PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a point-and-shoot camera

forrest44
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I'm looking for a cheap camera for my sister to buy

What it needs is...
- Easy to use
- around $200 price point (maybe a bit more...?)
- Decent point-and-shoot photos
- Reliability/durability (won't break easily)
- Seen by computer as USB mass storage device w/ standard miniUSB connector
- comes with battery (Li-ion or something) & charger

Don't really care for advanced features, just need something with all the basics above

Any ideas?

KarameaDave
06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
If it was me I would get one with optical image stabilisation as opposed to digital image stabilisation.

Also, one that takes standard AA or AAA batteries is a plus, if you are out and about and the rechargeables go flat you can just buy some alkalines and use them.

Nomad
06-01-2010, 11:52 AM
do a search:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Also look at the reviews where avail ..

Canon is a safe choice. Nikon not that well in pocket cams they better in SLRs. Pana and Fuji and Olympus also worth a look. Some of them also have a wider lens too and a lower f number that can assist in low light.

Yes get OS optical stabliliser. Not digital. Digital I think just up the ISO (more grainy, muted colors etc) but optical actually works in the lens keeps the original ISO.

wratterus
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Canon or Sony

Bobh
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I recently bought the Canon Powershot A480 because I needed a spare camera that was easy to carry (small). It can be carried in your pocket. Consumer gave it a recommendation as value for money.

I have had good results using auto. There are a few more features which I am yet to use. It uses AA batteries with a memory card.

I got it on sale from Harvey Normans for $169. I have seen it advertised from $169 - $240. It pays to shop around.

tutaenui
06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Try to get one with a viewfinder as well as a LCD screen. It will make taking pictures in bright light so much easier!

Phil B
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
I bought my wife a Panasonic FS62 for Xmas after quite a bit of Googling, looking at comparisons & reviews etc. I needed one with a fully auto easy mode + it takes good pictures. Technology & wife, not a good mix lol

mcginty
08-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I bought my wife a camera about 2 years ago and the salesman talked us out of AA batteries and a viewfinder, both of which I regret. The batteries make the camera slightly bigger but rechargeables for intermittent use are a pain. She really struggles with the LCD viewfinder in bright light.