PDA

View Full Version : HDD capacity

clevertrev
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi there once again peoples,

I'm having a blonde moment. I am doing a clean install of XP Pro but windows setup is only recognising 132GB of my 1TB drive. I've had this problem before when installing my previous 500GB drive but can't remember how to get around it. Bios is reading the full capacity. Any thoughts and feedback would be most appreciated.

Cheers Trev

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Install SP1, 2 or 3 after you install XP. Or slipstream, SP1, 2 or 3 then install XP

clevertrev
08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Cheers Speedy. So I can continue installing on the 132GB that it's seeing and then load SP 2 or 3 and do the partitioning later on then?

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Umm I dont know, what happens after you install a service pack. I've never come across this before. Since I've slipstreamed the service packs. But I've never had a 1 TB hdd either. BUT, you may not be able to partition it after even if windows sees the rest of it. Unless you use a 3rd party program. Since XP doesnt have anything in it to partition a hdd. Whats the XP setup seeing? 132 GB, or all of it??

clevertrev
08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
It's a brand new drive. XP setup is only seeing 131069MB of the drive. I'm setting it up to use as my main drive with two partitions...hopefully!!

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Yup its because a service pack hasnt been slipstreamed why XP cant see all of it. The only way you're going to partition it, is slipstream the service packs then install XP. Then partition it into whatever before you install XP on it. In the XP setup (unless you've got a 3rd party program)

clevertrev
08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok, now you're talking to a slipstreaming virgin here Speedy. How do I go about slipstreaming the SP's onto a brand new drive?? I've heard of it..but never used it. Sorry to be such a pain

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
No you have to copy the contents of the xp cd to a hdd thats in windows.

Then get something like Nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/) install this run it. Then select the folder you copied XP to. Then select the options you want. One of them is service pack. And one is create an ISO. Then add the service pack/s. Then it'll slipstream them. Then once you get to the end, you have the option to create an ISO. You have to create an ISO, then burn it to a blank cd. Then it'll be bootable. This is what you use

Agent_24
09-01-2010, 01:57 PM
You could probably format the drive with some other program, like GParted liveCD and then install windows onto it.

But slipstreaming is much better anyway

nLite makes it easier, but you don't need it: http://www.winsupersite.com/xp/sp3_slipstream.asp