PDA

View Full Version : Slowing Computer and Freezing Mouse

Merv
05-01-2010, 11:39 PM
We have a relatively new PC that has been getting progressively slower and at random the cursor freezes. At first I tried Ctrl/Alt/Delete - no response; Escape - the same. The only way I can get the computer to operate again is to press the override? button (which I understand is not recommended) and restart from scratch. The problem has reached the point where the machine is of no effective use (this request sent using a laptop).

Another disturbing aspect is that the anti virus programme (NAV) is turned off/turns itself off with no help from me. I tried to update the anti-virus signatures via live update and run a full scan but to no avail; the cursor merely froze up part way through the exercise.

On two separate occassions the following pop-up messages were displayed:

On Start Up

'Reader_sl.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point setvbuf could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll'

My attempt to access NAV.

'uiStub.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure etc, etc as above'

PC Details
Intel(2) core (TM) 2 Quad CPU
Q8400 @2.66GHz
2-68 GHz, 3.49GB RAM
Physical address extension

Operating System & Security
MS Windows XP Version 2002 SP3
NAV Version 16.7.2.11
Slow PC Fighter (installed after the problem first occurred in an attempt to speed things up)

I am not an expert so would appreciate any advice on the likley cause of this problem and recommended ways to correct it.

pctek
06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Get rid of that SLow PC Fighter crap for one thing. They DO NOT work and are often malware themselves.

Get rid of NAV, its one of the most useless pieces of software out there.

Install a decent antivirus - NOD32 is best or if you must have a free one, then Microsofts Security Essentials.

Also downlaod and install Spybot and Malware Bytes and run them both. If necessary, run them in Safe Mode (boot and press F8 to access the menu for safe mode).

Download and run Hijackthis and post the log.