PDA

View Full Version : DVD Writer Problem

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys, I am having trouble with my DVD writer not recognizing any the discs (DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW) this happens on both my desktop computer and my laptop. "The Disc in the drive is not a writerble CD or it is full " appears when I insert a disc to write the selected files. This problem has only just happened, could it be due to a recent M/S update ?????? Cheers Grampsey.

Zippity
06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Have you run a lens cleaner through the DVD recorder/player lately?

What Brand of media are you using?

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Is this an external drive?
Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the drive?
Tried a different brand of discs?
Have you tried a cd rather than a dvd?

"The Disc in the drive is not a writable CD or it is full "
(I have had problems with an optical drive that would read/write dvds but not cds).

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Zippity, no I have never used a cleaner, the fact that the problem is on BOTH the desktop and the laptop seams strange -- the only recent changes to both computers that I can think of is the M/s updates. I use TDK discs. Cheers G.

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi feersumendjinn, the drive is an internal one, just about to try a firmware upgrade. Strange it will write CDs !!!!! G.

wratterus
06-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I've seen a few DVD RW drives that will work with CDs but not DVDs, CDs require less precision to read and write, if the laser is on the way out it's not uncommon for CDs to work but not DVDs for a while, eventually you'll find that it gives up all together.

This is weird that it's happened with the notebook and desktop at the same time though, it may well be a software thing. What software are you using to write the disks?

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Yep. both computers will write to CD's but not DVD's.

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd say your drive is dying (the one I had trouble with, was replaced under warranty), give the firmware/cleaning a go though.

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2010, 04:15 PM
What version of windows are on both? Dont think its an update. What program are you using to burn whatever to it? If youre using XP, it doesnt support burning to DVD natively. Without an update

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Speedy, XP Home SP3. I use the XP for burning. What is the best way to do an update ?? cheers Grampsey.

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Thats why it wont burn to dvd if youre using XP. It doesnt support it. You need this (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B5F726F1-4ACE-455D-BAD7-ABC4DD2F147B&displaylang=en). Thats what that error meant. The Disc in the drive is not a writable CD (notice it says CD, NOT DVD), or it is full. Which is isnt. Its a rewritable dvd. This update is for blu-ray burners (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=63ab51ea-99c9-45c0-980a-c556746fcf05&displaylang=en&displaylang=en)

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Good thinkin' Speedy :)
(The one question I didn't ask (assumed as he said this

This problem has only just happened, that he'd had it working:p)

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it wasnt till I noticed noone had asked WHAT OS he was using. Then I had a guess it was XP. And that he was using XP for the burning (why the dvd burning wasnt working). :) It may have been his first try at burning to DVD (why he said the problem has only just happened). Because he's never tried it before

Grampsey
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys, I tried the windows update KB 932716 - it stil came up with the same notice "The Disc in the drive is not a writerble CD or it is full " I am obviously doing something wrong. Had a rethink and used "Nero" -- great it worked !!!!!!! Will try XP again tomorrow. Many Many thanks guys, G.

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Hmmm, was it a dvd you had written to before?? Nero should work. Well any program that supports burning to dvd will work