PDA

View Full Version : Video games on PC

Nomad
07-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Just played the first game with a PC I got a year ago, specs underneath on my signature. Wondering about spec requirements and how it compares to a console?

Played Wolfenstein demo fine despite it asking a 6800GT and a 3.2Ghz. Would it slow down at high reso? I was at 1440x900 abouts. The default.

The other thing with console I find these type of games is easier on a keyboard than the gamepad. How are the two compared in terms of graphic quality and within reason to the human eye? Would a console be cheaper that you don't need to upgrade the hardware and can play games for a good few years?

Cheers.

hueybot3000
08-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Not entirely sure what you mean but I think that
- PC graphics will always be better than console, thats the way it is atm anyway
- You have a Quad, not sure on wolfensteins requirements but your quad should be sweet with anything for a bit yet

All id suggest for you is a graphics upgrade, maybe a 4870/90, maybe even better if you game at 1920x1200

qazwsxokmijn
08-01-2010, 12:20 AM
The good thing about consoles is that you won't need to upgrade to play console games until of course, when the next gen of certain consoles are made.

And due to the fact consoles need to be small and lightweight relative to computers, you can't cram high performance components in such small spaces. This is where the computer excels over consoles, and what makes it so much fun - the ability to upgrade it and cool it with various means and mod it more extensively.

And thanks to the PC's higher performance, games can be made to take advantage of all this power and give you great looking graphics. With consoles you won't get near the 'Very High' quality of games like Crysis when you run it with a 4870 or GTX280 or above coupled with a decent CPU like a C2Q.

plod
08-01-2010, 06:36 AM
PC gaming is dead, long live the console.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 06:55 AM
You'll be surprised what they can cram into a console case. And how good the graphics are, compared to a PC

plod
08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
The good thing about consoles is that you won't need to upgrade to play console games until of course, when the next gen of certain consoles are made.

And due to the fact consoles need to be small and lightweight relative to computers, you can't cram high performance components in such small spaces. This is where the computer excels over consoles, and what makes it so much fun - the ability to upgrade it and cool it with various means and mod it more extensively.

And thanks to the PC's higher performance, games can be made to take advantage of all this power and give you great looking graphics. With consoles you won't get near the 'Very High' quality of games like Crysis when you run it with a 4870 or GTX280 or above coupled with a decent CPU like a C2Q.
As i'm not a pc gamer, I will take your word for it. But playing a game on a PS3 on a 50 plasma is amazing. No worries if the new game will run properly on the console. Couldn't think of anything worse then bringing a new game home and not knowing if the console will play it or not.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 07:14 AM
I suppose it depends on WHAT you play a game on. On how good the grahics are. On here, the Xbox since its connected with HDMI looks completely different, compared to when I connected it to the TV. It was too dark on the TV, I could hardly see what was what. Same here, I'm not really into PC games either (I've only got 2), but, I didnt buy them. I won them from PCworld.

pcuser42
08-01-2010, 07:22 AM
PC gaming is dead, long live the console.

If the Wii was your primary gaming console, you might not say that. ;)

plod
08-01-2010, 07:31 AM
If the Wii was your primary gaming console, you might not say that. ;)

The Wii is NOT a gaming console:p I have one, only because it was gifted to us.

pcuser42
08-01-2010, 08:00 AM
The Wii is NOT a gaming console:p I have one, only because it was gifted to us.

You play games on it, therefore it is a gaming console. (Ours was a Christmas present.)

Nomad
08-01-2010, 09:13 AM
These days you can get the same games for the PC and console(s). A PC has semi or full HD and a console has HDMI.

With limits to the human eye, is there much diff between semi and full HD for games? Is there going to be much diff between an expensive PC running at top frames per sec vs a console that might run at a lower rate?

For the hardware, I thought games were preferable to a lesser core and higher Ghz so I was a bit surprised my system ran it without issues. Ah .. not into games that much so not upgrading my video card :D This is my first game that I played since a year buying my PC and it was a demo. Nor would I want to spend that amount of money on the video card every 6 months :p

Battleneter2
08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
As a 360 owner myself I can say "most" console Games feel like they are dumbed down kiddy crap.

If your into first person shooters and Real time strategy PC is the ONLY way to go, a controller is just NOT precise enough. I also run a 360 controller on my PC for the odd play of Dirt2 etc.

If your into car raceing and platform type a games console might be for you.

A medium to high end PC has vastly superior graphics to either the 360 or PS3 unless its a direct port like COD4 Modern Warefare 2. The PC is held back with no improved graphics over console except you'll prob be running in higher resolutions.

In Games like Fallout 3 on PC/360/PS3 the PC shines as resolutions are higher and view distances are much better with far less slow downs etc.
http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/fallout-3-pc-vs-ps3-vs-360/285695

Here on Batman the texture's and frame rate is clearly better on the pc, no surprise.
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/exclusive-batman-arkham-asylum-pc-vs-console-comparison-1

Any game that is multi platform, the PC usually wins.

Metla
08-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Big screen is certainly a bonus for console gaming, But the 22" LCD on the PC is also damn fine, especially as you sit just a few inches from it.

I'm yet to find a console game that distracts me for more then a couple of hours, and so far haven't found a racing game worthy of using a steering wheel, I do want to try Forza 3 but it would have to be a pretty damn big improvement over Forza 2.

qazwsxokmijn
08-01-2010, 11:24 AM
As i'm not a pc gamer, I will take your word for it. But playing a game on a PS3 on a 50 plasma is amazing. No worries if the new game will run properly on the console. Couldn't think of anything worse then bringing a new game home and not knowing if the console will play it or not.
At least on paper I am right. The higher end components of PCs are certainly better than any consoles out there. But Speedy is right....it depends on the game developers to make games that can take advantage of these jigh-end components.

And if I'm not wrong I think they're making Crysis 2 to also play on PS3? :( If that's the case hopefully the PC version won't suffer the same problems other games that are multi-platform suffer.

plod
08-01-2010, 11:38 AM
At least on paper I am right. The higher end components of PCs are certainly better than any consoles out there. But Speedy is right....it depends on the game developers to make games that can take advantage of these jigh-end components.

And if I'm not wrong I think they're making Crysis 2 to also play on PS3? :( If that's the case hopefully the PC version won't suffer the same problems other games that are multi-platform suffer.

When I said PC gaming was dead, it was a bit tongue and cheek. Games platforms that were originally PC biased COD for example, on the latest title their have stopped dedicated servers for them. So when once games on the PC were the most important market for the developers, it is now consoles. Any new cross platform game out these days, the PC version is only a fraction of the sales of the consoles.

Battleneter2
08-01-2010, 11:43 AM

And Xbox 360. But yea it will be very interesting to see what Crytek do as they already clearly stated Cryengine 2 had no chance of running on the consoles due to here hardware limitations. One suspects Cryengine 3 will be nerfed and Crysis 2 will be far less of a Sandbox and more heavily scripted like Modern warfare which will be a huge shame.

Sweep
08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I don't have a console but I think that gamers are possibly partly responsible for better, faster, grunty and so on PCs.

plod
08-01-2010, 12:22 PM
I would say gaming is the biggest reason for hardware development or was

Gobe1
08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
There are no new consoles due for release, except perhaps a HD wii

hueybot3000
08-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Every aspect of gaming is better on pc except for the need to update, but even then a pc thats a year or even 2 years old could play a new game and its still likely to look better than a console.

Il agree racing games are better on console, but when you have xbox controller + full hd on the computer the console doesnt have a chance. Any game that requires precision with a pointer (FPS) and pretty much everything else is alot easier with a mouse and keyboard.

I played alot of PS1 and PS2 before I started gaming more heavily on PC and I wont be going back.

Consoles are ruining PC gaming as well with all the crappy ports we seem to be getting. GTA4 for example. If they didnt have to spend so much time optimizing it for consoles then they might have put some time into optimizing it for PC

And as Sweep and Plod said, gaming is the reason hardware is getting better, even for consoles. But consoles will always follow the PC benchmark I reckon

toonttm
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I bought my first gaming pc after playing Medal of Honor on console then on pc. The console version was simply to simplistic and lacked the depth and skills required on the pc version. Funnily enough, the owner of the console gave up in frustration when he attempted the pc version.

Since then I have maintained a good pc, have built an extensive game collection and now mainly play online. I still play console games when I am offered and still find them as something for quick 'pick up/put down' amusement, not for any really involved or in-depth game play.

So if you intend to game a lot, go PC, if you are more casual about gaming go console, but be careful, it is funny how the casual gamer can become a serious gamer...lol

pctek
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Played Wolfenstein demo fine despite it asking a 6800GT and a 3.2Ghz. Would it slow down at high reso? I was at 1440x900 abouts.

How are the two compared in terms of graphic quality and within reason to the human eye? Would a console be cheaper that you don't need to upgrade the hardware and can play games for a good few years?

Intel Q8200 , ATI 4830
Games do slow down the higher the res.

PCs beat the pants off consoles. No question. End of story.

Yes consoles are cheaper in that they only bring new ones out every few years whereas graphics cards are yearly.

However.
If you play low-end games, it probably isn't a big deal.

If you don't play the latest games as soon as they are out it probably doesn't matter.

If its a Console Port, then it's probably crap on the PC anyway.

But.

If its high end and designed for the PC and you have the money for the hardware then the PC rules.

Like Crysis. Or Far Cry 2.

With a 5890.

Your card is low end.
Youre CPU is ok.

The graphics card is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT part in the PC for gaming. That can't be stressed enough.

Once you have played high end games with all the graphic effects on maximum, at high resolution with the latest hardware, you can't ever settle for crap again.

xyz823
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Every aspect of gaming is better on pc except for the need to update, but even then a pc thats a year or even 2 years old could play a new game and its still likely to look better than a console.

Il agree racing games are better on console, but when you have xbox controller + full hd on the computer the console doesnt have a chance. Any game that requires precision with a pointer (FPS) and pretty much everything else is alot easier with a mouse and keyboard.

I played alot of PS1 and PS2 before I started gaming more heavily on PC and I wont be going back.

Consoles are ruining PC gaming as well with all the crappy ports we seem to be getting. GTA4 for example. If they didnt have to spend so much time optimizing it for consoles then they might have put some time into optimizing it for PC

And as Sweep and Plod said, gaming is the reason hardware is getting better, even for consoles. But consoles will always follow the PC benchmark I reckon

I agree, I have a mid range $1600 HP laptop which plays MW2 on about mid settings and looks amazing. Dirt 2 also is set to about medium and looks ALOT better than the ps3 version.

PC gamers are still considered "anti-social" but people play ps3 and xbox for hours on end and no one blinks an eye. Some people seem to think that the only PC games are WOW and have never heard of Crysis or Far Cry or even realise that games are ported onto consoles from PCs. They also think that the PC versions of games are "crap" because you have to play with a keyboard. I agree that switching from a controller to keyboard/mouse feels **** at the start but when you get used to it you will never go back.

I told a friend that I was playing Dirt 2 on computer and he said "Pfffft its impossible to play with a keyboard" but when I showed him my Xbox controller for the PC and the graphics his jaw dropped.