PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with gadgets.

Nomad
08-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi, some of you are gadget minded people. I want to know how much are you into gadgets when you go travelling and if you can relate it to overseas travel.

I've had mixed results with it. Having to take it and all its associated accessories. Fees associated with roaming and not picking a local simcard due to the prepay setup package and its hassles of using it when I could just walk around and ask for help. I tend to go for shorter trips.

I have also found that free wifi not really that common in a lot of countries apart from the accommodation.

Cheers.

PinoyKiw
10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I always travel with 2 unlocked cellphones, and a container of sim cards for the various countries that I travel to and since both are Nokia's only need one charger cord and some plug adaptors.

Plus of course the laptop. Free wifi access I get in the airline lounges and I am usually staying at hotels that have either free wifi anyway or if not, it is just charged to the company anyway.

Apart from the laptop and computer add on's such as external hard drive, power cords, mouse, etc, that is probably the limit of my gadgets.

Biggest hassle I find with travelling is the need to have security scan the laptop and cellphone's separately.

But then that is one of the *joys* of travelling in todays world.

SurferJoe46
10-01-2010, 08:18 AM
"Travelling (sic) with gadgets."?????

Does taking the wife along count? :groan:

Zippity
10-01-2010, 10:04 AM
trav⋅el   /ˈtrævəl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [trav-uhl] Show IPA verb, -eled, -el⋅ing or (especially British) -elled, -el⋅ling, noun, adjective

We speak the Queen's Englush out here in the Colonies :) :)

SurferJoe46
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
More wasted letters - this time you killed an extraneous "l"

No wonder youse guys squeak!

Zippity
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
We speak with plums in our mouths - the proper way of speaking.

Not through our nasal passages :)

Nomad
10-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Cheers, I was more into personal international travelling.

Don't get business trips :( so all things come out of my own pocket. I won't be buying that Koru lounge or that business class seat, heck, I stay at hostel most of the time. Some of them are quite posh with Bose speakers in the lounge. Modern bathrooms and free hot drinks.

Companies pay for flights, accom, food and even room service hey .... at a decent hotel restaurant :p

I found it better to pay a few dollars at the PCs at the hostel for interneting... I find that on travel you use less of the PC.

Never had travelled with a laptop, the first trip if close was just the charger cos I took the laptop out and gave it someone to take home, while the charger was at cargo. That was the first and last time I carried a big travel pack and a daypack like many OE travellers. These days I go with one daypack only and if need be like razor I put the daypack into cargo and go onboard with no bag, plastic bag and a SLR over my shoulder. I got a smartphone cos I thought I could use wifi and cell if I get a simcard but found that for short trips not worth it, aslo with the small screen I find I don't use much, also gps require mobile data and subscription is not bad I guess but haven't needed it yet..... Hence the last trip the smartphone was only for wifi at the hostel, no wifi in cities, not priviledged for airport lounges so ... thought it could of been left at home. GPS wasn't that useful either. I didn't buy the official map ($$) and used Google coordinates and they were uploaded by Jane and Joe after they been to their accom and ate at that cafe, they weren't accurate at all. Well most don't log their day to day travels with a GPS everyday .......

PinoyKiw
10-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Don't get business trips :( so all things come out of my own pocket. I won't be buying that Koru lounge or that business class seat, heck, I stay at hostel most of the time.

I travel cattle class but sometimes I am lucky enough to get a free upgrade to business. I personally wouldn't pay for access to the airline lounge but they are good when I have the children with me, school holidays one or both of the children often travel with me so having access to the airline lounges so they get some free soft drink/fruit juice, food, fruits, nuts etc and the advantage that they are in a confined area. Usually stay in Motels though in some parts of Australia I go to, I stay in the work camp which consist of donga's (single unit sleepouts).

SurferJoe46
10-01-2010, 01:00 PM
I travel cattle class but sometimes I am lucky enough to get a free upgrade to business. ........................ Usually stay in Motels though in some parts of Australia I go to, I stay in the work camp which consist of donga's (single unit sleepouts).

At least you get to eat! I get to row to a drum.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I have slept on the floor once at the airport (singapore) as the seats were too hard and once on the seat (auckland upstairs at McDonalds when they close).

I know those who work in NZ, NZ doesn't have small business hotels like in Japan. Met some other workers at a training course, they get paid a decent hotel and set amount for each meal food which may include a glass of alcohol for the evening meal. Which includes a bacon and egg breakfast or a continental and a dinner roast meal with dessert! at night or have it room service if they didn't want to eat alone in the restaurant. Or they could eat out.