PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - pre release.

Nomad
08-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi, I got a computer magazine hire at the public library which has the Win7 Pre Release CD.

I assume it cannot be used anymore.

I have a spare HDD. I can take out my current HDDs and install this empty new HDD and change the motherboard's date.

Will it work? What date should I backdate it to? How long can I use it?

PS. I couldn't download this big file since I am / was on 256k BB. :D

Cheers!

pcuser42
08-01-2010, 09:55 PM
It will work, but the Release Candidate (the beta has long expired) will start shutting down every two hours in March and stop working altogether in June IIRC.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Can you elaborate?
I'll do a search.

If I pushed back the motherboard clock and the windows clock at least I get a few months of trying it out right ......

Prob be a year later til I go Win7 when I get the RAM upgrade, upgrading at the moment would be a hassle. My WinXP works but having said that it could be a hobbyist thing, many large workplaces still have Win2k, some of them only went XP 2yrs ago.

pcuser42
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure if changing the clock for that reason is legal :xmouth:

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM
I dont think changing the clock will make any diff. Its probably in the software, when it'll expire.

pcuser42
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
And where's it getting the date from Speedy? ;)

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Space somewhere :p

pcuser42
09-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Uh huh. :stare:

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Looks like its got a set timebomb in it. (like the betas). And youre right. It'll die slowly from 1/3/2010. And shut down every 2 hrs till June

pcuser42
09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
A pity March 1 is my birthday. :( :p

Nomad
09-01-2010, 10:56 AM
A CD is read only, how can it tell if its been on the shelf for 1 month or 10yrs?

Hey I could install RC version Win95 with a 386 ;)

PENTIUM
09-01-2010, 01:10 PM
We do not know yet what deal Microsoft will offer before the trial version destructs.
Do not panic!

wainuitech
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
We do not know yet what deal Microsoft will offer before the trial version destructs.
Do not panic! 99.9 % chance it will be buy a version of your choice - the trial is ultimate.

It was given away FREE as a trial RC - so why should they now offer a "deal" to a person to carry on. ( get real :lol: )

It even states in the Trial that at the end of the trial period it will have to be removed as its inadvisable to upgrade from a RC to Full version. AND it would have to be the Ultimate
* Windows 7 Beta expires on August 1, 2009, and bi-hourly shutdowns will begin July 1, 2009.
* Windows 7 RC will expire June 1, 2010, and the bi-hourly shutdowns will begin on March 1, 2010.

In both cases, you’ll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the operating system and reinstall all your programs and data.

PENTIUM
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Wainui - I read that too.
There are different deals in other locations and it is always possible something could be extended 'down under' to save the need to order from overseas.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Aha .. it says I need to register within 30 days :p

At least I get a good few months with it, I am happy. As a trial user, the bi hour shutdowns don't bother me.

Would of been nice if it was a 64bit trial thou .......

Nomad
09-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I am not that exciting about Win7.

I haven't used Vista at all apart from at the shops so will take time to get used to the interface. After I read the magazine article and played around with it, it seems to be more towards home users. Sure there are features that makes it easier like networking and multimedia codecs and cd burning but I could accomplished that before with 3rd party software.

And obviously the Aero and et al .. design from Vista that has been improved.

For business, there is the encryption and the better user mgmt and WinXP mode.
I've worked in places when they might still be using Windows 2000 with their modern machines or some just gone to WinXP like 2yrs ago. Some are instead using Windows Server Workstation.

Are are your main features that you like?

Speedy Gonzales
09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I like the MP4 support. Dont think I'll install Itunes, or Quicktime again. Since QT sucks lol. The latest versions are crap IMO. Even tho the tuner here records in MP4, QT will either play them at a faster speed, or hang/crash, when I play them.

And at least Media center in Win7 detects the tuner, whereas Vista doesnt (because I dont have the TV Pack). And I can stream it to the Xbox, then to the TV.

Just installed a beta program called Classic Shell 0.9.8. It changes the menu to the XP style menus. Its easier to move programs from place to place. Its great. You can still use the Win7 menu, by pressing Shift, before you click on the orb.

And at least I can install printer drivers for the old brother printer here. The drivers came out last mth. Vista x64 doesnt have stand-alone drivers (without the apps).

And the icons in devices and printers are pretty cool. At least they look like the real thing

Chikara
09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Would of been nice if it was a 64bit trial thou .......

If you're talking about Win 7 RC (Release Candidate), then it can be installed as 64 bit... that is exactly what I am running at the moment. I plan to upgrade to the final Win 7 version before March when the shutdowns start.

IIRC, when you install it, it gives you the option to choose either 32bit or 64bit

Nomad
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I got the August or July PC Authority Magazine (Australia) from the library, it doesn't ask me for 32/64 .... 4100 build i think.

Chikara
09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Hmm I'm not sure what build 4100 is, but the official RC is build 7100.
When I installed mine it definitely gave me the choice of 64 bit option.

Mind you, that was a clean install. If the RC lets you upgrade over the top of an existing version, it probably won't give you the choice then, it'll just go with whatever flavour you currently have (32 or 64 bit) I'm guessing...

angry
10-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi, I got a computer magazine hire at the public library which has the Win7 Pre Release CD.

I assume it cannot be used anymore.

I have a spare HDD. I can take out my current HDDs and install this empty new HDD and change the motherboard's date.

Will it work? What date should I backdate it to? How long can I use it?

PS. I couldn't download this big file since I am / was on 256k BB. :D

Cheers!

there are ways of freezing a bios clock.

if you do this and wish to use the system on the internett
you must ensure that all of the date time sync instructions are disabled. I am unsure if Crashdoze has any secret spys in the rcs to prevent this.

this was/is still one of the primative activation hacks.

:rolleyes:

pcuser42
10-01-2010, 08:21 AM
IIRC, when you install it, it gives you the option to choose either 32bit or 64bit

You had to choose a different ISO to download for 64 bit. :)

Nomad
10-01-2010, 11:45 AM
there are ways of freezing a bios clock.

if you do this and wish to use the system on the internett
you must ensure that all of the date time sync instructions are disabled. I am unsure if Crashdoze has any secret spys in the rcs to prevent this.

this was/is still one of the primative activation hacks.

:rolleyes:

For argument sake.
But it says you need? to register online within 30 days or it may stop functioning (me thinks).

So wouldn't that match the date at the server's side ...

Anyway it is just a play around system just got the OS installed. No software.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Hmm I'm not sure what build 4100 is, but the official RC is build 7100.
When I installed mine it definitely gave me the choice of 64 bit option.

Mind you, that was a clean install. If the RC lets you upgrade over the top of an existing version, it probably won't give you the choice then, it'll just go with whatever flavour you currently have (32 or 64 bit) I'm guessing...

Maybe it is 7100 but that show how much I use it. Back to XP now doing my usual stuff....

I got it off a magazine CD / DVD so don't think it has the 64 bit option. Didn't download it.

Yes, fresh install on a spare empty HDD.

angry
10-01-2010, 11:50 PM
For argument sake.
But it says you need? to register online within 30 days or it may stop functioning (me thinks).

So wouldn't that match the date at the server's side ...

Anyway it is just a play around system just got the OS installed. No software.

if you freeze the bios clock, with say the most primative metheod, a flat battery.

Every time you boot, sys date will be date of board/bios manufacture.

If you then prevent the sys clock's from syncronizing with
anything, the damm thing will run forever because the bios date is never changeing.

There is a script used in virtual machine to do this also, first came to my attention when folk needed to use non y2k compliant SW that was no longer available.

This was applied to VM in a 2k sys you may still find references to it in posts around mid 2004

It sets the "Virtual Bios date" to what ever you instruct it to, every time, as that "VM Boots".

Again as long as you stop all the sys clocks in the virtual machine from syncronizing/updating you will be able to us the net with no issues. because it will always be febuary 1 2009 or what ever you choose.

Date and time only become relevant when you do date time relevant things in excell word ect.

The server side wont matter because you have prevented the OS/browsers/ect from date syncing, unless you want to use things like window$ update :yuck: and the like.

But you cant have it all, unless you chase down a good funny one, that I am not allowed to tell you about.:)