PDA

View Full Version : No POST, but DOES beep if RAM not installed

george12
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
I got a computer in the other day with a faulty motherboard (memory errors with known good RAM, dependant on slot).

Computer is a middle-of-the-range Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, and previously had a Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI board. Never was used in SLI configuration though, only has one PCI-E graphics card.

I have just replaced the motherboard with an Asus P5P41D. Upon turning it on, I just get nothing. The usual fans, HDD etc but no POST. However, if I remove the RAM it will beep. I have tried known good RAM, known good graphics card, just in case but to no avail.

Have cleared CMOS, etc. Motherboard is physically mounted fine with no possible shorts to my knowledge. Power connectors are all secure etc. If I remove the graphics card it does NOT beep. It will not turn off unless I hold the button down for 4 seconds.

I'm about to go out for lunch, but afterwards will try another PSU just in case. But does anyone have any suggestions before I RMA the new board? I assume that the CPU must be working for it to be able to reliably POST beep with no RAM, not to mention that there was never the slightest hint of a CPU problem before.

wainuitech
08-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Try disconnecting the front panel connections, (on / Reset button etc) fire it up by shorting the PWR pins with a screwdriver. See if it fires up.

I remember I had one similar to yours a few years back :confused: a real Pain in the Butt -- I discovered in the end it was the reset switch playing silly buggers.

Edited: failing that, take the Motherboard out of the Case, reassemble onto the Board, ---- graphic Card, PSU, CPU, Monitor KB & Mouse ( no need for HDD or Optical to get a BIOS screen) -- attach KNOWN good working compatible parts and see if it boots into the BIOS or shows something on the screen -- Nothing worse than sending back a Board as RMA when its something else causing the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Incompatible ram ? (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091224082625046&board_id=1&model=P5P41D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us)

george12
08-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Wainui, thanks, will try. Speedy, I tried two different brands of memory, all known good. I would not expect this to be the case. I have never found a board that won't boot at all with Apacer memory.

george12
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, disconnecting front panel connectors, USB etc also, didn't make a difference. Trying a different power supply didn't help either.

Have now tried with swapped RAM, PSU, GFX and nothing unnecessary connected. Had a look at CPU, but it appears fine. Will test the CPU again in the old mobo over the weekend. Otherwise just have to RMA the board I guess, unless I'm missing something?

wainuitech
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Only other thing I can think of -- The RAM, is it 2 x 1GB or 1 single 2GB ?

If its 2 x 1 GB, make sure the RAM goes in Slots A1 & B1, NOT A1/A2 ( they are normally color coded the Blue Ones)

Just curious , are you using 667, 800 or 1066 MHz.

According to the manual :eek: (you know if all else fails) if its a 2GB it says 667, any higher MHz for Apacer is 1024 / 512 MB.

george12
08-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Only other thing I can think of -- The RAM, is it 2 x 1GB or 1 single 2GB ?

If its 2 x 1 GB, make sure the RAM goes in Slots A1 & B1, NOT A1/A2 ( they are normally color coded the Blue Ones)

Just curious , are you using 667, 800 or 1066 MHz.

According to the manual :eek: (you know if all else fails) if its a 2GB it says 667, any higher MHz for Apacer is 1024 / 512 MB.

Well, I tried the owner's two 1GB DDR-667 modules, at first together in A1 & B1, then each separately, then tried my own 2GB DDR2-800 module in A1 and then B1. No luck sadly.

It's odd though, usually DOA boards won't beep if you take the RAM out. I haven't encountered this exact situation before.

wainuitech
08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I have - could simply be the Graphic circuits or some other component relating to graphics is kaput.

Does sound like its DOA though. RMA it.