PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive - Recovery

Lizard
06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a Seagate Freeagent external had drive that suffered a fairly sharp jolt onto the ground, from the desk about 3 feet up. It was plugged in and connected at the time, though it wasn't writing as far as I know.

When I re-connected it, Windows didn't even acknowledge it was plugged in. I've removed it from it's case, and extracted the hard drive itself. I removed the proprietary interface card, and underneath it had standard SATA connectors (data and power). I've plugged it into my computer direct, and it still won't recognise it. It's making a low, rhythmic buzzing noise on and off, every second (now just stopped, after about 5 minutes, but still won't recognise it).

Is there any practical way to get this drive up and running again, or is it now just a paperweight?

gary67
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Try using a live Linux CD but it sounds like it's trying to spin up but can't

angry
07-01-2010, 12:55 AM
We commend unto thy hands of mercy, most merciful Father, the soul of this our brother departed, and we commit his body to the ground, earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. And we beseech thine infinite goodness to give us grace to live in thy fear and love and to die in thy favour, that when the judgement shall come which thou hast committed to thy well-beloved Son, both this our brother and we may be found acceptable in thy sight. Grant this, O merciful Father, for the sake of Jesus Christ, our only Saviour, Mediator, and Advocate.

george12
07-01-2010, 12:59 AM
I have a Seagate Freeagent external had drive that suffered a fairly sharp jolt onto the ground, from the desk about 3 feet up. It was plugged in and connected at the time, though it wasn't writing as far as I know.

When I re-connected it, Windows didn't even acknowledge it was plugged in. I've removed it from it's case, and extracted the hard drive itself. I removed the proprietary interface card, and underneath it had standard SATA connectors (data and power). I've plugged it into my computer direct, and it still won't recognise it. It's making a low, rhythmic buzzing noise on and off, every second (now just stopped, after about 5 minutes, but still won't recognise it).

Is there any practical way to get this drive up and running again, or is it now just a paperweight?

A data recovery company can get the data off it, but it will be expensive. If it makes an unusual noise, that almost always indicates that you won't be able to get anything off it yourself, because it's physically damaged.

You're looking at $500-2000 depending on the extent of the damage, at my best guess. The chance of success is very high though if you're willing to pay.

There is a "freezer trick" but I don't think it ever works for dropped drives.

beeswax34
07-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Isnt the next step running a Linux distro and seeing if it can recognize the drive?

Lizard
07-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Using a Linux distro didn't work. I think I'll buy a small hard-drive shaped coffin for it, give it three days, and see if it resurrects itself. ;)

Thanks guys

Sweep
07-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Put the hard drive away until Easter and then do it.