PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate pictures

kenj
06-01-2010, 06:26 PM
As a result of a big crash some time ago, I have lots of photos, quite a few of which are duplicated but with different names.

Easy to do if they have the same file names but no such luck in this case. I renamed quite a lot at an early date.

Does anyone know if there is a program that will look at scene similarity? I guess a bit like the new cameras with face ID and can be searched on the computer.

Thanks

Ken :crying

johcar
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Assuming they are digital, rather than scanned photos, you need somethng that looks at the EXIF data...

SurferJoe46
06-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Google has the possibility of deleting duplicate pixs in Picasa 3.

Maybe if you use the histographic device by toggling it ON it can differentiate.

Paul.Cov
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey, all you need is a duplicate file finder, which allows filters to enable you to limit the search for duplicate jpg files.

Can't remember the name of the one I recently installed on my grunt machine (which is turned off), but Moleskin Clone remover is another one that might do the trick for you.

Moleskin will enable you to export the list of duplicates to a csv file so you can then edit it further (if you wish) using Word or Excel, or create your own scripts to deal with the results

SurferJoe46
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey, all you need is a duplicate file finder, which allows filters to enable you to limit the search for duplicate jpg files.

Can't remember the name of the one I recently installed on my grunt machine (which is turned off), but Moleskin Clone remover is another one that might do the trick for you.

Moleskin will enable you to export the list of duplicates to a csv file so you can then edit it further (if you wish) using Word or Excel, or create your own scripts to deal with the results

The problem there as I see it is that he has renamed some of the same pixs with different names and that might mess things up.

The camera model and exposure values, etc., ARE collected by Picasa3 and I think a filter can be used with that setting to delete the duplicates, ignoring the names.

FoxyMX
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
The problem there as I see it is that he has renamed some of the same pixs with different names and that might mess things up.

There is software that will look at images and determine whether they are the same file regardless of what they are named. I've used one in the past.

kenj, it has been years since I used my program to do what you want to do so I'm not sure which one it is in my collection. I'll post the list of programs that I have in my Downloads folder and let you do the research. I do know that the website specifically said that it can sniff out duplicate image files.

comparator (compare-dup-files.exe)
duplicate detector (dd.zip)
duplicate files (doublekiller.zip)
easy duplicate
file differences (csdiff.zip)
foldermatch

My programs are quite old but newer versions should still be available.

Nomad
06-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I have only used Lightroom, it is a free demo on the net full function. There might be others ..

You can throw all the images to one folder that can have subfolders. You can select the parent folder and import all pictures and tick the option, don't import suspect duplicates.

pcuser42
07-01-2010, 08:17 AM
http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/

It looks at the file contents to check for duplicates. It's free as well.

PinoyKiw
07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Thumbsplus will search all images in a tree or folder or system as directed by you and will then show those images so you can delete.

Not sure if Thumbsplus is available as a demo or not.

What about InFranView, does that sort out duplicates ? No longer have it installed so I cannot remember.

bob_doe_nz
07-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Easy Photo Compare (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/VisualPhotoCompare.shtml)

It's an older program, but it does what you need (mostly)

Searches based on photo content and displays output in html

kenj
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys... found 51 using Easy Duplicate Finder

Ken :thanks