PDA

View Full Version : Acer machine crashed

lakewoodlady
06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Acer Aspire PC
VISTA Home Premium SP2
4GB RAM

Earlier today I was chatting with someone on Yahoo. Other person on Yahoo, me on MSN.
I downloaded a photo file and saved it to the desktop. MSSE picked it up as a virus and said it was being cleaned, then it all went haywire. I turned the PC off and tried to boot it into Safe Mode. It got as far as Welcome then screen went black and a notice popped up with this:

c:\Users\Steve's computer\env.exe
Windows cannot access the specified path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.

I have tried the Startup Repair option, and the System restore option but no luck. Also have tried to boot into all the safe mode options except with Command prompt.

What do I have to type into the Command prompt?

Please help, fast losing hair :badpc:

Am using my laptop to type this.

LL

wainuitech
06-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Have a look here (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-System-Restore-from-a-command-prompt) if that doesn't work try "C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe" ( without the "")

lakewoodlady
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi Wainuitech,
Ok, I tred that suggestion and when I pressed Enter it said that System restore was already running. So I am left with Command prompt window and nothing seems to be happening.

LL

lakewoodlady
06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Ah, it is now restoring it, will do a restart now and see what happens!

LL

lakewoodlady
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
w00t! that has done it. Many thanks!!!

:thanks:thanks:thanks

wainuitech
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Good it was fixed :thumbs: