PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird

sarel
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Installing TBird, I printed off the instruction set from Xtra's website, but it seems a bit old because the screens that I had did not correspond to the "how to" set. Is there any other updated set of generic instructions that you guys know of?

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
06-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Go to the tbird site. It shouldnt matter WHAT the screen looks like. The settings will be the same

sarel
06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Of course, Speedy. Thanks. Didn't think of that. *Blush*

sarel

wratterus
06-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Good on ya for installing TB Sarel, if you want it to look more like Outlook get this (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/895), and if you want a calendar get this (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/2313). :thumbs:

Phil B
06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I've been using Tbird for quite a while now. It amazes me as to how much you can do with it & it's free too :thumbs:

sarel
07-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah but I still haven't used it - have a similar problem than the other poster (and I think Speedy).

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2010, 08:03 AM
Yup I did have probs. Stupid error about smtp. It went in the bin about 2 weeks ago. I've gone back to windows mail / Outlook

mzee
07-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Concerning the SMTP setting, as I remember it did not like the entry "smtp.vodafone.co.nz", only wanted "vodafone.co.nz".

I installed the Chinese version of Thunderbird last week. The problem was how to set it up as I can't read Chinese? I installed the English version as well and set that up. They must share a common ini file because the Chinese version set itself up. The same happened with Fire Fox.

kjaada
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Have used TB for many years on XP and linux and I think (not positive tho)
That POP and SMTP have to be in capitals.Have had a few instances where installs did not work but changed smtp to capitals and "walla"

Speedy Gonzales
07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Must be a strange program then. Since Outlook and Windows mail dont have to be in caps to work

kjaada
07-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Must be a strange program then. Since Outlook and Windows mail dont have to be in caps to work
I am can not be certain but have had occasions when it worked and it may have been a coincidence.That was with Ihug and their addresses are given as SMTP.ihug etc.Not at home with my own puter to test it for a few weeks.

decibel
07-01-2010, 07:37 PM
That POP and SMTP have to be in capitals.Have had a few instances where installs did not work but changed smtp to capitals and "walla"

All lower case here - and I think Thunderbird is great.

One thing to experiment with is - try either smtp.xtra.co.nz OR send.xtra.co.nz

Sweep
07-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Or just carry on using what works for you which is what I have done.

sarel
08-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah Sweep I agree. Been trying now for some days to get it to work, no luck. Thinking of uninstalling it and dumping it. But then, this frickin IE problem of mine won't disappear. So I'm pretty much b*ggered.

sarel

kjaada
08-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Are you sure the problem with ie is not the same problem?
I have a neighbor (she is 65 and not too puter literate) and
she has just installed TB no problem.
Maybe a HJT log for Speedy and others might show something.

Speedy Gonzales
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Whats wrong with IE? Whats it doing or not doing?

mzee
18-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Outgoing Mail must use the SMTP server of your Internet provider.
Incoming mail uses the POP3 server of the Mail account holder.

eg: If you are connected to Xtra your server is SMTP.xtra.co.nz
If your Mail account is with Ihug your server is pop3.ihug.co.nz

If the outgoing mail is not via your provider's server it will not send it.

pcrookie
19-01-2010, 02:51 PM
I have been using TB and it runs like a dream compared to MS Office. It has been more than 4 years now and I ensure that I do the updates and it has been great. Pleased to recommend this!

mikebartnz
19-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Concerning the SMTP setting, as I remember it did not like the entry "smtp.vodafone.co.nz", only wanted "vodafone.co.nz".
Well here "smtp.vodafone.co.nz" works fine and everything in small caps. That is with Vodafone and gmail and clear are the same.

sarel
20-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Speedy, my Outlook Express will not d/l my emails from the server for no reason at all (it continually asks for login details), sometimes for days on end. Nothing changes, and all of a sudden it goes back to normal. I can read webmail at all times though. Have used HelpDesk, no luck. Changed settings. Checked everywhere, including firewall, etc. It's really puzzling.

sarel

Speedy Gonzales
21-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Well looks like TB 3.01 (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/3.0.1/releasenotes/) is out now. So, that may fix a lot of probs (it fixes 125 bugs)

Hobbit123
28-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Why strange? It is a very good program!

kjaada
28-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Why strange? It is a very good program!
I think you may have got it WRONG:
What Speedy is saying is,there is a new version of TB out and it fixes some
previous problems.

JJJJJ
28-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Thunderbox Yuk ! I use it because it is marginaly better than windows mail.
No contact list. Won't read WAB file. Still haven't worked out how to sign mail automaticaly.

Why wont OE work with win7 64 bit?

kjaada
28-01-2010, 01:29 PM
No contact list. Won't read WAB file. Still haven't worked out how to sign mail automaticaly.

You may be on the wrong wave length here.
Others do not have problems.
I have a contact list and can sign automatically.
Wab is a windows thing designed to keep people locked
in to windows.

mikebartnz
28-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Totally wrong.
You can create a contact list.
You can import a WAB file.
You can have emails signed automatically.
Back to school for you.:)

JJJJJ
28-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Totally wrong.
You can create a contact list.
You can import a WAB file.
You can have emails signed automatically.
Back to school for you.:)

How? How? How?

Please explain.

Sweep
28-01-2010, 07:30 PM
I had a look at known issues and decided not to have a play with the new version.

mikebartnz
28-01-2010, 09:29 PM
How? How? How?

Please explain.
Open up the address book and go New List instead of new contact.
While in the address book got to Tools/Import to import your WAB file.
To have emails signed automatically go to Account Setting and set Attach the signature from a file instead or create it in the box above.
I'm in Linux but it will be similar.
Now that wasn't too hard was it.

Edit : You may need to export your WAB file first. Can't test things here.