PDA

View Full Version : What are Playtech like?

prefect
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Thinking about getting a Sony laptop model NW25 from Playtech as they have a good price, lots of stars in pricespy, nearby with a physical address.
Anyone had dealings with them?
Thanks
Collin

wratterus
08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
They are probably in the top 5 online stores in the country.

I would rank Ascent, ComputerLounge and PBTech above them, I would happily buy from them though.

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
A friend has bought 2 systems from them.
He is happy with their after-sales service.:2cents:

linw
08-01-2010, 10:35 AM
They are rated at GPForums second after Computer Lounge. I would have no qualms using them.

Metla
08-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Playtech-Excellent
Sony Laptop-Hahahahahaha.

Might as well buy an Apple if your seeking to get poor value for your dollar.

prefect
08-01-2010, 10:56 AM
I thought Toshiba and Sony were the only reliable laptops what do you recommend?
I have a budget max of 1500 bucks. Would like min of 2gb of ram and built in wireless Dell HP and Compac have issues dont they? from reading stuff here other are made in communist china which scares me a bit.

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:59 AM
ASUS make reliable ones according to those in the know.

prefect
08-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I see ASUS made in Nationalist China anyone got any bad experiences with ASUS?
I have promised the kids a better laptop for years my toshy sattelite with 64mb of ram takes about 5 minutes to boot up with xp faster on 98 but I cant things to connect with it. It been reliable though only thing went was floppy disk drive fall to bits.
Its dead now because I couldnt get it apart to change cmos battery so I smashed it to pieces.

wratterus
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I would recommend a toshiba (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=6476).

That's a pretty sharp price there...I've seen plenty of Tosh cash backs go through fine.

I still don't trust Sony but the last reliability report put them only a wee bit behind Asus and Toshiba, and ages ahead of Compaq/IBM/Acer.

prefect
08-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I would recommend a toshiba (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=6476).

That's a pretty sharp price there...I've seen plenty of Tosh cash backs go through fine.

I still don't trust Sony but the last reliability report put them only a wee bit behind Asus and Toshiba, and ages ahead of Compaq/IBM/Acer.

Thanks wratterus that looks like a good deal for a tosh will check with dragon and kids .

Sweep
08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
First make up your mind as to what to buy and then decide where to buy from.

Metla
08-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I thought Toshiba and Sony were the only reliable laptops what do you recommend?

1.Asus
2.Toshiba.
3.See number 1

somebody
08-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I see ASUS made in Nationalist China anyone got any bad experiences with ASUS?

Although Asus is a Taiwanese company, many of their factories are in mainland China, as labour is much cheaper there. They still manufacture some high-end components in Taiwan though, but most of the stuff is produced in China.. They are rated quite highly by PF1 members.

Sweep
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
And then convince others that the household can afford whatever.

hueybot3000
08-01-2010, 10:27 PM
another vote from me for Asus and Toshiba. Have used both and they last

prefect
08-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks for advice lappie will be either be Asus or Toshiba. Will cruise over to Playtech for a "look" with the family which 9 times out of 10 for my family means will come back with something.
Last week old Sony Trintron CRT died brought 32" Sony LCD tv and dvd recorder from Magness Benrow what supremely cool people to deal with. Told the kids we could have 32 inch tv and a lappy or 42 inch tv and no lappy so thats what they chose.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I like IBM, had 3 of 4 laptops.

Bit more $$, bit less spec'd up but a good corporate lappie, not for gamers and the like thou ... good conservative design, good after hour support, modular drive bays. Don't like Sony thou ... it's a bit like Apple as Metla said, it is about style, - hence its slogan and they market well.

Playtech - got RAM from them is all I know ...

pctek
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
I see ASUS made in Nationalist China .

Everything is made in China? Haven't you noticed? It's not where they are made, it's how and with what components.

ASUS or Toshiba.

prefect
09-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I notice a lot of components are made in Nationalist China not commy china. Surely the Nationalist chinese stuff would be better quality.

somebody
09-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Surely the Nationalist chinese stuff would be better quality.

Usually - but most of the stuff made in the PRC is done by Taiwanese owned companies anyway.

Here are some interesting stats: Attached file: CIMG4095_1.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/CIMG4095_1.jpg) (82 KB)

prefect
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Usually - but most of the stuff made in the PRC is done by Taiwanese owned companies anyway.

Here are some interesting stats: Attached file: CIMG4095_1.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/CIMG4095_1.jpg) (82 KB)

Thats very interesting didn't know the Nationalist Chinese had the market so sewn up.

prefect
10-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Update went there for a look and got the same one wratt recommended. No buyer remorse its much more speced and cheaper than what I expected
People there not pushy and answered questions without bullshitting. Was a fan of QNB computers but these guys are tops.
Biggest problem is getting the kids off it now didnt do the nortons 60 day trial got on AVG and spybot.
Thanks everyone esp wratt and metla