PDA

View Full Version : Excessive pagefile usage at startup

Strommer
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM
For about 5 minutes after boot-up, my pc's pagefile usage is around 70 - 90%. Task Manager > Processes shows high memory activity for services.exe. There is also a high CPU rating, although this fluctuates and is not as high as the pf. During the time of high pf any pc activity is slowed down quite a bit, even the internet is like molasses.

After 5 minutes or so, pf and cpu activity drop down to normal.

I have tried shutting down Comodo firewall and disabling Avast, but this does not fix the problem. Firefox or other browsers do not automatically start, and I have disabled non essential programs from auto start up. Repeated virus and malware scans show nothing. There is negligible internet activity during the high pf period so it does not seem to be a trojan, etc., and I have also done several Hijack_This scans with analysis.

WinXP, P4 cpu, 1G RAM. Coming out of sleep mode does not cause problems - only on rebooting.

Any ideas of what may be causing the problem? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Disable the pagefile, then re-create it. See if that fixes it.

KarameaDave
08-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Had a similar prob when I had indexing enabled on my HTPC.
Might be worth a look.

chiefnz
08-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Are you using Windows Desktop Search 4.0?

We had similar issues at work with laptops and desktops booting slowly, pf was being thrashed... uninstalling Windows Desktpop Search seemed to fix this issue.

Cheers,

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Yup good point chief. Anything to do with windows search I avoid. I disable it in Vista and Win7 as well. As well as indexing

linw
08-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Me too!!

Strommer
08-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Had a similar prob when I had indexing enabled on my HTPC.
Might be worth a look.

Turning off Windows Indexing was the first thing I did when reinstalling XP on a new hard drive, on each partition. But somehow I now notice that indexing WAS on my back up hd (both hd's are 500 Gb Seagates) - now I have turned it off and will see if this takes care of the problem.

I have never had Windows Desktop Search installed but earlier this year I did try Google Desktop Search - thought I disabled it but will check again using Services.

I will try this Speedy, if the above does not solve the problem. However, look at this page (http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000422.html): and tell me what you think... I remember reading somewhere that someone had to install XP again after disabling the pagefile. Initially, everything was fine, actually even better than WITH the page file. It lasted for some time and eventually, at some point, XP would load and start again. Had to reinstall.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 02:52 PM
You can select no pagefile in XP (under my computer / properties advanced I think). Altho if you had to reinstall after selecting no pagefile, whats the point in having the option? I've done it myself. I wouldnt leave it off, put it back on (system managed), it'll recreate it

Strommer
08-01-2010, 08:09 PM
You can select no pagefile in XP (under my computer / properties advanced I think). Altho if you had to reinstall after selecting no pagefile, whats the point in having the option? I've done it myself. I wouldnt leave it off, put it back on (system managed), it'll recreate it

Speedy, the green text in my last post was from the page I had a link to; i.e. I did not have to reinstall.

When I reboot my pc, I will report back with the results.

Strommer
09-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Finally rebooted and still have excessive pagefile and cpu usage.

Went into Comodo > Active Process List, and found sp_rsser.exe ... Crawler.com (everything else looked OK). Found this is Spyware Terminator (which I only seldom use and thought I had disabled it). Went into Services and changed Spyware Terminator from Automatic to Manual, but this has not changed the excessive cpu and pf usage; maybe it needs a reboot for the Services change to take effect?

Anyhow Speedy, I may soon follow your advice regarding the pagefile, as in your post #2 above.

If anyone else has ideas on this matter, I would be glad to hear them. Thanks.

Strommer
14-01-2010, 09:28 AM

OK, ready to try this. Speedy, do I disable the pf, reboot, then re-create it (system managed)? Or skip rebooting? My pc has 1G RAM.

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Dunno what the pf is. Just disable the pagefile, reboot then put it on system managed again

Strommer
14-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Dunno what the pf is. Just disable the pagefile, reboot then put it on system managed again

Thanks.

pf = pagefile :)

Speedy Gonzales
14-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Duh :p Yup, you would have to reboot for it to work

Strommer
15-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Bugger, disabling / re-enabling the pagefile did not work.

With no pagefile it was as usual - high pagefile and cpu usage.

Then rebooting with System Managed pagefile was the same.

Here is an analysis of the problem:

Graph of high pagefile and cpu usage - Task Manager
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Pagefile_(2).jpg

High Mem usage by services.exe - Task Manager
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Pagefile_(3).jpg

High CPU usage by System Idle Process - Task Manager
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/22a_(Medium).jpg

Active process list as shown by Comodo
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Pagefile_(1).jpg

After 5 - 10 minutes, WinXP returns to normal
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Pagefile_.jpg

I have run repeated AV and malware scans, plus HijackThis. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Its not that high. Lucky, you didnt install MS's security essentials. It'll be going to 100% !

linw
15-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Pretty weird, Steve. Have you tried it in safe mode? msconfig has options for clean starts so that might be useful for diagnostics, as well.

linw
15-01-2010, 09:23 AM
services.exe starts and stops services so its excessive use of resources suggests either a problem with one or more services or its being taken over by a trojan (yes, I know you have scanned for baddies!). The real services.exe is in the system32 folder and is NOT started from the run command in the registry. Bogus files may be in the windows folder.

Just something to check for!

Strommer
15-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Speedy - it IS high. Remember my pc is bogged down and runs slow when the pagefile is high.

linw - I have tweaked msconfig and other start up processes using Admin Tools > Services. Not sure what starting in Safe Mode would accomplish. Here are the locations of services.exe on my pc: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/22_F_services.jpg
...however I am not sure if AvaFind would locate it if the location was embedded somewhere in the Registry?

Another malware scan: Yes, I will do this. I have Spyware Terminator and a few others that I will enable. I may even splurge and pay$$ to get Nod32.

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Get more ram them

fred_fish
15-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Speedy - it IS high. Remember my pc is bogged down and runs slow when the pagefile is high.
Those Task Manager snaps look fine, ~46MB mem usage for services.exe does NOT use up >2GB of pagefile. The total of mem used by all processes is nowhere near your pagefile usage.
Also, the high CPU usage of System Idle Process is a measure of your CPU having nothing to do :)

Any other ideas are welcome. Thanks.

:confused:
Turn on some extra columns in Task Manager, like disk io etc.
Something is doing a lot of something....

Strommer
15-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Get more ram them

The high pagefile usage is only a recent development. For more than 4 years 1G of RAM has been just fine.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Turn on some extra columns in Task Manager, like disk io etc.

How is this done?

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:14 AM
View / select columns in task manager

Strommer
15-01-2010, 10:39 AM
View / select columns in task manager

It is not there. I have tried all possibilities (before my post #23). WinXP Home

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Oh well if its not there something is screwed. I just checked in XP here, its there. You do see the menu right?

Strommer
15-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Oh well if its not there something is screwed. I just checked in XP here, its there. You do see the menu right?

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/22_G.jpg

Sweep
15-01-2010, 10:55 AM
It is also in Win 7 but you have to be on the right tab to see it.

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Did you click on view / select columns?

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Did you click on view / select columns?

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/22_H.jpg

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Hmm. Is SP3 on it?

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Hmm. Is SP3 on it?

nope

Speedy Gonzales
15-01-2010, 11:16 AM
That could be one reason. Are any SP's on it?

fred_fish
15-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Try it on the process tab ...

Sweep
15-01-2010, 11:29 AM
It does not show under the application tab.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:30 AM

:) Yeah ! :banana

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I ticked a bunch of items but no extra columns have appeared under Processes or anything else. Reboot needed?

Updated Spyware Terminator. 3 scans have shown nothing; have not scanned all drives, all files, just Windows and C drive exe., dll, ... etc

linw
15-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Odd, your Task Mgr doesn't have the Select columns option. An XP SP3 machine here does.

I suggested trying safe mode as this mode only runs the basics. Could be helpful diagnostically.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Odd, your Task Mgr doesn't have the Select columns option. An XP SP3 machine here does.

I suggested trying safe mode as this mode only runs the basics. Could be helpful diagnostically.

Read posts # 35, 36, 37 above

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Working now. Maximized the Task Manager window, duh... :waughh:
Got lots of columns now. Will wait for rebooting, then will take a few screenshots of what is happening when the pagefile goes wild.

fred_fish
15-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I ticked a bunch of items but no extra columns have appeared under Processes or anything else. Reboot needed?
Nope.
Did you stretch out the window / use the slider at the bottom?

Strommer
15-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Nope.
Did you stretch out the window / use the slider at the bottom?

See my post #40 above.

Strommer
15-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Rebooted and pagefile went high once again.

Studied the extra columns in Task Manager, especially I/O.

Problem could be Avast, so I changed the settings by ticking two boxes, see here:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/33_d_Avast.jpg
BTW, Avast does not do a memory scan upon start up - I have never set it to do this.

Installed Glary Utilities Pro (see my GAOTD thread free until 9 pm tonight) and cleaned up the registry after making a restore point. Did this prior to rebooting. Did not help with the pagefile problem but makes me feel good plus I like free 'pro' software. :D

Stay tuned. I will see if the Avast changes stop the high pagefile usage.

fred_fish
15-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Maybe turn off pagefile altogether and see which process starts bitching :cool:

Strommer
16-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Still having excessive pagefile usage.

Turned off Avast auto scan (see my post 43 above) also disabled java quick start jqs.exe and have tweaked other settings but still has not helped.

Task Manager shows SERVICES to be the culprit. Is there any program that will reveal which process is the problem? I can go to Admin Tools > Services and see the ones that are set on "automatic" but it does not give real time usage data for each of the services.

---

[edit] fred_fish and anyone else @ turning off pagefile: Read my post #15 above.

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2010, 12:01 PM
This (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)

fred_fish
16-01-2010, 12:19 PM
[edit] fred_fish and anyone else @ turning off pagefile: Read my post #15 above.
With no pagefile it was as usual - high pagefile and cpu usage.

Then you didn't turn it off, you can't have excessive page file usage if you don't have a pagefile.

Also 46MB is not excessive mem usage for an instance of services.exe

chiefnz
16-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Hmm. Is SP3 on it?

nope

Ok, for starters I would say install SP3. There may be some patches which address the issues you are having... not to mention it's probably a good idea to update to SP3 anyways.

If I were you I would update to SP3 and see if you have the same problem... if not sweet but if it still exists then further investigation obviously needs to be done.

just my :2cents:

Strommer
16-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Then you didn't turn it off, you can't have excessive page file usage if you don't have a pagefile.

Good point. Seems obvious to me now and not sure why no one else noticed. However I did indeed do the changes necessary to disable the pagefile. Hmmnnn, I wonder if Comodo firewall blocked the change? Will give it another go with Comodo disabled. Re: 46 Mb of Services - when viewing the Processes in Task Manager there are other indicators that show excessive usage - I did not take a screen shot and cannot recall which indicators.

Speedy - thanks, I will give Process Explorer a try.

chiefnz - re: SP3 - the excessive pagefile usage started a few weeks ago and prior to that SP2 was just fine. The only reason I installed SP2 was that some program would not work without it - maybe it was WMPlayer, Flash, or something. As a last resort I will install SP3. M$ service packs will sometimes bugger up XP completely.

Speedy Gonzales
16-01-2010, 01:33 PM
The only reason SP3 may bugger things up is if its an HP system. If it is get the fix before you install it. Cant say I've had any probs using flash with SP3. Its on the other PC here

Strommer
17-01-2010, 03:26 PM
This (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx)

Great little program, but I am still at a loss finding a solution.
Screenshots:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/1process_viewer_2_sys_info_4_grpahs_(Large)1263694 979.jpg
The graph shows the system returning to normal. During high cpu and pagefile usage, everything on the pc runs slow.
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/1process_viewer_1_(Large).jpg

Speedy Gonzales
17-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Well unless youre using an HP system I would install SP3. We're not going to know if that will fix it or not. Or you could be here forever, trying to figure out what the cause / prob is

Strommer
17-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, OK... maybe. But I see no reason why the lack of SP3 would cause the problem - remember it only started a few weeks ago. But no problem, I will first make an Acronis image in case SP3 does something bad to my pc.

BTW, not an HP. ASUS mb, built by Atech in Wgtn.

chiefnz
17-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah, OK... maybe. But I see no reason why the lack of SP3 would cause the problem - remember it only started a few weeks ago. But no problem, I will first make an Acronis image in case SP3 does something bad to my pc.

BTW, not an HP. ASUS mb, built by Atech in Wgtn.

Agreed but on the flipside neither can you say that it may not fix it...

I understand where you're coming from... but prudence suggests you update to the latest SP... at least that way your machine will be up to date with the critical patches... I would also suggest you do a Windows Update after that, to plug any post SP3 holes which may exist.

Cheers,