PDA

View Full Version : Command adhesive strips

Thomas01
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I needed a hanging basket in the shower to hold shampoos etc.
Command adhesive strip seemed a good way to go. I liked the TV adverts and the way the adhesive could be removed.

So I got the largest one I could find for the job followed the instructions to the letter and finally used it.

It lasted nearly all night before falling off.
I presume that plastic shower stalls are just not the best place to use these. Strange though because a very small cheap self adhesive hook had lasted a couple of years before giving up and the adhesive took some shifting off the shower wall.
Having accepted that Command strips were not effective on plastic I re read the instruction as I thought about putting the hook above the shower and sticking it to the bathroom wall.
To my surprise the instructions stated the strips are not recommended on "paper" wallpapers and may not adhere to vinyl wallpapers. Which surely means ANY wallpapers.
So it looks to me as though the strips may only be effective on woodwork or plaster or similar.

Pity that - I wasn't aware of these limitations and I doubt many people are - hence this thread.
I now have a large Command hook plus its spare adhesive strip looking for a home.
I will find one.

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I will find one.
The manufacturers posterior, by any chance?:D

roddy_boy
08-01-2010, 03:08 PM
cool story bro

ubergeek85
08-01-2010, 04:19 PM
cool story bro

useful post bro

Roscoe
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
My experience, on wallpaper, is that it will not hang anything heavy. A calendar is okay.

I was assured that a large one would hold a cuckoo clock, weights and all, but that only lasted a day.

Keep it simple, keep it light and it should work. Otherwise use a four inch nail.

cool story bro

He is as quick and as clever as ever - bro. Have you noticed?

somebody
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I have used it on painted timber surfaces and it's fine. Did you prep the surface as per the instructions (by cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol), and leaving it for the recommended time to "bond" properly?

In any case, the heat and moisture from the shower won't help.

xyz823
08-01-2010, 11:27 PM
cool story bro

Riveting Tale Chap

pctek
09-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Command adhesive strip seemed a good way to go. I liked the TV adverts and the way the adhesive could be removed.

Which, when I saw the ad, indicated to me that the stickabilty of them would be fairly useless.

Thomas01
09-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Did you prep the surface as per the instructions (by cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol), and leaving it for the recommended time to "bond" properly?

In any case, the heat and moisture from the shower won't help.

Yes I was very thorough about working to the correct instructions.
I also agree the heat and moisture would not help.
I like the idea of the product - pity it didn't work.

johcar
09-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I have had one in our shower for the last 5 years or so. Admittedly it isn't holding anything as heavy as a shampoo bottle, but it hasn't even looked like letting go...

Tony
09-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I needed a hanging basket in the shower to hold shampoos etc.
Command adhesive strip seemed a good way to go. I liked the TV adverts and the way the adhesive could be removed.You can get strips that are specifically for wet areas. I had a "standard" one in the shower and it fell off very quickly. The "wet area" one has lasted a very long (>1 year?) time.

I use the command adhesive stuff etc for all sorts of things - I reckon they are great. One use I put them to was to have the very smallest hooks at the top and bottom of a wall with builders string stretched between that I then used to clip Cnristmas cards to. They (the hooks not the cards :)) have been up for at least 4 years. Haven't tried them on wallpaper though. There are some new ones that are like a very heavy duty velcro that are fantastic for hanging pictures etc. flush to the wall.

pctek
09-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I use the command adhesive stuff etc for all sorts of things - .

Husband uses screws for everything, I use screws or nails. Nails are the least hassle.

Tony
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Husband uses screws for everything, I use screws or nails. Nails are the least hassle.The advantage of the strips is that they don't damage the wall surface.

Sweep
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
The advantage of the strips is that they don't damage the wall surface.

Tried those once and had to replace the glass on a frame when it fell off.

Tony
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Tried those once and had to replace the glass on a frame when it fell off.

You have to use the appropriate size strip/hook for the weight of article you are hanging.
For anything with a frame I would use the velcro-type strips I mentioned in an earlier post.

Sweep
09-01-2010, 04:02 PM
You have to use the appropriate size strip/hook for the weight of article you are hanging.
For anything with a frame I would use the velcro-type strips I mentioned in an earlier post.

Agreed with the weight and was well within the advised blurb.

Now hung using a screw.

Tony
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Now hung using a screw.Didn't that make a hole in the glass? :)

Sweep
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Didn't that make a hole in the glass? :)
No.