PDA

View Full Version : CPU speed not correct after model change

gza
08-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi. I fitted an AMD Sempron 2400 CPU into my computer as a replacement for the fried AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU and the CPU ID and effective speed displayed in System for the Sempron 2400 are AMD Athlon XP1500+ 1.33GHz.
The AMD Sempron 2400 should be showing as such and have an effective speed of 1.67GHz
The Sempron and the fried CPU are both A462 socket fitting CPU's and both have 1.67GHz speed ratings.
My computer is an HP Compaq Presario S3010AN (PC) and its pretty much factory issue.
MoBo is AM37 (FIC KM266-8235)
BIOS is Phoenix Technologies,Ltd AM37320, 08/01/03. This BIOS I updated from the original which from memory I think was AM37 v.3.1. That was done two+ years ago and I find that there is not a newer update since 08/01/03 to be had anywhere. I've tried recently and many times in past 2years. Seems no-one can get an update for it.
From the boot diagnostics screen the info given is:
KM266-8235 08/01/03 6A6LVFOBC-00
These BIOS and CPU readings are taken from the WXP Pro SP2 system that runs on my computer. I'm also running Win7 Ultimate and the same CPU error shows in that in System.Both OS are 32 Bit. My computer isn't really up to scratch to run W7 really well but it does run albeit a bit slowly. That'll be changed when I get on with the com build I am working on piece x piece.
I checked the BIOS because the vendor of the Sempron 2400 replied to my email yesterday and said that I probably have an older mobo like a K166 or KM266 and that maybe I need a Bios update and that these older mobo's can show errors and that they will read the CPU as being an Athlon XP 1500+ and not the Sempron 2400.
Whats your views on that?
The CPU does have the Sempron name attached to that black ID sticker that is atop it. As for the small print on the sticker I can't read that, no magnifying glass.
Oh, the mobo FSB is set at 133, as it has always been. The only other setting is 100 and that's never been used by me.
I have done a search of threads here and read the one posted by Speedy yesterday but I'm not prepared to try anything without first getting some clues as to what I'm doing.

I'd appreciate your advice, thanks
gza

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:36 AM
gza, Speedy had a similar issue in this thread, it's probably worth trying the same fix.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=106389

gza
08-01-2010, 10:40 AM
That was fast response from you KarameaDave! I'm about to re-read Speedy's thread and do a bit more searching and forward my thoughts and reply to the vendor who said he would look into my problem. Might help if he has the Tech specs on my computer, eh.
Cheers

I'll give Speedy's fix for his com a try on mine. If I'm not back soon,....
; )

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Or device manager / action. Scan for hardware changes might do the trick too. Well thats if youre talking about the same thing I said (the processor was showing the wrong one in device manager), but showed the right CPU and speed in the BIOS and under system

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Gee, sorry gza, I should have read your whole post and didn't,
just fired off a reply, for that I apologise.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Umm where did you go to find out if there was a BIOS update?? Since this update (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-14739-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=314776) is dated 18/9/03. Well I think thats your PC?

gza
08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Ok, I tried Speedy's fix that worked for him but it didn't for me, no offence Speedy.
Using W7 device manager I uninstalled the Athlon XP 1500+ 1.33GHz CPU, had to reboot to complete the uninstal. Reopened com into W7 and as it was loading the desktop there is a message that Drivers have been installed for Athlon XP 1500+ Processor and that I need to reboot. Did that and I still have the wrong processor and speed showing in Device manager. Well of course it would be because that is the drivers that were loaded/installed..
I'm getting bad thoughts about the Sempron sticker (that I'll keep to myself).....hope its not Largactil time % (

Just read your replies and here's a few answers
That's cool KarameaDave
Speedy, The Bios update that i got way back was from either the Phoenix Technologies site or the AM 37 FIC KM266 site.
It seems that an update beyond the one I have cannot be got, as is seen in doing a search for an AM37 BIOS update on the web. There are many hits showing that other people cannot get an update for the AM37 Bios.
Here you go, from FIC AM37 mobo/ bios updates, got it 1 minute ago http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/bios.aspx?model_id=107

I'll have to have another think and get the info I have off to the trader from whom I purchased the CPU.

I do have another AM37 mobo here that also had its cpu fried. I'll try this cpu in that and see what happens and post back
Thanks

I'll do the scan for hardware changes as you suggest Speedy. The info on the cpu ID and its speed were taken from Device manager in both WXP Pro and W7.
Thanks again

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I use this, but it's probably just going to read the same info
you already got I imagine.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Speedy, The Bios update that i got way back was from either the Phoenix Technologies site or the AM 37 FIC KM266 site.

That doesnt mean the updates for everything inc the BIOS are on that site. If the system is HP, you go to the HP site. Phoenix tech are the makers of the BIOS. NOT the mobo itself. Go to the link I posted

gza
08-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Speedy,I have gone to the link you posted and have the update sp23966.exe which I will set about flashing the bios with shortly. It seems to be the same one that I already have ( AM 37 v3.20) but I'll try it out. Thanks
KarameaDave, I'll try the cpuid you suggest but like you I expect the same results back, but I'll try it. I tried it about 3-4 year back on a Pentium3 450MHz I'd fitted to a 'slot' replacing the Pentium2 MMX 300MHz cpu. Bios showed the 450MHz cpu as having an incorrect cpuID, etc. Thanks tho.

I spent hours last night trying to get an update, using Phoenix Tech BiosAgent Plus and Driver Genius Pro. BiosAgent Plus got nothing that I didn't have to pay for and wouldn't give any info on what the update is, and Driver Genius came up with a 4pack of 32 & 64 bit drivers for Vista and W7, namely AMD/ATI Drivers: AMD690G/780G/SB400/SB450/SB600/SB700/SB750 Chipset drivers.
They're installed now but I don't think they are for my computer hardware configuration. I think they are for the AM2 socket cpu's, even though it did say it is for the Sempron.

Anyway, I'll get on with this bios flash update. Back soon.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
It maybe different, as its got a different date from what you posted

gza
08-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Just installed CPUID CPU-Z 1.53.1. Same results as I have elsewhere.Here is a W7 Snipping tool .png, if it shows and is permitted on PF1.....no, it won't transfer here.
Get on with the bios flash

Speedy, thanks, about to try it now.

feersumendjinn
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Bios version is not the problem.
What you need to do is set the cpu frequency and multiplier manually in your mobos bios settings, these mobos do not have the capability to do it automatically (unlike todays whizzbang examples); I know because I had the same problem with my previous machine (Athlon XP2500 462 socket).

feersumendjinn
08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Maybe this'll help
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Sempron%202400%2B%20-%20SDA2400DUT3D%20%28SDA2400BOX%29.html
As it says you should be on 333mhz Fsb (166 x2 (double data rate)), and multiplier of 10, for this processor, looks like this motherboard cant do that :crying, going by the info in your first post.:badpc:

feersumendjinn
08-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Prolly wont hurt the cpu to run at its current speed, just annoying!

gza
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
feersumendjinnm thanks for your input. I have just done the bios update and nothing changed. Looked into setup and get this on the installed bios:
Bios Core Version V6.0
Bios Revision 3.20 08/01/03..........................no change whatsoever.
Again I uninstalled the CPU in Device Manager, rebooted, etc as before, still have an Athlon XP 1500+
Strange thing is that the com is nippy enough in WXP Pro SP2 and I can tolerate it. W7 is just a play thing for me to get to know it, at the moment, its not all that slow really but not as fast as XP, on my computer, and my dear old Radeon 9000S graphics card isnt recognised by W7, it works but only because I had to load the drivers for it that work in XP. Yeah, it BSOD's on shutdown....error info is ati2dvag.dll. Pain in the butt but is not a problem otherwise. The Radeon 9000S won't accept the Vista or W7 drivers. Might be going W7 64 bit when I get new com-build finished. Or W8 perhaps? dunno yet

Alas, it is true I suspect that what feersumendjinn says about the FSB settings, I don't think this AM37 can be jumper adjusted to the specs he says are needed for the Sempron 2400 that I have ( a rose by any other name is still a rose )

Not much point in my seeking out an AMD whatever 3000 that will deliver 2+GHz.
Tho I may hunt out another Athlon XP2000+ to get the extra 600MHz it can supply...maybe.
Thanks guys, I'll go read the info in the link that feersumendjinn supplied.
Ta, all good
gza

gza
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, I read the link, pretty technical for me but I do get the gist of it.
I won't get 600MHz if i get an Athlon XP2000+, I'll get 340MHz, close enough. All good as I said before.
I'm still waiting for the MSI KT4VA mobo I bought on TradeMe over a week ago. Perhaps that'll oblige with the Sempron,, dunno.....think I'll go check the spec of it.
ciao 4 now
gza

feersumendjinn
09-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Yup, the fastest that mobo will go is 133, dang it!

From webpage: Actual bus frequency is 166 MHz. Because the processor uses Double Data Rate bus the effective bus speed is 333 MHz

From gza: Oh, the mobo FSB is set at 133, as it has always been. The only other setting is 100 and that's never been used by me.
Finding a XP2000+ is a plan, but a later mobo would be better.

gza
09-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi, I'm back and I have an XP 2000+ now, courtesy of the clock speed adjuster of the MSI KT4AV that arrived today.
I've never altered clock settings before but I knew the MSI had clock adjustment and offers 'overclocking' of CPU's.
Last night I d-loaded the manual for the MSI mobo and learned how to do the adjustments. Them being available in BIOS setup is handy.
The default setting is 100MHz and I changed this to be 166MHz. I didn't make any adjustment to the multiplier, left it at Auto, which I assume is x10.
Upon rebooting com i noticed that DRAM is now 333MHz and thats what i required ( I guess).
The info displayed in My Computer/Properties is that the AMD Sempron 2400 that was an AMD Athlon XP1500+ is now an AMD Athlon XP2000+, 1.67GHz.
Yay : D
Hmmmm........i wonder if a bit more tweeking will have the cpu thinking its a Phenom11 Quad core 2.8GHz that can leave a MacClaren F1 T-bucket in its wake?....hmmmmmm :drool
All good and thanks feersumendjinn, I knew what the prob was as soon as you mentioned the FSB, but it had never occurred to me to consider it.
Learn something new everyday
Thank you all
footnote: the damn MSI mobo is too big to fit in the HP Compaq Presario case. Looks like a purchase is on the cards. :rolleyes:
ciao 4 now
gza :punk

feersumendjinn
10-01-2010, 12:59 AM
Okey dokey, just check your ram card/s on the KT4AV are at least 333Mhz or faster (should read (on card/s label) DDR333/PC2700 or DDR400/PC3200).
Good news :clap