate pull off pipe to cistern go to placemakers and buy another crux nut seal
Take off dishwasher hoses connector replace rubber washer from placemakers

johcar
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
If they were there when the buyers signed the sale agreement, I wouldn't worry about it. Caveat emptor.

pctek
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Anyway we have sold our hellhole and are escaping it for good in a fortnight

Leak one is where the pipe goes into the dunny cistern
Leak two is where the dishwasher hose screws onto the tap

Cheers

Dishwasher hose??!! Thats not even worth mentioning. Leave it.

Pipe in cistern, well, nah you've sold it, the hell with the plumber.
I could ask husband what it would cost but he'd say the same thing, leave it.

Where are you going, still in town?

There's a place over the road here coming up for auction. The owner (3 owners ago) went and took a look yesterday. It was rough when she had it but it's beyond belief now. There isn't a single window intact, the back door is gone, not kicked in, gone, inc the fram around it.
The quite new oven is gone too now.

The current owner went back to Auckland so is probably oblivious to the missing stuff.

Oh and kids have tried lighting rags in the main floor, the smouldered and went out. Pity if you aks me.

And you're worrying about 1 minor leak.

Cicero
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I would fix if I thought I could do it,if not I wouldn't bother.

Not as if you were leaving a leaky house.

Morgenmuffel
10-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi PCTek, ask hubby the cost please as i think I would feel guity if I didn't at least look at getting it fixed

As for the dishwasher hose the tap and the hose arent compatible so there is an adaptor between them and this where the leak is happening, I can't work out which end is causing the leak so it is a bit hard to fix, my last attempt at fixing cut the leak heaps but it is still around 1 drip every 18 seconds when the tap is turned on

somebody
10-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi PCTek, ask hubby the cost please as i think I would feel guity if I didn't at least look at getting it fixed

As for the dishwasher hose the tap and the hose arent compatible so there is an adaptor between them and this where the leak is happening, I can't work out which end is causing the leak so it is a bit hard to fix, my last attempt at fixing cut the leak heaps but it is still around 1 drip every 18 seconds when the tap is turned on

It might just be a washer that needs replacing - they're around $2 each from somewhere like Mitre10, so you might as well replace both of them and see if it helps.

Morgenmuffel
10-01-2010, 08:02 PM
aha I was inspired to go and attack the dishwasher hose again, and I haven't had a drip in 10 minutes, fingers crossed it stays like that

Poppa John
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Just remember that plumbers are the most expensive tradesmen.

After computer technicians that is. ;):D

PJ now runs off to hide in wardrobe. PJ

somebody
10-01-2010, 08:32 PM

PJ now runs off to hide in wardrobe. PJ

They are also amongst the only tradesmen who have to deal with blocked toilets and sewerage pipes :)

robbyp
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Those Hepworth plumbing fittings work wonders when you have a leak in a pipe. Easy to use and reliable and avoids having to call in a plumber.

pctek
11-01-2010, 07:33 AM

I charge $75 an hour.
He charges $45 an hour. Both of us tend to do a flat fee though instead of counting the hours. I continually moan at him for the pathetic amounts he comes home with after being somewhere for ages. He says he charges for what the job was worth rather than how long he might have been there, especially if the customer is helping.
Like some leak at the butcher the other week, he charged $60 and was gone for hours.

pctek
11-01-2010, 07:37 AM

He says its hard to say because it all depends why it is leaking, he said it might be around $100 if you rang one of the Invy plumbers. With materials.

Depends whats causing it and he said he can't for sure tell you without more info.
He said if you really want to know ring him, but he also said with bad houses round here sometimes it's best not to touch anything cause next thing you find there's some other underlying thing and it spirals. He recommends you run away now seeing as it's sold. He said you don't anything about any leak.

robbyp
11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
He says its hard to say because it all depends why it is leaking, he said it might be around $100 if you rang one of the Invy plumbers. With materials.

Depends whats causing it and he said he can't for sure tell you without more info.
He said if you really want to know ring him, but he also said with bad houses round here sometimes it's best not to touch anything cause next thing you find there's some other underlying thing and it spirals. He recommends you run away now seeing as it's sold. He said you don't anything about any leak.

This is a major problem in NZ houses, which is hardly ever talked about http://www.house-buying-downunder.com/dux-quest-plumbing.htm

Cicero
11-01-2010, 01:01 PM
He says its hard to say because it all depends why it is leaking,

Indeed,this is the origins of the now famous leaky house syndrome.

robbyp
11-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Indeed,this is the origins of the now famous leaky house syndrome.

I was told by my plumber that it is like a secret leaky building crisis, because noone likes to talk about it, and they don't want their house to be known to have this problem. Basically it means replumbing the house in the long term, so you are talking hundreds of millions probably to fix all houses.

Terry Porritt
11-01-2010, 02:46 PM
My builder/renovator friend tells the same story, also how many of the so-called builders during the housing boom really only knew how to build using a glue gun....and horror stories of outer walls made of polystyrene stuff that you could kick holes through.

There was certainly some shoddy work going on with little quality control anywhere.

prefect
11-01-2010, 02:58 PM
I charge $75 an hour.
He charges $45 an hour. Both of us tend to do a flat fee though instead of counting the hours. I continually moan at him for the pathetic amounts he comes home with after being somewhere for ages. He says he charges for what the job was worth rather than how long he might have been there, especially if the customer is helping.
Like some leak at the butcher the other week, he charged $60 and was gone for hours.

Its because your husband is what is called in the trade a good bugger. There are a few around.

Morgenmuffel
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
pretty much all our piping is copper, the bit going onto the cistern is copper as well

prefect
11-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Coppers easy just use a crox nut and seal on it.
In the old days they soldered or flared them.

Cicero
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Its because your husband is what is called in the trade a good bugger. There are a few around.

So PC. less nagging if you please.

pctek
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
So PC. less nagging if you please.

He's the one that moans when I tell him there's nothing in the bank account.

Cicero
11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
He's the one that moans when I tell him there's nothing in the bank account.

You will keep buying new frocks.

Scouse
11-01-2010, 04:26 PM
RE: pretty much all our piping is copper, the bit going onto the cistern is copper as well

My local plumber, a really neat guy originally from Europe, told me that he was brought up and trained using copper. He now worries about it here and recommended for my job other materials because a lot of the copper piping now available is manufactured in some odd-ball Asian places and he claims that a lot of it is crap and won't last. :cool:

robbyp
11-01-2010, 04:46 PM
RE: pretty much all our piping is copper, the bit going onto the cistern is copper as well

My local plumber, a really neat guy originally from Europe, told me that he was brought up and trained using copper. He now worries about it here and recommended for my job other materials because a lot of the copper piping now available is manufactured in some odd-ball Asian places and he claims that a lot of it is crap and won't last. :cool:

There was something on fair go a few years ago about copper piping that leaked through tiny holes, and it was actually corroding. Certainly a worry if you are a house owner. Just make sure your plumbing is easily accessible.

Cicero
11-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Mostly synthetics these days,is it not?

somebody
11-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Mostly synthetics these days,is it not?

Butylene I think it's called? A grey-ish coloured plastic pipe with connectors you can crimp on.

pctek
12-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Butylene I think it's called?

Buteline.
Different to the nasty stuff that requires glue.

And I don't buy frocks. I haven't even bought food for weeks.

Trev
12-01-2010, 06:41 AM
A friend of mine is adding a bigger house onto his small existing house, and because he had trouble with the buteline plumbing is using cooper.
:)

Cicero
12-01-2010, 06:48 AM
I haven't even bought food for weeks.

You will be looking slim and gorgeous then!:drool

jcr1
12-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Copper piping reacts badly to water that might have some iron content or is acidic. I know this from personal experience because the house we live in we built 27 years ago (shifting to town soon:crying, swmbo keen as mustard to go. But that's another story) had copper piping installed and over the last few years it's been springing leaks, which we replace with that plastic piping, butylene, I think. It can be crimped onto existing piping.

Had the pipe to toilet cistern start leaking, a few weeks ago, and I thought I could fix it easy, but the threaded portion coming through the wall just collapsed as soon as I tried to screw new control valve on. Oh, oh, plumbers job then. $160 later job fixed.

Morgenmuffel
12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Ok this is what the cistern connection that is leaking looks like,

Attached file: DSC08253_(Custom).JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC08253_(Custom).JPG) (17 KB)

the thread hanging off it is to guide the leak in to a bucket, otherwise it runs down the pipe into the wall.

And I am a shade terrified of fixing this as i worried that if I put a bit much wellie into it I'll shatter the plastic

seltsam
12-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Thats a crox nut which pulls the swage (a formed bulge) in the copper pipe up against a brass wall socket. I don't like the way the pipe comes out an an angle, meaning the swage may not be square to the socket and hence passing water.

Tightening might work, or try backing off the nut, pulling out the pipe and wrapping the swage evenly with some PTFE tape, but it's doubtful, as the nut may not go back far enough due to the bend. Replacing the section of pipe is most likely solution (plumbers job for most)

Terry Porritt
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
That looks like a cobble up job, as seltsam indicates, no plumber or handyman worth his salt would make such a pigs ear of it.

I presume the other end of the pipe goes to a shut off valve.

You can get stainless, flexible braided hose from a plumbers suppliers, they come in different lengths, and they have an 'O' ring type seal in them. So you could just remove that piece of pipe, clean up the sockets at the cistern and the tap and replace with a flexible pipe. There is no need to overtighten.

Terry Porritt
12-01-2010, 07:59 PM
This is what I mean: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/hose.jpg

chiefnz
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
This is what I mean: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/hose.jpg

Hey you don't need a plumber for that go down to bunnings and by one fo the hoses in Terry's photo... they are not expensive and easy to install... I had exactly the same problem at a rental property... took me like 10 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

Piece of P1$$.

Cheers,

Greg
13-01-2010, 02:21 AM
Hey you don't need a plumber for that go down to bunnings and by one fo the hoses in Terry's photo... they are not expensive and easy to install... I had exactly the same problem at a rental property... took me like 10 minutes to remove the old one and install the new one.

Piece of P1$$.

Cheers,Easy? Yeah perhaps, but add the cost to redo the lousy wallpaper!

jcr1
13-01-2010, 06:30 AM
Easy? Yeah perhaps, but add the cost to redo the lousy wallpaper!

So right. That's exactly what went through my mind when I got the plumber. Out on the farm when I have water supply problems, I can attack it, when complications arise; hammer, cold chisel, file and polygrips. Then re-tap the thread and lots of thread tape and mostly ......it works!

But inside, I don't fancy redecorating if it turns to custard.

pctek
13-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Ok this is what the cistern connection that is leaking looks like,

Attached file: DSC08253_(Custom).JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC08253_(Custom).JPG) (17 KB)

Husband says flexipipe will be about $15. Should fix it. But if it doesn't then its the ballcock itself.

Why don't you just leave it?

prefect
13-01-2010, 09:50 AM
As pointed the root cause is the bend has been cut off too much not enough straight for the crox nut seal to seat properly.
If you use a ss flexy hose you will need a 90 deg adaptor.