PDA

View Full Version : Laptop died?

Bright1
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

I am having trouble with my laptop after flying back from Auckland yesterday afternoon. It was working fine when we left but now we are home when we start it up it comes up with a blue box saying "select boot device" and has 4 choices, Boot from Hard disk, Boot from floppy drive, boot from CD/DVD, and Boot from LAN, if I select any of them the screen flashes black and then goes back to teh scrren saying "select boot device". I think it may have been knocked on the plane (it was in a laptop bag inside another bag that was checked in). Anyone got any ideas on what is wrong and or how to fix it. It has no external devices attached when I start it up.

Thanks for your help

HAL9000
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Hmmmm.

Reminds me of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtml5rWA9ZQ#

My initial gut feeling is that the HDD needs reseating, but that would be a wild guess.

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 12:35 PM
+1 that's the first thing I would try too.

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Sounds like the HDD has possibly died, from rough handling (or maybe the HDD has come loose from its socket to the motherboard, take the cover off and have a look (remove battery/mains lead first), not likely though, usually a tight fit).
Will it boot up from a bootable cd/dvd (your OS disc or recovery disc)?

Bright1
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Sounds like the HDD has possibly died, from rough handling (or maybe the HDD has come loose from its socket to the motherboard, take the cover off and have a look (remove battery/mains lead first), not likely though, usually a tight fit).
Will it boot up from a bootable cd/dvd (your OS disc or recovery disc)?

Don't have the os or recorvery disk for this computer. It is a packard Bell easynote around 5 or 6 years old. Might take a look inside tonight but would prefer not to

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Any other bootable os discs (linux live discs from any magazine) or download (Puppy (http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started. htm) or similar) just to make sure the rest of the hardware is still ok.
What model/number laptop is it?, may be able to find service tips for disassembly.
For instance, this may help you
ftp://ftp.packardbell.com/pub/itemnr/7429740000/disassembly_easynote_mb.pdf

Bright1
06-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Tried with Vista business disk and it worked so decided to look inside. It turns out the hard-drive had slipped out of place (was missing a screw holding it there :illogical ) but connected it up and away it went. thanks for your help. Happy new year!

feersumendjinn
06-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Cool, excellent!
Would advise doing an image of the HDD, or making recovery discs if it has the capability to do that if it has a recovery partition (just in case!)

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Good news!:thumbs:

HAL9000
07-01-2010, 01:38 AM
So my gut was right!!!

Glad to hear all is well again.

Question is, where is the missing screw???