PDA

View Full Version : Conflict I/O error...???

05-08-2001, 01:55 PM
when I boot my computer, as it run BIOS, I get a
'Conflict I/O ports: 378'
and it won't continue automatically - I have to press F1 to continue.
Also worthy of note is that My speakers no longer work (This may or may not be relavent because their drivers went nuts one day, and I can't find a replacement set), the system clock no longer keeps track of time when I turn my comp off, and this thing keeps crashing on shutdown, at the point where all the icons etc. dissapear, leaving only the background, but before the 'Windows is now shutting down' screen appears - it freezes, and I have to hit the power button.
I don't know if that has any relavence to the I/O conflict, but they may be.

Windows 98SE, P1MMX 200Mhz, 96MB RAM.

Is there any way I can fix this stuff, or at least some of it?

05-08-2001, 04:18 PM
The system clock probably loses the time because the back-up battery which keeps it running when the main power is turned off has died. This is usually a 3.6 volt Ni-Cad battery pack, but these come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Often you can see the shape of the three cells in the pack. One I have here is dark blue, about an inch long and a bit over half an inch in diameter. They may be plugged in or soldered, so it might be an easy swap. If it is dead, it won't hurt to remove it and keep using the computer until you can find a replacement. Sometimes the NiCad battery packs from cordless phones fit nicely, but watch the polarity - don't swap red and black!

05-08-2001, 04:36 PM
My guess would be that the BIOS is set to use the same address for more than one serial / parallel port.

Have a look in integrated periperials, or similar and check the values.
Set them to auto unless you have a specific reason not to.

05-08-2001, 05:11 PM
The Clock:
Um, so it just needs a replacement battery? righto.
Where is is kept inside the comp? motherboard or what? I don't want to pull this thing apart until I have at least a vague idea of where it should be.
btw - why would the clock always come up with some weird time like 5.47AM when I start it? just wondering.

Fixing the conflict:
Um, the most I've ever fiddled around in BIOS is to re-arrange the drive boot sequence, when I once had a boot CD... the rest of it is beyond me. I don't change settings in the control panel either, so I'd appreciate detials in how/what to do.
At the same time, I'm no newbie to using a comp, I just need to know where to go and what settings need to be changed, etc etc etc.

Oh, just remembered:
The Speakers:
Some drivers or something went nuts, so I tried to use autoupdate, but to no avail...
It was making my system go mental, so I disabled the faulty driver - the 'Wave Device For Voice Modem'.
Just thought that might help somehow.

07-08-2001, 11:42 PM
Um, I hate to do this, but I really DO need help here...
anyone?

10-08-2001, 04:37 PM
when your cmos battary goes flat the cmos can lose the current settings, so that could be why there is a conflict even if you haven't changed anything.The cmos battary can be a button battary or as others have said plugs into the motherboard. To make it easy take it to a computer shop then they can reconfig the cmos for you and replace the battary.should cost under $30 for the battay and reconfig of cmos (or less!)

11-08-2001, 03:30 PM
I-O (Input Output) Port 378 is one of 3 potential parallel port addresses. The other one normally used is 278. Very old systems had another on the video card, but the later video cards don't have room. With this conflict, you may find some or all of your parallel port applications will fail. If your scanner plugs into the printer port, it will almost certainly fail.
The serial ports are typically 3F8, 2F8, 2E8 etc and are not your problem (or at least not this specific problem).
If you have two parallel ports installed in your computer (they have 25 pin female D connectors), make sure that they are set to different addresses. This may indicate 378 or 278, or they may refer to LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3. The lower number one will refer to 378, and the higher to 278, but that video card option might mean LPT2 is 378 and LPT3 is 278 - try changing one and see what happens. Note - one may be built in to the motherboard. Changing the setting may involve pulling the board out and moving a jumper or throwing a little switch - just don't lose the jumper. Push it onto just one pin in you have to.